Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-13-2013, 07:04 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

I was just thinking about this today when I went to the barber for the 1st time since ER (3 weeks ago). I notice I lost the every am shaving habit I had for the last who knows how long pretty quickly. I've been doing it when I see myself in the mirror and think I look like a bum, every 2 or 3 days.
padlin00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2013, 07:24 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I have to shave every day or I feel dirty. Most time I just knock off the high stuff with an electric razor. If I want the shave to last all day, like if we are meeting someone mid afternoon for drinks and/or dinner, I shave in the morning with a safety razor. One of those disposable thingys. They do a good job and it doesn't take too long. I just prefer the electric for a quick shave because they are less messy.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 07:56 PM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.

I shave 1 or 2 times per week unless I have some engagement that requires otherwise.
truenorth418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:28 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zathras View Post
Generally every other day, sometimes more, sometimes a little less.
+1.

Some parts of my face are better for my electric shaver, other parts better for a twin-blade cartridge razor. I can use the same cartridge for a few weeks so when it is used the first few times I get a closer shave. Near the end of a 2-3 week cycle it doesn't give me as close a shave.

Shaving, even every other day or so, is a major PITA. When I am going out dancing or to one of my volunteer activities, I almost always make sure to shave.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:33 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by truenorth418 View Post
I shave 1 or 2 times per week unless I have some engagement that requires otherwise.
+1 usually on Tuesdays and Thursdays (my golf days) and on weekends only if we have an event to go to.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 09:42 PM   #26

Usually every other day, but sometimes I'm lazy and let it go another day. By then it is bothering me so much I can't stand it...not to mention the fact that my luck decreases the more scraggly I get. When I worked, I shaved Sun-Fri, and took Sat off, along with any holidays. My face needed at least one day of rest, but since we go to church on Sundays, Saturday became my face's day of rest.

R
Old 08-13-2013, 09:49 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

I wear a CPAP at night, and if I don't shave every other day- It leaks around my cheeks.
winger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 10:46 PM   #28

I get busy and sometimes go four or five days without shaving. Never did that when working. Any thoughts on a good electric razor? I actually hate to shave but I also do not want to look homeless I turn 66 next week and when one gets my age normally our eyesight gets worse. I put on my reading glasses and then look close in the mirror and what I see is rough around the edges then I shave. I need a good electric razor so I hope someone has a suggestion. oldtrig
oldtrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 11:13 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I need to shave at least once every 3 days or I begin to look like a gray faced old guy.
Same here. Since I FIRED 6 weeks ago, I find myself shaving every 3/4 days. Man that grey came on fast!
NanoSour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 02:56 AM   #30

I shower and shave at least once everyday, but not retired yet.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:08 AM   #31

Me - too often

DW - not often enough

Daily when I have to go to work or something where it is expected, otherwise every second or third day.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:16 AM   #32

Every day, otherwise I look like an unemployed derelict. Oh wait, I am one.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:19 AM   #33

When I am in the USA, I tend to shave about 4 times per week. It is socially acceptable to not be clean shaven there.

In Asia, I shave at least 6 days per week. Being clean shaven is more important here in Asia. I also keep my hair length shorter here, something I *much* prefer anyway.

I once told my female cousin jokingly, you should feel sorry for us guys, our whole lives we have to shave our faces, this hair won't stop growing. To which her reply was, "When you have something like a period each month, I will feel for you." And, after thinking for a moment, I told her, you know what, you are absolutely right, shaving is not so bad . . .
kramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:28 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

I would be interested in a good recommendation for an electric (cordless even, maybe) too.
Old 08-14-2013, 05:34 AM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Every day except Sunday.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:15 AM   #36

I shave when I feel too grungy, or, when I'll be out in public and want to look respectable.

As for keeping busy, that's never been a problem: I have plenty of hobbies and interests. And as much as I enjoy my hobbies, I do like to take breaks from them sometimes - then I feel rejuvenated when I get back to them. A lazy 90+ balmy day for me might just involve a lawn chair outside under the shade tree, and a stack of books - and that never feels like a wasted day.
DayDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:08 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
I would be interested in a good recommendation for an electric (cordless even, maybe) too.
I've had a Norelco (triple swivel head) for years and like it very much. Not the type you use in the shower, just a plain old Norelco. It's cordless but needs recharging about every four days. May be something better out there. I'm not saying it's as good as a razor blade shave but good enough for everyday and quick.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:08 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I need to shave at least once every 3 days or I begin to look like a gray faced old guy.
But aren't we gray faced old guys?
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:38 PM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Every day, otherwise I look like an unemployed derelict. Oh wait, I am one.
Walt, my proper name, as assigned to me when I was in the Navy is Larro-the-Darro {lict}

On a related hair topic, I cut my hair tonight. I do it every couple of months. I used to try to wait three months and do when the seasons changed, but that was too long. The last time I paid for a haircut was in November of 1983. Don't know what they cost these days, but I have saved a few dollars.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:41 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNNIE36 View Post

I've had a Norelco (triple swivel head) for years and like it very much. Not the type you use in the shower, just a plain old Norelco. It's cordless but needs recharging about every four days. May be something better out there. I'm not saying it's as good as a razor blade shave but good enough for everyday and quick.
Ditto that. I would say I use the cordless Norelco most days because its fast and easy (just like I use my gas grill most days for the same reason). Other days I simply feel like a quality closer shave so I'll use a disposable safety dual track razor ( kind of like when I use the Weber grill with real lump charcoal instead of the gas grill).

I'm still w*rking so I shave M-F now and sometimes Sundays if I feel like it. On vacation I might shave 3 times per week. I'd guess when I FIRE that would be my routine.