Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

How often do people tell you that you are too young to retire?
Old 09-12-2016, 08:52 AM   #1
gone traveling

How often do people tell you that you are too young to retire?

I was talking to another early retired person who got out of the workplace at sixty and he told me that if one more person tells him he is too young to retire, there is going to be a murder!

He told me in complete furious anger that he has now decided to change the subject when strangers at social events ask him what he does for a living. He used to tell them with a smile on his face that he was retired. They would look at him, frown and tell him that he was way to young to retire. And then make him feel guilty or act like he is some sad middle aged man who can't cut it in the work world.

Is this your experience in live after fire?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2016, 09:22 AM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well, I'm in my late 40s and never say I am retired when someone asks "what do you do?". At my age a response like that would pretty much guarantee a string of further questions/comments that I typically want to avoid. So I just say I'm a consultant, which is actually true. I still do some technology consulting on an hourly basis for several companies, although it's very, very sporadic and part-time. I consider myself about 80% retired, but this concept seems almost impossible to understand for the vast majority of people out there.

It's a bit mind boggling, though, how someone retiring at 60 would get push-back from anyone about being too young to stop working. Sometimes it seems like a strange world we live in when someone gets judged for choosing to (and being able to afford to) live life on their own terms, especially after putting in decades of hard work in their chosen career.
Old 09-12-2016, 09:23 AM   #3

I get that a lot and I'm fine with it. And, no one will ever be able to make me feel like a failure for retiring early!
Old 09-12-2016, 09:26 AM   #4

I am planning ahead but as Sojourner mentions above, I plan to say I am a consultant when I call it quits at work. I probably will dabble in retirement and people will pay me so what the heck I'll consult a little... very little. Plus people will think I am less crazy for giving up a lucrative career if they think I just changed careers.
Old 09-12-2016, 09:33 AM   #5

I just act a bit surprised, and then ask them if they plan on working until someone puts them in a box.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 09-12-2016, 09:35 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I get told that all the time
Old 09-12-2016, 09:37 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Someone snapped at me the last time I casually asked "what do you do?" after meeting him in an attempt to make idle chitchat and went on a tirade about how that's not important and a terrible thing to ask. So there's that response the OP could use . When asked, I just say I'm retired and then usually get a followup about what I used to do. I would take "you're too young" as a compliment, but it's probably just a stock answer.
Old 09-12-2016, 09:42 AM   #8

Well since my BF still works, I just get that look of "oh your one of those girls that live off your BF". Yep that's it, he's my sugar daddy... I just sit around and eat bon bons and have him go to work. or I say Im' a day trader.. people don't like day traders, it ends that conversation. .. then of course I have my ex co-workers who are waiting for me to come back to work any day now.. they just think I needed a some time away.. its like an extended vacation that I'll eventually get tired of.
Old 09-12-2016, 09:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Someone snapped at me the last time I casually asked "what do you do?" after meeting him in an attempt to make idle chitchat and went on a tirade about how that's not important and a terrible thing to ask.
Wow, that must have been a bit of a shock! I know that in other parts of the world, asking someone what they do for a living is considered impolite, but in the U.S. it is extremely common, almost to the point where it's unusual not to hear it when meeting someone for the first time. Hard to believe anyone would get so offended and outraged by such a casual, customary question.
Old 09-12-2016, 10:13 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I have been told this a few times since I retired 8 years ago at 45. It doesn't bother me in the least. I have replied a few times with this: "You know they say that youth is wasted on the young? Well, I say retirement is wasted on the old!" It gets a little laugh and we move to another topic.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
Old 09-12-2016, 10:22 AM   #11
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forced to Retire View Post

Is this your experience in live after fire?

Absolutely not. Your friend is a total weirdo. How do you meet people like this?
Old 09-12-2016, 10:23 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Nobody has ever said that I'm too young to retire. Or suggested that I need to "do" something. But hey, I'm 61 and have grey hair, so I kinda "look" the part.
Old 09-12-2016, 10:42 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Nobody has ever said that I'm too young to retire. Or suggested that I need to "do" something. But hey, I'm 61 and have grey hair, so I kinda "look" the part.
I have grey hair too, so I usually get offered senior discounts, even though I'm under 60 and still don't consider myself a senior.
However I'll take a discount any time.
Old 09-12-2016, 11:04 AM   #14
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helen View Post
I get that a lot and I'm fine with it. And, no one will ever be able to make me feel like a failure for retiring early!
Yep, I feel exactly the same!

_B
Old 09-12-2016, 11:18 AM   #15

I don't get asked that at all. But at 66, I suppose I'm "allowed" to be retired.
Old 09-12-2016, 11:38 AM   #16
gone traveling

Most people are envious that I was blessed to retire at age 55.

Old 09-12-2016, 12:12 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena View Post

Most people are envious that I was blessed to retire at age 55.

I'm not. I retired at 54.
Old 09-12-2016, 12:17 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I'm not. I retired at 54.
52 here
Old 09-12-2016, 12:24 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

I don't get asked as much as I used to. At first I got the "you're too young to retire" quite a bit. It got to be uncomfortable. Now to avoid uncomfortable conversation, I tell them that I'm a consultant. Which I am occasionally.
Old 09-12-2016, 12:33 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I don't get asked as much as I used to. At first I got the "you're too young to retire" quite a bit. It got to be uncomfortable. Now to avoid uncomfortable conversation, I tell them that I'm a consultant. Which I am occasionally.
Don't we all consult to ourselves, especially if we are managing our finances? I say that is an answer that will pass the truth test.
Closed Thread