Join Early Retirement Today

How often do you shave? (Those of us who do that is)
Old 08-13-2013, 03:01 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

How often do you shave? (Those of us who do that is)

In the shower today, while I as shaving, it occurred to me that I actually shave every 4 or 5 days now. The reason for this is I do not like a full beard and "think" I look OK with a 3 day growth. Then it gets annoying and I shave it off and start over.

What has this to do with life after FIRE you may ask? Well I have been FIRED and actually not working at anything that pays for over a year now. I have actually been FIRED for over 7 years but always dabbled in some type of paid activity either full time or semi. during those times I shaved every day or close to it.

Which brings me to another point as to how we all keep busy. Myself I am a busy type that is either renovating the house, doing something to a car or similar activity that I can utilize my Engineering Background. Well I appear to have done all that needs doing in the house, (There is so much trim and tile in our house any more would be silly) and am getting fed up of car work. So I find myself at a loose end. I like to fish but not all the time. so I find myself contemplating my navel (or in this case beard or lack of it)

I suppose I should take up an activity like Trainspotting, Stamp Collecting or Golf. Trouble is I fine each of those pointless and boring. And yes I rate golf right up there with trainspotting. Very sad as I live in a Golf & CC. Why? I like the way they keep the community, I pretty much steer clear of the golfers. I am about as interested in other sporting activities such as Tennis etc. as much as I am in the others mentioned.

Travel is OK, but my DW still works so we only have the weekends to do it.

Anyone in the same boat as me, what do you all do to keep busy on 90*+ balmy days?
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2013, 03:03 PM   #2
Give me a forum ...

About every other day.
Old 08-13-2013, 03:14 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Every day. It just takes a minute and it makes me feel less grungy.

Other activities: My main hobby of late seems to be putting off things I don't want to do (e.g. clean up around the house). Look for me soon on an episode of "Hoarders." I don't really mean to keep the stuff, I'm just not inclined to go through it all.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:20 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
My main hobby of late seems to be putting off things I don't want to do (e.g. clean up around the house).
I love it! Me too. But add painting to the putting it off list, I hate that and need to do some or pay someone to do it.
Old 08-13-2013, 03:20 PM   #5
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
... what do you all do to keep busy on 90*+ balmy days?
I shave as needed (like Dawg, usually every other day), tinker around the house on DIY repair and maintenance projects on the house and RV, do some KP work, watch a little TV in the evenings, read several hours a day, plan for multiple RV trips (we spend 60+ nights on the road each year), attend grandkid school and sporting events (mostly weekend baseball tournaments), and spend a lot of time on the computer (waaay too much of it on this forum).

Other than that, not much...
Old 08-13-2013, 03:21 PM   #6

Whenever I plan to go somewhere that I think a clean-shaven face would be more appropriate than not.

On average, that seems to mean 2-3 times a week, but sometimes considerably longer. DW doesn't seem to mind, so it works for me.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:28 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Usually shave every other day but sometimes go a few days. No problems keeping busy between house maintenance, keeping the pup happy, and outdoor activities (boating, fishing, kayaking, running, exercise, etc).
Lakedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 03:48 PM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Generally every other day unless going to w*rk.

Keep busy by spending way too much time on this board and computer in general, driving boys to soccer or Scouts, treasurer of Scout troop, just closed out checkbook after being soccer team manager for six years, walk dog, go out for 20 mile bike ride (regardless of heat) (had to give up running as knees have too many miles and years on them), drive boys somewhere, more time on computer, and overseeing investments. Once in awhile house maintenance (last week's drain clog, today's fix turn signal on vehicle) watch Netflix, did I mention drive boys somewhere again?-----O gotta go split wood for Boy Scout troop tonight, it's our main fundraiser.

RE with kids keeps Dad busy!
RE2Boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:06 PM   #9
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
Every day. It just takes a minute and it makes me feel less grungy.
+1
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:07 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
+1
+2
Old 08-13-2013, 04:16 PM   #11

Generally every other day, sometimes more, sometimes a little less.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:22 PM   #12
Administrator

I have shaved every single day since I was sixteen -- camping trips and mountain climbing included -- and I'm not about to stop now. I have always enjoyed shaving, and even more so since I switched to a straight razor.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:32 PM   #13

I've had a full beard about 95% of my adult life of various lengths. If I worked I'd have to shave every day (neck and check bones) but now it's every 2nd day but I'm too lazy and have been pushing it to every 3rd day.
veremchuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 04:41 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

I am a man of habit. From the spring equinox to the winter solstice, I shave every Friday. Most of the big stuff at work happens on the weekend, so I time it for that. If there is something like the recent banking training on a Thursday, I will change up for that. I grow a beard during the winter. It is just long enough to remind me that I don't like growing a beard.

As far as what I do to pass the time. I used to write, until I started spending all my time on this site and my tractor site. My first novel is needing a major rewrite, and I haven't even taken my memory out of my pocket in weeks.

Plus I do have 6 1/2 acres of front yard and a big garden. The near everyday rain is killing my melon vines and making the grass grow like you wouldn't believe. And there is work a few nights a week. {where I'm at now} I love my DW, but I don't like her choices in TV viewing. Work keeps me from making those smarta$$ comments about her shows that I always regret later, but seem unable not to make.
Old 08-13-2013, 04:43 PM   #15

I still shave everyday..retire at end of year... but as to hobby, if you are the least (and I mean least) bit musically inclined or ever wanted to play an instrument, pick up a ukulele. I have 7 now Seriously fun and easy and satisfies any musical ambition you might have. Search Youtube for ukulele tutorials and you'll see the young folks really embracing it and older folks having great fun... blues, rock, country, folk.. it puts a smile on your face.
Tailgate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:26 PM   #16

Every day except when I chop wood or contemplate chopping wood. I chop wood every other day and contemplate chopping wood every other day.
ejman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:27 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

I work and meet clients almost every day of the week, so I don't bother shaving with a razor except once every 2 weeks or so.
LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:31 PM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm lazy and hate shaving, but also don't want a full beard, so I usually go a couple weeks until it starts looking, and feeling, really unkempt, then shave.
LoneAspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:38 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
+1
~1
redduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 06:59 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

I need to shave at least once every 3 days or I begin to look like a gray faced old guy.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote