How Technology Will Transform Retirement

Just think how quickly we have adapted to smart phones, fit-bits, video calling etc... While I agree with this being a "filler" piece (with the mandatory "we're not saving enough" dig at the end), a lot of these technologies could come to fruition in our lifetimes. (I'm 55)

I'm hoping that the medical community gets its act together on using technology at the retail level. They love to buy and use expensive diagnostic gear in hospitals, but our everyday interactions with doctors still lag badly where technology is concerned. They are just not prepared (or even preparing to be prepared) to handle personal data being generated by devices like the fit-bit.

I'd just like food delivery; the auto part is not necessary or anything I want. We have lots of restaurants here that deliver, but grocery delivery, not so much if at all.
You may want to ask your supermarket manager. I've been surprised at how many of our neighbors get their groceries delivered. There seem to be at 3-4 companies that do that in our area. Not for us at this time though - we enjoy our grocery shopping.

Just think how quickly we have adapted to smart phones, fit-bits, video calling etc... While I agree with this being a "filler" piece (with the mandatory "we're not saving enough" dig at the end), a lot of these technologies could come to fruition in our lifetimes. (I'm 55)

I'm hoping that the medical community gets its act together on using technology at the retail level. They love to buy and use expensive diagnostic gear in hospitals, but our everyday interactions with doctors still lag badly where technology is concerned. They are just not prepared (or even preparing to be prepared) to handle personal data being generated by devices like the fit-bit.

I heard an interesting interview from a techie guru a few months back. He said technology has brought the cost of everything down over the years except in two areas....healthcare and education. And they were gunning for that next. He provided a lot of examples that were deep in the pipeline. Interestingly he also mentioned anesthesiologists are no longer even needed but "influences" are still keeping them employed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Interesting article, thanks. As for some replies, this adage has proven itself timeless once again...

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident. Arthur Schopenhauer, German philosopher (1788 – 1860)

My father, who passed away in 1981, drank wine every day at lunch and for the last 20+ years of his life his choice was white Ripple. He was pretty wealthy by my standards, and he could easily have afforded better wine, but loved the screw caps and didn't mind the somewhat unsophisticated taste. As a teen I found it extremely embarrassing that my father drank Ripple, though. :LOL:

Thanks for the memories! In college, while very poor and living in a rented flat, my roomie and I drank Ripple as or normal "beverage". We liked it so much, we got a black cat for a "mouser" and named him Ripple. :D

I heard an interesting interview from a techie guru a few months back. He said technology has brought the cost of everything down over the years except in two areas....healthcare and education. And they were gunning for that next. He provided a lot of examples that were deep in the pipeline. Interestingly he also mentioned anesthesiologists are no longer even needed but "influences" are still keeping them employed.
Now that is a very interesting concept. Industrial applications for automation and adoption of technology have been very bottom line focused. Healthcare, at least from what I have seen, has made some attempts at that, although the applications of technology have been more towards elaborate diagnostic machinery rather than the repeatable and mundane tasks.

Current state: PCP appointment to discuss what ails me. Lab tech for blood draws, etc. Radiology tech to operate scanning/imaging equipment. And all of the behind the scenes stuff, handling, processing, interpreting results: probably lots of "low hanging fruit" as we called it in manufacturing. But the industry needs to be cost conscious enough to start harvesting what is ripe and ready for picking - I'm not so sure that incentive exists, as running up the bills to the highest extent possible adds more to the bottom line. The consumer has so little opportunity for realistic cost comparisons that the inflated bills simply go through the ritualistic 'normal and customary' dance and get paid.

I've been waiting for my flying car for well over half a century now, so I retain a bit of skepticism. :cool:
With the longevity pill coming soon to a Walgreens near you as discussed in a concurrent thread - oh wait, they already have it for 10c/day - surely you can wait for another 50 years?

Last edited:
Although not really "retirement" related, but more "old age" related.

One: I already monitor my parent's locations using gps. Using Apple's Find Friends I can see where they are - and they can see me too (it's only fair). I've talked with both of them about the implications and they are OK with it. In fact, they like the idea that I'm checking on them. If they unexpectedly stop moving for more than a little bit, I know to follow up on them.

I expect my kids will monitor me even more. I already have a WiFi scale and so some day they'l be able to see if I'm loosing weight all of a sudden. They'll probably be able to monitor other vitals by then too.

Two: I'm already enjoying my slightly autonomous car. It won't let me pull into the other lane when there's another car in my blind spot - or when I start to wander out of my lane. And it alerts me when the car in front of me is slowing down faster than I am (and I'm in danger of hitting it if I don't slow down NOW). I would certainly buy a car that could drive me home after dinner in the dark when my night vision starts to get really bad.

I've been waiting for my flying car for well over half a century now, so I retain a bit of skepticism. :cool:

I was in a flying car once, a Pontiac Bonneville... Took a lot of energy, and a very steep hill, to get that thing airborne.

Landing was a little rough... :LOL:

Two: I'm already enjoying my slightly autonomous car. It won't let me pull into the other lane when there's another car in my blind spot - or when I start to wander out of my lane. And it alerts me when the car in front of me is slowing down faster than I am (and I'm in danger of hitting it if I don't slow down NOW). I would certainly buy a car that could drive me home after dinner in the dark when my night vision starts to get really bad.
+1 on a car to help me when I cannot drive. In fact, I can use a robot RV right now, as the long cross-country treks are very tiring on an RV.

Going from the above features to a full robotic car with no steering wheels and pedals is the same as the advances from a bicycle to a jet plane. It will not happen in a few years. Depending on one's age, he may need Metformin to see this car.

The title here is "How Technology Will Transform Retirement"

This forum is brought to us via "technology". This forum has sure helped in transforming my retirement!
+1

The internet has had a very positive impact on my retirement,
probably more than any potential I see in the things in the article.

One thing I expect to see further is the stand alone cellphone watch (that at least can make and receive calls) Use it to replace the current button for alerts. Most are used to wearing a watch. Given that many of these include GPS capabilities it would be possible for one to alarm if the watch strays beyond some boundry, or is immobile for say 12 hours. (Just like my Idea to put motion sensors in bathrooms, but have them alarm if no movement in a bathroom in say 12 hours, i.e. don't report motion but report non motion)

In order to "drive" a car, I must have an operator's license. Me, and only me, is responsible for its safe use, I don't care how how smart the car is. When a car slammed into my father while backing up, the driver's wife said "I didn't see you". The officer replied back,"You weren't driving."

After jumping through 3 month hoop office visits to my primary physician for three years, and constant complaining and questions on my part, I was able to correct an improper diagnosis code on my medical records. Some a$$hole had me with both feet in the grave, despite my constant objections to the contrary. So much for computerized medical records.

I have purchased a "beef" and a hog annually for the last 35 years that goes in the freezer and sustains us until the farmer calls us the next year. I don't need an inventory every time I take a steak or pork chop out of freezer.

Supermarkets run their weekly ads on a 6-8 week cycle. Buy enough on sale to last until next cycle. Again, my fridge doesn't need to be smart, I do.

As far as healthcare, I think we all know someone who's had a stent/angioplasty, gallbladder removal, knee replacement or such...stuff that years ago was going to lay you up for months of recovery.

Now people are going out shopping just days after what would have been 'open heart surgery' and is now done with a day or two of hospitalization and a 'take it easy for a few weeks' warning.

The cost of that stuff has to have come down just by reducing the complexity and risk.

In fact, I can use a robot RV right now, as the long cross-country treks are very tiring on an RV.

That would be neat. Go to sleep and wake up 600 miles away with no effort. Or just lie down and read a book.

I'd guess probably not too many people LIKE driving an RV. They like going places, etc. but not the driving itself.

I just installed a garage door opener that closes by itself if I forget and sends me a notice to let me know. My car also sends a note to my phone if I forget to lock it and I can lock it, unlock it or start it from my phone. I love this new stuff and not worrying about forgetting something.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Now that is a very interesting concept. Industrial applications for automation and adoption of technology have been very bottom line focused. Healthcare, at least from what I have seen, has made some attempts at that, although the applications of technology have been more towards elaborate diagnostic machinery rather than the repeatable and mundane tasks.

Current state: PCP appointment to discuss what ails me. Lab tech for blood draws, etc. Radiology tech to operate scanning/imaging equipment. And all of the behind the scenes stuff, handling, processing, interpreting results: probably lots of "low hanging fruit" as we called it in manufacturing. But the industry needs to be cost conscious enough to start harvesting what is ripe and ready for picking - I'm not so sure that incentive exists, as running up the bills to the highest extent possible adds more to the bottom line. The consumer has so little opportunity for realistic cost comparisons that the inflated bills simply go through the ritualistic 'normal and customary' dance and get paid.

That is so true. Usually its in a companies self interest to lower costs to increase profitability. The incentive is not there as much. So we are relying on 3rd parties (insurance companies) to do the work. Probably not the most effective way to achieve this.

Why is it that articles that talk about the benefits of retirement in the future start with the opportunity to ... keep working!? Thanks, technology!

I don't think I want my fridge ordering more stuff for me . . . unless maybe . . . it's beer. Actually, I kinda like that idea. Yea, let's get a fridge that never runs out of beer!!

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Sorry, you've already consumed your quota of beer this week, sir.

After dealing with a Whirlpool Cabrio washer, with an electronic panel that constantly was on the fritz (despite the washer being on a surge suppressor from day 1) and sensors that determined how much water to fill, etc, I couldn't run fast enough to replace it with a commercial grade (exempt from residential requirements) Speedqueen, with all manual mechanical controls to set water levels and washing times, no sensors, no annoying safety locks, and NO HASSLES. The smart washiter was forever needing to rebalance itself in spite of being a supposed water saver. took a lot more water and time (sometimes twice as much). I was shocked the first time I washed a load with the Speed Queen how fast and trouble free it was, after having to hang over and nurse the Cabrio just to get it to finish a load. More tech is just more things to break, IMHO.

Likewise, I got a plain new fridge without a sensor in it (other than the main temp). Sadly, while the Speed Queen is a tank, it's hard to find a high quality but low feature (in terms of useless gadgets) fridge.

Although not really "retirement" related, but more "old age" related.

One: I already monitor my parent's locations using gps. Using Apple's Find Friends I can see where they are - and they can see me too (it's only fair). I've talked with both of them about the implications and they are OK with it. In fact, they like the idea that I'm checking on them. If they unexpectedly stop moving for more than a little bit, I know to follow up on them.

I expect my kids will monitor me even more. I already have a WiFi scale and so some day they'l be able to see if I'm loosing weight all of a sudden. They'll probably be able to monitor other vitals by then too........

It's already being done. A few months ago I read about a company which creates small, "smart" modular housing units which can be temporarily placed on a caregiver's property (for example) when an elderly parent needs assistance, but a nursing home is either not an option or not desired. They have some of the smart technology built in which allows the family members or caregiver to remotely monitor the health of the person; monitor vital signs, alert to falls, etc. Interesting ideas, and I expect even more will be available in the next couple of decades.

MedCottage Senior Housing

I'm open-minded about any technology which might help me live independently for longer than might have been possible in my grandparents' time, for example. Food for thought.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom