Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2015, 10:04 AM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets
txtig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Sugar Land
Posts: 282
I don't think I want my fridge ordering more stuff for me . . . unless maybe . . . it's beer. Actually, I kinda like that idea. Yea, let's get a fridge that never runs out of beer!!


Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
__________________

__________________
txtig is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2015, 10:31 AM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,695
Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricane harry View Post
smart phones and computers are frustrating enough, I don't think seniors want more complication in their lives
My mom (age 87) just got her first tablet.

Loves the idea of being able to video conf with me (getting to be a nuisance! I live right down the street, for cry-eye) and get e-books from the library without having to go get them.

She spends the rest of her day playing word games on the tablet and has already figured out that she'll be able to read her local paper online when she heads down to Florida for the winter.
__________________

__________________
Living well is the best revenge!
Retired @ 52 in 2005
marko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 10:38 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 3,695
The title here is "How Technology Will Transform Retirement"

This forum is brought to us via "technology". This forum has sure helped in transforming my retirement!
__________________
Living well is the best revenge!
Retired @ 52 in 2005
marko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 10:48 AM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Mulligan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throwdownmyaceinthehole View Post
I'm thinking there will be in home robots to help when you've fallen and can't get up. My mom used a roomba to vacuum and a scooter to get around - both of those are robotish, so the boomer gen should have much improved assistance. Auto delivery of food is already happening, and wine bottles are coming with screw tops. Iwatches track your exercise and calories, what's coming in the next ten years, auto delivery by drones? Who remembers the Jetsons!

My parents are elderly and struggle with vacuuming. Last week I suggested they buy a Roomba so they would not have to do it anymore. He told me they bought one a few months ago, but couldn't figure out how to use it, so they sent it back. Ugh!


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 11:11 AM   #25
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Throwdownmyaceinthehole View Post
I'm thinking there will be in home robots to help when you've fallen and can't get up.
Or, we can carry our cell phones and call 911 or someone we know for help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throwdownmyaceinthehole View Post
My mom used a roomba to vacuum and a scooter to get around - both of those are robotish, so the boomer gen should have much improved assistance. Auto delivery of food is already happening,
I'd just like food delivery; the auto part is not necessary or anything I want. We have lots of restaurants here that deliver, but grocery delivery, not so much if at all.

I recently bought a house with hardwood floors, so a broom or dry mop seems to work better than a vacuum. No roomba for me.

Now a scooter - - THAT has some appeal to me for future use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throwdownmyaceinthehole View Post
and wine bottles are coming with screw tops.
My father, who passed away in 1981, drank wine every day at lunch and for the last 20+ years of his life his choice was white Ripple. He was pretty wealthy by my standards, and he could easily have afforded better wine, but loved the screw caps and didn't mind the somewhat unsophisticated taste. As a teen I found it extremely embarrassing that my father drank Ripple, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throwdownmyaceinthehole View Post
Iwatches track your exercise and calories, what's coming in the next ten years, auto delivery by drones? Who remembers the Jetsons!
Well, I already have a Fitbit. As for the drones, my next door neighbor has quite an arsenal and promises to have a great time engaging in target practice if one approaches his home. Don't know if he'd really DO that, but anyway I doubt autodelivery will hit New Orleans before we shuffle off this mortal coil.
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 11:19 AM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
braumeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Northern Kentucky
Posts: 8,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
As for the drones, my next door neighbor has quite an arsenal and promises to have a great time engaging in target practice if one approaches his home.
National Association of Drone Sportsmen
__________________
braumeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 11:20 AM   #27
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
ROFL!!! Thanks, I'll forward the link. He loves reading this stuff.
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 01:23 PM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
walkinwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 2,675
Just think how quickly we have adapted to smart phones, fit-bits, video calling etc... While I agree with this being a "filler" piece (with the mandatory "we're not saving enough" dig at the end), a lot of these technologies could come to fruition in our lifetimes. (I'm 55)

I'm hoping that the medical community gets its act together on using technology at the retail level. They love to buy and use expensive diagnostic gear in hospitals, but our everyday interactions with doctors still lag badly where technology is concerned. They are just not prepared (or even preparing to be prepared) to handle personal data being generated by devices like the fit-bit.
__________________
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 01:26 PM   #29
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
walkinwood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Denver
Posts: 2,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
....
I'd just like food delivery; the auto part is not necessary or anything I want. We have lots of restaurants here that deliver, but grocery delivery, not so much if at all.
You may want to ask your supermarket manager. I've been surprised at how many of our neighbors get their groceries delivered. There seem to be at 3-4 companies that do that in our area. Not for us at this time though - we enjoy our grocery shopping.
__________________
walkinwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 01:37 PM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
braumeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Northern Kentucky
Posts: 8,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
a lot of these technologies could come to fruition in our lifetimes
I've been waiting for my flying car for well over half a century now, so I retain a bit of skepticism.
__________________
braumeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 01:51 PM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Mulligan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by walkinwood View Post
Just think how quickly we have adapted to smart phones, fit-bits, video calling etc... While I agree with this being a "filler" piece (with the mandatory "we're not saving enough" dig at the end), a lot of these technologies could come to fruition in our lifetimes. (I'm 55)

I'm hoping that the medical community gets its act together on using technology at the retail level. They love to buy and use expensive diagnostic gear in hospitals, but our everyday interactions with doctors still lag badly where technology is concerned. They are just not prepared (or even preparing to be prepared) to handle personal data being generated by devices like the fit-bit.

I heard an interesting interview from a techie guru a few months back. He said technology has brought the cost of everything down over the years except in two areas....healthcare and education. And they were gunning for that next. He provided a lot of examples that were deep in the pipeline. Interestingly he also mentioned anesthesiologists are no longer even needed but "influences" are still keeping them employed.


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
__________________
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 02:12 PM   #32
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Midpack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 11,963
Interesting article, thanks. As for some replies, this adage has proven itself timeless once again...

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. Arthur Schopenhauer, German philosopher (1788 – 1860)
__________________
No one agrees with other people's opinions; they merely agree with their own opinions -- expressed by somebody else. Sydney Tremayne
Retired Jun 2011 at age 57

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 02:23 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus
aja8888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Woodlands, TX
Posts: 7,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post

My father, who passed away in 1981, drank wine every day at lunch and for the last 20+ years of his life his choice was white Ripple. He was pretty wealthy by my standards, and he could easily have afforded better wine, but loved the screw caps and didn't mind the somewhat unsophisticated taste. As a teen I found it extremely embarrassing that my father drank Ripple, though.
Thanks for the memories! In college, while very poor and living in a rented flat, my roomie and I drank Ripple as or normal "beverage". We liked it so much, we got a black cat for a "mouser" and named him Ripple.
__________________
......."Everybody has a plan until they get punched in the face." -- philosopher Mike Tyson.
aja8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 02:36 PM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.
Jack_Pine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 834
Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I've been waiting for my flying car for well over half a century now, so I retain a bit of skepticism.
Darn Jetsons for razing our expectations.
__________________
The Constitution. It's not just a good idea...it's the law.
Jack_Pine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 02:43 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets
Theseus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 484
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
I heard an interesting interview from a techie guru a few months back. He said technology has brought the cost of everything down over the years except in two areas....healthcare and education. And they were gunning for that next. He provided a lot of examples that were deep in the pipeline. Interestingly he also mentioned anesthesiologists are no longer even needed but "influences" are still keeping them employed.
Now that is a very interesting concept. Industrial applications for automation and adoption of technology have been very bottom line focused. Healthcare, at least from what I have seen, has made some attempts at that, although the applications of technology have been more towards elaborate diagnostic machinery rather than the repeatable and mundane tasks.

Current state: PCP appointment to discuss what ails me. Lab tech for blood draws, etc. Radiology tech to operate scanning/imaging equipment. And all of the behind the scenes stuff, handling, processing, interpreting results: probably lots of "low hanging fruit" as we called it in manufacturing. But the industry needs to be cost conscious enough to start harvesting what is ripe and ready for picking - I'm not so sure that incentive exists, as running up the bills to the highest extent possible adds more to the bottom line. The consumer has so little opportunity for realistic cost comparisons that the inflated bills simply go through the ritualistic 'normal and customary' dance and get paid.
__________________
Theseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 02:50 PM   #36
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
NW-Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 19,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I've been waiting for my flying car for well over half a century now, so I retain a bit of skepticism.
With the longevity pill coming soon to a Walgreens near you as discussed in a concurrent thread - oh wait, they already have it for 10c/day - surely you can wait for another 50 years?
__________________
"Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man" -- Leon Trotsky
NW-Bound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 03:09 PM   #37
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
mpeirce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Columbus area
Posts: 1,589
Although not really "retirement" related, but more "old age" related.

One: I already monitor my parent's locations using gps. Using Apple's Find Friends I can see where they are - and they can see me too (it's only fair). I've talked with both of them about the implications and they are OK with it. In fact, they like the idea that I'm checking on them. If they unexpectedly stop moving for more than a little bit, I know to follow up on them.

I expect my kids will monitor me even more. I already have a WiFi scale and so some day they'l be able to see if I'm loosing weight all of a sudden. They'll probably be able to monitor other vitals by then too.

Two: I'm already enjoying my slightly autonomous car. It won't let me pull into the other lane when there's another car in my blind spot - or when I start to wander out of my lane. And it alerts me when the car in front of me is slowing down faster than I am (and I'm in danger of hitting it if I don't slow down NOW). I would certainly buy a car that could drive me home after dinner in the dark when my night vision starts to get really bad.
__________________
mpeirce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 03:11 PM   #38
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
HFWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lawn chair in Texas
Posts: 12,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I've been waiting for my flying car for well over half a century now, so I retain a bit of skepticism.
I was in a flying car once, a Pontiac Bonneville... Took a lot of energy, and a very steep hill, to get that thing airborne.

Landing was a little rough...
__________________
Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 03:14 PM   #39
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
NW-Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 19,389
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
Two: I'm already enjoying my slightly autonomous car. It won't let me pull into the other lane when there's another car in my blind spot - or when I start to wander out of my lane. And it alerts me when the car in front of me is slowing down faster than I am (and I'm in danger of hitting it if I don't slow down NOW). I would certainly buy a car that could drive me home after dinner in the dark when my night vision starts to get really bad.
+1 on a car to help me when I cannot drive. In fact, I can use a robot RV right now, as the long cross-country treks are very tiring on an RV.

Going from the above features to a full robotic car with no steering wheels and pedals is the same as the advances from a bicycle to a jet plane. It will not happen in a few years. Depending on one's age, he may need Metformin to see this car.
__________________
"Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man" -- Leon Trotsky
NW-Bound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 03:16 PM   #40
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,811
Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
The title here is "How Technology Will Transform Retirement"

This forum is brought to us via "technology". This forum has sure helped in transforming my retirement!
+1

The internet has had a very positive impact on my retirement,
probably more than any potential I see in the things in the article.
__________________

__________________
Independent is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thoughts on buy or lease new car, Technology changing fast rjk514 Life after FIRE 62 01-25-2007 08:50 PM
The Forgotten Technology mickeyd Other topics 2 12-20-2006 09:51 AM
brain wave technology windsurf Health and Early Retirement 0 11-20-2006 09:04 AM
25 Worst Technology Products cute fuzzy bunny Other topics 5 05-26-2006 09:24 PM
Old Technology cube_rat Other topics 19 11-14-2005 01:02 PM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:27 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.