Join Early Retirement Today

How to help parents adjusting to retirement?
Old 03-24-2013, 05:17 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

How to help parents adjusting to retirement?

Dad is in mid-60s, now retired (let go from job due to personality conflicts), has a pension and savings so money is ok for the time being, but he's having trouble adjusting to retirement. He doesn't know what to do with himself, doesn't have many hobbies, doesn't have a good network of friends. His personality can be a bit prickly at times. Has been divorced from mom for many decades now although still has a friendly relationship with her. She lives a few hours away by car and is still working, but I see her having the same problem in a couple years. DW and I live across the country so it takes a plane flight to see either of them.

I know this adjustment is tough whether married or single but is there anything I can do to help give him some helpful ideas? Are there any good books on this topic that you would recommend?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-25-2013, 12:13 AM   #2
Full time employment: Posting here.

Have him start with the local senior center. I knew a single man who retired and went there all the time. He walked the local walking paths with other seniors every morning.
Mom went to one once and took a bus trip with them once but didn't like it because she was new and everyone knew each other. If he starts young going even once a month he will not be new for long.

Joining a gym might be another thing he would like swimming laps or sitting in sauna is a good way to get out of the house and do something.

Volunteering at a local food bank or driving cancer patients to appointments or big brother any thing he would be good at. I might deliver meals on wheels, do some good and meet people to chat a minute with.

Old 03-25-2013, 08:19 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by old woman View Post
Have him start with the local senior center. I knew a single man who retired and went there all the time. He walked the local walking paths with other seniors every morning.
Mom went to one once and took a bus trip with them once but didn't like it because she was new and everyone knew each other. If he starts young going even once a month he will not be new for long.

Joining a gym might be another thing he would like swimming laps or sitting in sauna is a good way to get out of the house and do something.

Volunteering at a local food bank or driving cancer patients to appointments or big brother any thing he would be good at. I might deliver meals on wheels, do some good and meet people to chat a minute with.
+1 exactly what I was thinking (sr center/library, gym working on being healthy and fit, cooking class, volunteering locally) and if he wants to make a few bucks, maybe a courtesy van driver at a car dealership.
Old 03-25-2013, 09:28 AM   #4
Administrator

I am about the same age as your father, and I was going to say the same thing, about joining a gym.

Help him to find a gym near his home that has lots of other seniors, if possible. Joining a gym like that has added some structure to our days and gives us something to look forward to. After a few months you get to know the others there so there is always the opportunity for socializing if desired, or he can just work out if he'd rather.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:35 AM   #5
Full time employment: Posting here.

If your Dad is on the internet...how about helping him sign up here on the ER forums. Show him how to navigate the forums. Then, he can also get some ideas reading the forums from our crew on-line.

Beware though...He may learn to spend all your inheritance!