Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-01-2015, 02:31 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

One thing I expect to see further is the stand alone cellphone watch (that at least can make and receive calls) Use it to replace the current button for alerts. Most are used to wearing a watch. Given that many of these include GPS capabilities it would be possible for one to alarm if the watch strays beyond some boundry, or is immobile for say 12 hours. (Just like my Idea to put motion sensors in bathrooms, but have them alarm if no movement in a bathroom in say 12 hours, i.e. don't report motion but report non motion)
meierlde is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2015, 03:36 PM   #42

In order to "drive" a car, I must have an operator's license. Me, and only me, is responsible for its safe use, I don't care how how smart the car is. When a car slammed into my father while backing up, the driver's wife said "I didn't see you". The officer replied back,"You weren't driving."

After jumping through 3 month hoop office visits to my primary physician for three years, and constant complaining and questions on my part, I was able to correct an improper diagnosis code on my medical records. Some a$$hole had me with both feet in the grave, despite my constant objections to the contrary. So much for computerized medical records.

I have purchased a "beef" and a hog annually for the last 35 years that goes in the freezer and sustains us until the farmer calls us the next year. I don't need an inventory every time I take a steak or pork chop out of freezer.

Supermarkets run their weekly ads on a 6-8 week cycle. Buy enough on sale to last until next cycle. Again, my fridge doesn't need to be smart, I do.
Winemaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 03:49 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
I heard an interesting interview from a techie guru a few months back. He said technology has brought the cost of everything down over the years except in two areas....healthcare and education. And they were gunning for that next. He provided a lot of examples that were deep in the pipeline. Interestingly he also mentioned anesthesiologists are no longer even needed but "influences" are still keeping them employed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
As far as healthcare, I think we all know someone who's had a stent/angioplasty, gallbladder removal, knee replacement or such...stuff that years ago was going to lay you up for months of recovery.

Now people are going out shopping just days after what would have been 'open heart surgery' and is now done with a day or two of hospitalization and a 'take it easy for a few weeks' warning.

The cost of that stuff has to have come down just by reducing the complexity and risk.
Old 12-01-2015, 03:56 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
In fact, I can use a robot RV right now, as the long cross-country treks are very tiring on an RV.
That would be neat. Go to sleep and wake up 600 miles away with no effort. Or just lie down and read a book.

I'd guess probably not too many people LIKE driving an RV. They like going places, etc. but not the driving itself.
Old 12-01-2015, 03:59 PM   #45
Give me a forum ...

I just installed a garage door opener that closes by itself if I forget and sends me a notice to let me know. My car also sends a note to my phone if I forget to lock it and I can lock it, unlock it or start it from my phone. I love this new stuff and not worrying about forgetting something.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 07:28 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theseus View Post
Now that is a very interesting concept. Industrial applications for automation and adoption of technology have been very bottom line focused. Healthcare, at least from what I have seen, has made some attempts at that, although the applications of technology have been more towards elaborate diagnostic machinery rather than the repeatable and mundane tasks.

Current state: PCP appointment to discuss what ails me. Lab tech for blood draws, etc. Radiology tech to operate scanning/imaging equipment. And all of the behind the scenes stuff, handling, processing, interpreting results: probably lots of "low hanging fruit" as we called it in manufacturing. But the industry needs to be cost conscious enough to start harvesting what is ripe and ready for picking - I'm not so sure that incentive exists, as running up the bills to the highest extent possible adds more to the bottom line. The consumer has so little opportunity for realistic cost comparisons that the inflated bills simply go through the ritualistic 'normal and customary' dance and get paid.

That is so true. Usually its in a companies self interest to lower costs to increase profitability. The incentive is not there as much. So we are relying on 3rd parties (insurance companies) to do the work. Probably not the most effective way to achieve this.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 09:27 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Why is it that articles that talk about the benefits of retirement in the future start with the opportunity to ... keep working!? Thanks, technology!
Kickernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 09:56 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtig View Post
I don't think I want my fridge ordering more stuff for me . . . unless maybe . . . it's beer. Actually, I kinda like that idea. Yea, let's get a fridge that never runs out of beer!!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Sorry, you've already consumed your quota of beer this week, sir.
scrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 11:06 PM   #49
Dryer sheet aficionado

After dealing with a Whirlpool Cabrio washer, with an electronic panel that constantly was on the fritz (despite the washer being on a surge suppressor from day 1) and sensors that determined how much water to fill, etc, I couldn't run fast enough to replace it with a commercial grade (exempt from residential requirements) Speedqueen, with all manual mechanical controls to set water levels and washing times, no sensors, no annoying safety locks, and NO HASSLES. The smart washiter was forever needing to rebalance itself in spite of being a supposed water saver. took a lot more water and time (sometimes twice as much). I was shocked the first time I washed a load with the Speed Queen how fast and trouble free it was, after having to hang over and nurse the Cabrio just to get it to finish a load. More tech is just more things to break, IMHO.

Likewise, I got a plain new fridge without a sensor in it (other than the main temp). Sadly, while the Speed Queen is a tank, it's hard to find a high quality but low feature (in terms of useless gadgets) fridge.
sansha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 11:22 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpeirce View Post
Although not really "retirement" related, but more "old age" related.

One: I already monitor my parent's locations using gps. Using Apple's Find Friends I can see where they are - and they can see me too (it's only fair). I've talked with both of them about the implications and they are OK with it. In fact, they like the idea that I'm checking on them. If they unexpectedly stop moving for more than a little bit, I know to follow up on them.

I expect my kids will monitor me even more. I already have a WiFi scale and so some day they'l be able to see if I'm loosing weight all of a sudden. They'll probably be able to monitor other vitals by then too........
It's already being done. A few months ago I read about a company which creates small, "smart" modular housing units which can be temporarily placed on a caregiver's property (for example) when an elderly parent needs assistance, but a nursing home is either not an option or not desired. They have some of the smart technology built in which allows the family members or caregiver to remotely monitor the health of the person; monitor vital signs, alert to falls, etc. Interesting ideas, and I expect even more will be available in the next couple of decades.

MedCottage Senior Housing

I'm open-minded about any technology which might help me live independently for longer than might have been possible in my grandparents' time, for example. Food for thought.
Calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 05:48 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I've been waiting for my flying car for well over half a century now, so I retain a bit of skepticism.
I'm reminded of the following quote attributed to Bill Gates,

"We always overestimate the change that will occur in the next two years and underestimate the change that will occur in the next ten."

I think we will see a great deal of change in the next few decades but possibly in ways we are not able to predict. I also have a feeling that your flying car will remain elusive for the foreseeable future, braumeister

Major Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 06:37 AM   #52
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrinch View Post
Sorry, you've already consumed your quota of beer this week, sir.
Oh noooo!! Where's that manual override button?
txtig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 07:02 AM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by txtig View Post
Oh noooo!! Where's that manual override button?
"And I want to help you. Dave - stop - Dave..."

Theseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 07:07 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
I think we will see a great deal of change in the next few decades but possibly in ways we are not able to predict. I also have a feeling that your flying car will remain elusive for the foreseeable future, braumeister
Darn! Ditto for my dream flying RV.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 07:19 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theseus View Post
"And I want to help you. Dave - stop - Dave..."

"I am a HAL 9000 Computer Production No. 3. I became operational at the H—A—L plant in Urbana, Illinois on the 12th of January, 1992."

This movie, 2001 - A Space Odyssey, was made in 1968. Almost a quarter century after that projected date of 1992, unimaginable hardware progress has been made but the software for AI (Artificial Intelligence) has not advanced as far as people expect. It is difficult to model a human brain, because we do not really know how it works.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 10:21 AM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Remember Rhoda? This is my kind of technology...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 08:12 PM   #57
Give me a forum ...

When I think about my generation (X) and how we've adapted quickly to new technology, I see where these things will be almost second nature by the time we are in our later years (I'm 44 and thinking about being in my 70s or so). While today's seniors won't be so interested in the Internet of things, I suspect we will embrace it warmly, to say nothing of the folks just behind us, those pesky millennials!

Bring on the self driving car, stat!!!!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 01:36 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Bring on the self driving car, stat!!!!
I'd like to see that option as well. I think we'll see it first in long distance trucks, where spending $250k+ on the self-driving capability would make economic sense. Clearly not paying a driver would be an incentive but also it could run 24/7, stopping only for fuel and servicing. That alone would be a huge productivity increase.
Old 12-04-2015, 01:18 PM   #59

A company like Google, (Google Earth), will offer cyber vacations to various destinations. Pay using the worldwide currency that everyone has converted to, (gold and silver buried in the backyard has become worthless), put on the helmet with visor and experience your road or airline trip to where ever. Even has the sounds and smells. And you don't have to leave your hover wheelchair.

I can see the beginnings by using StreetView on Google Earth.
Old 12-04-2015, 07:33 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redbugdave View Post
A company like Google, (Google Earth), will offer cyber vacations to various destinations. Pay using the worldwide currency that everyone has converted to, (gold and silver buried in the backyard has become worthless), put on the helmet with visor and experience your road or airline trip to where ever. Even has the sounds and smells. And you don't have to leave your hover wheelchair.

I can see the beginnings by using StreetView on Google Earth.
The experiences you describe are already in the works!

Virtual Reality Vacations
Calico is offline   Reply With Quote