Join Early Retirement Today

How to find a retirement spot
Old 06-14-2016, 07:22 PM   #1
Dryer sheet aficionado

How to find a retirement spot

I'd like to retire somewhere in the US with a reasonable cost of living, where the houses are far enough apart that I don't need to see my neighbors if I choose not to, and where it's not too hot and not too cold. I'd also love to see mountains out my window - but that's just dreaming.

How do/did folks find places to retire?
deskpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2016, 07:42 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deskpilot View Post
I'd like to retire somewhere in the US with a reasonable cost of living, where the houses are far enough apart that I don't need to see my neighbors if I choose not to, and where it's not too hot and not too cold. I'd also love to see mountains out my window - but that's just dreaming.
Not a dream if you have enough $$,$$$,$$$.
Old 06-14-2016, 07:50 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

North Georgia mountains, Middle and East Tennessee, Western North Carolina, Northwest South Carolina, Southwest Virginia.

Cost of living's the lowest in Tennessee with no state income taxes for most.

Lake Guntersville, Alabama is another great place--SE of Huntsville on Tennessee River.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 07:53 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am planning on using a 5th wheel to try out several places each year. MN is great in the summer, really between mid-April and Mid October. FL is great the other months. I will be checking out TN, AZ, TX, FL, SC, and a few others.

No matter where you go, it will not be perfect.
FIRE no later than 7/5/2016 at 56 (done), securing '16 401K match (done), getting '15 401K match (done), LTI Bonus (done), Perf bonus (done), maxing out 401K (done), picking up 1,000 hours to get another year of pension (done), July 1st benefits (vacation day, healthcare) (done), July 4th holiday. 0 days left. (done) OFFICIALLY RETIRED 7/5/2016!!
Senator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 08:24 PM   #5
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
North Georgia mountains, Middle and East Tennessee, Western North Carolina, Northwest South Carolina, Southwest Virginia.
Appalachia, from the Carolinas on south is definitely going to be on my list of places to explore.

I live in central NJ - crowded, traffic, snow, so I want to get away from that.
I will eventually inherit a house in FL that is in an area that is not unlike NJ, except there is no snow and a lot more bugs and lizards. I plan to sell it.
Old 06-14-2016, 08:44 PM   #6

Your basic requirements mean in the middle of the US, away from the coasts or gulf. Where are you now? No location in profile.

Any place you live will have a 2-3 months of less than desirable weather. Up north it means cold winters, down south it means hot summer. Do you want low humidity? Do you want lakes or rivers? What is your definition of low COL?

As to how to find the location, just talk to people, spend some vacation time there in places that you are interested in. Especially vacation in off-season to see normal conditions and the crappy weather months.

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 10:21 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Prison.
It's really cheap with included room & board and medical coverage.
They keep the temp pretty constant, and no window cells are available so you won't be bothered by the lack of mountains.
Sunset is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 11:35 PM   #8

Quote:

If you're looking for seeing the mountains with great weather, consider inland areas of Northern California, Oregon, or Washington. My sister moved to Washington in 1982. Mt. Rainier looms large over her house. There is a little snow most winters, but not much and it doesn't stick around. The farther south you go, the warmer it gets.

I have a cousin in a city in California farm country making ends meet on nearly poverty wages, who owns his own house. He has a grapevine and a blood orange tree in his backyard. He rides the back roads of No. Calif. on his Harley whenever he can, which is year round.

My main point is once you get away from the coast, the cost of living drops significantly in that property is not as expensive. Mountain views are much cheaper than ocean views! And those states have plenty of mountains but don't get ridiculously cold unless you choose the high Sierras or Cascades. The topography allows you to see the mountains without being in the mountains.

Washington is quite good for retirees from a tax standpoint. California has lower property taxes, but sky high income tax. For a retiree that works out ok.

The weather is excellent with perfect humidity in most places in the three states. I moved East and hate the humidity of the summers. But I like the cultural aspects of living where I do, so here I am.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 04:36 PM   #9

No matter what place you consider, the weather will not be ideal for all 12 months of the year. That is why we live in the Upper Midwest from spring through fall, when it's beautiful here, and then spend most of the winter along the Gulf Coast. Also, in many small towns in the Upper Midwest, the cost of living is quite reasonable, and you can easily find a house without nearby neighbors, if that is what you prefer.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 04:49 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

Deskpilot, look in the northern North Carolina mountains, around Boone. Low cost of living. You could find some mountain acerage fairly cheap with a fixer up cabin or build your own cabin. Nice weather Spring, Summer (nice and cool) and Fall. Cold in the winter( but not a cold as further north) , with some snow. During the winter you could take your camper and head south.

Jo Ann
golftrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 12:25 PM   #11
Dryer sheet aficionado

We will be residents of Texas and travel to Steamboat Springs for winter and summer. Family is in NE Texas so will move from Spring to around Tyler in a few years.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Capwest28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 02:58 PM   #12

Some of the higher (~5K ft) elevation areas of Arizona will give you a more moderate year round temperature without the extreme heat of Phoenix.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 04:08 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by golftrek View Post
Deskpilot, look in the northern North Carolina mountains, around Boone. Low cost of living. You could find some mountain acerage fairly cheap with a fixer up cabin or build your own cabin. Nice weather Spring, Summer (nice and cool) and Fall. Cold in the winter( but not a cold as further north) , with some snow. During the winter you could take your camper and head south.
Boone also has Appalachian State University which brings a certain amount of culture with it. The area also has the two highest ski mountains on the East Coast in winter. Abington, VA is close by, and they have a fantastic summer theatrical program.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 04:53 PM   #14

The only place in the US with ideal weather year round is So Cal. Unfortunately the cost of living is extremely high, congestion bad, and some other problems. Once you knock So Cal off the list then no place has perfect weather year round. Inland Nor Cal, as suggested above, is pretty nice year round but can be a bit gray/cloudy in the winter but not cold like it back east certainly. Some spots of inland Cali get a bit hot in the summer also; like Sacramento for example. However, it truly is a dry heat and the evenings cool down usually. I think another undervalued place is Reno. Lots of job growth there so economy is booming. Gets a bit cold in the winter and even snows but it's not terrible. Summers are warm but bearable.
Old 06-16-2016, 06:57 PM   #15
Dryer sheet aficionado

Is it a concern that California may be running out of water?
Old 06-16-2016, 07:23 PM   #16

Quote:

That is just temporary. It's certainly not anything I'm worried about.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 07:36 PM   #17

San Diego or Hawaii.

"We live the lives we lead because of the thoughts we think" ...Michael O’Neill
"We can cannot compel others to do our will" ....Norman Goldman
"There never is shortage of the gullible to accept the illogical"...Anonymous
timo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 08:42 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by timo2 View Post
San Diego or Hawaii.
I think you missed this part of the original post:
"I'd like to retire somewhere in the US with a reasonable cost of living, where the houses are far enough apart that I don't need to see my neighbors if I choose not to....."

Those may meet the other part of the request:
"and where it's not too hot and not too cold. I'd also love to see mountains out my window - but that's just dreaming.

I do agree that SD or Hawaii may meet the weather criteria.

Here is an online source that you answer questions and it provides suggestions for locations that meet your answers:
Find Your Spot | Find Your Spot

Another online resource where you can get info about alocation is:
http://www.city-data.com/

You can't spend yourself to prosperity.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now [4/24/17 changed to 80%]
Retired Aug 2, 2017; age 53
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2016, 09:20 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
It (southern California) was running out of water when we moved there in 1981. I believe it is fixed now.
Old 06-17-2016, 05:04 AM   #20
gone traveling

I chose to retire to a university/college town. Low cost of living and good real estate investment potential if I decide to build that into my portfolio eventually.

The city gets Revitalized every few years with new students. Money flows in from international and out of state students too. Thriving and fairly recession proof local local economy.

Technologically modern and always being updated. Lots of culture and food and sports/live entertainment - plus a college/university offers a lot in and of itself.

There are many smaller college towns with reasonably priced housing, large lot sizes and low property taxes . If you want privacy simply select a location just outside the "city" limits

No mountains here but nice rolling hills of trees .

For us, it's a whopping 7 minutes drive and 1 stoplight into town/university and I can't see any of my neighbors houses from my 10 acres of wooded land. I dig it.
papadad111 is offline   Reply With Quote