Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-31-2018, 07:19 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

2018 was great. Personal and family health good. Financially ok. Spent the winter in Az. Spent the summer doing a house remodel. Did some traveling. Hit the hobbies fairly hard. Sold my boat. Hopefully 2019 will be more of the same, except without a house remodel.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2018, 07:22 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Sold my boat. Hopefully 2019 will be more of the same, except without a house remodel.
The 2 best days in a boat owner's life are the day he buys his boat, and the day he sells it.
Souschef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 07:26 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
The 2 best days in a boat owner's life are the day he buys his boat, and the day he sells it.

100% true.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 07:30 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Another beautiful year filled with good health and blessed with so many gifts of life. I can't think of any thing that could of been better.
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 07:38 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

2018 was a good year. Grandtwins entered the world in June, so we now have three grandkids. Just did another financial plan, and we’re still showing a 99% success rate with room to spare. Headed to Florida in twelve days for the rest of the winter. Life is good.
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 08:05 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Souschef View Post
Never had a boat but I've had a few cars that fit that bill pretty well. I had a 68 Charger a few years ago that something would seem to break every time I drove it.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 08:36 PM   #27

2018 was mixed for me also.

My son got married for the first time, 1/2/18. He was almost 40 yrs old. It was the first marriage for his DW and she was 39 yrs old.

We had to have a cat put down and I was in NC and could not even see her one last time. She was the cat who was always on my lap, when I was on the computer. She was my favorite of the four cats that we have left.

My daughter needed my help with her 3 children this year for health reasons. I spent 90 nights in NC. It was great spending time with them, but also very tiring. My DH chose not to be there for that long, so we were apart more than usual. That was not easy. He would come down and see me, but it was not easy for either of us being apart.

I went on a cruise to the Caribbean in February and we went on a trip to DC and VA.

I went to the emergency room 2 times this year for the same problem. The first time was 7/15 and I was seen immediately, but they sent me home. I started getting sick again and my DH wanted to take me to the ER, but I kept refusing. It finally got so bad, that he insisted. They did emergency surgery and I was in the hospital for 3 days. I had sepsis and the surgeon asked me why in the world did I wait so long.

My cardiologist told me at my last appt. that he did not think that I had Atrial Flutter anymore. I had not seen him since 03/18 and wondered how he came to this conclusion. He was going to stop my blood thinner. My mom was being treated for a blood clot in the hospital and was sent home and died suddenly. I am now wearing a 30 day heart event monitor. He said that depending on what this shows, he might do a procedure like a heart Cath, but it goes to the right side of your heart and then he would try to put me into atrial flutter and fix the problem. (Sounds like an electrophysiology test and ablation). I think it would be great not to have atrial flutter, but don't want a blood clot to cause a stroke or kill me.

Otherwise, I feel very blessed and fortunate.

Need to get back to exercising more and doing more traveling for fun.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 08:45 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

For us, 2018 was a good and uneventful year. We survived the 10,000-mile RV trek though the Yukon and Alaska. The motorhome and toad developed some problems due to the rough roads, but we were not stranded, thank goodness.

Children, and older nieces and nephews are well and stay gainfully employed. Younger nieces and nephews doing well at universities and HS, one the valedictorian of her HS. I had the best blood test ever, with everything within limits (maybe their machine was broken). My mother and mother-in-law are doing well for their age.

All in all a good year, and I am not going to complain about losing money this year.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 09:11 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

2018 was a toy accumulation year for me before the big R in July 2019. Bought a brand new Porsche 911 Targa, new off-shore fishing boat and new Ford F150 for the wife. Took a hit on the equity side of investing but seen it before in the last great recession and came back 300% gain. Health was good but in 2019 I will be focusing more on preventive health with more exercise.
targatom2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 09:31 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KB View Post
I had to put one of my dogs down this year, she had recurrent cancer. That was crushing. But then I got a new puppy which made my other dog and me happy. And busy.
This year was so negative that I failed to even mention that one of our dogs died a few months ago. He suddenly became weak and we found that he had intractable heart failure. He was almost 12 so he had a long life. Our remaining dog is having a hard time of it. She had never been alone. A few years ago we actually had 5 dogs, but the others had died over the last few years mostly due to advanced ago. So, when her brother died she started whining outside constantly. DH now keeps her with him in his office and she is happy. The problem is that he actually is having to sleep with her or she whines/barks all night. I am hoping for a solution or that she will adjust but it hasn't happened so far....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
We had to have a cat put down and I was in NC and could not even see her one last time. She was the cat who was always on my lap, when I was on the computer. She was my favorite of the four cats that we have left.
I would also have a hard time with not being to see a cat for the last time. I have a cat like that when I am sitting at the computer. Sometimes it is one of the others, but this one usually likes to get in my life. She is also my favorite... So hard to lose them. (Mine got a real surprise yesterday evening when she tried to jump in my lap while I was using the recumbent bike...)
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 09:31 PM   #31
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdawg View Post
Thanks to ECYT it was an up year for me. Happy New Year and have a great 2019. Oh, I am 35 pounds lighter from last New Years Eve. Thanks Nutrisystem.

I also have Ecyt to thank for a Christmas bonus .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 09:35 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
This year was so negative that I failed to even mention that one of our dogs died a few months ago. He suddenly became weak and we found that he had intractable heart failure. He was almost 12 so he had a long life. Our remaining dog is having a hard time of it. She had never been alone. A few years ago we actually had 5 dogs, but the others had died over the last few years mostly due to advanced ago. So, when her brother died she started whining outside constantly. DH now keeps her with him in his office and she is happy. The problem is that he actually is having to sleep with her or she whines/barks all night. I am hoping for a solution or that she will adjust but it hasn't happened so far....
I'm sorry about your dog. That is why I got a puppy. My 11 year old dog sadly missed her best friend when my dog died. I now have an 11 1/2 year old jack russell and an 11 month old jack/chihuaua mix. The pup has my old dog playing and playing. She is very happy to have a buddy again.
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 02:24 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

The year started well enough.

I lived in a beautiful house (which I spent last year renovating), with my wife and my two cats. We visited my family in France in May to celebrate my dad's 70th birthday. It was a fun trip. In early June, I bought a new car - a Mazda 3, which was a very fun car to drive (I put 14K miles on it in just 6 months, which seems like a lot for a retiree!). It looked like another good year in retirement!

Then, out of the blue, my wife asked for a divorce. It turned my whole world upside down. July and August were just awful, as I dealt with the shock (it was the lowest point of my 44 years on this earth). People who knew us were just as shocked and confused as I was. But I was blessed to have family members and friends who were very supportive (even though most of them lived halfway around the world). I started to hike and bike like a mad man to clear up my mind. The fog started to lift en September and I was able to start contemplating my future.

In September, we agreed on a divorce settlement (through mediation) and filed for divorced. My ex kept the house and the cats (a second heartbreak). All I had left was a big pile of money and a car. After 22 years in the US, I decided to move back to France where my family and many of my friends still lived. I sold all my investments in the US and started preparing for the transatlantic move.

I spent most of the Fall dealing with the logistics of the divorce and the move (closing joint accounts, opening new individual ones, transferring some of my savings to France, retitling the house and cars, etc...). As I started my new life as a bachelor, I made new, unexpected friends in the US. I continued to hike and bike daily. I was reading a lot and meditating. I engaged in deep introspection work (which was life-changing in itself). I regained some peace.

Two weeks ago, I arrived in France. For me, 2019 will be a rebuilding year. As I write this, I live in temporary housing and I drive a borrowed car (a Renault Twingo ). Everything is possible from here on. I should take delivery of a fun new car next week. Then I will start looking for a place of my own.

Financially, the divorce and the move took their pound of flesh. But I got lucky. I cashed in all my US investments near the peak of the market (in September) in preparation for the move. And the euro dollar exchange rate has been fairly favorable over the last few months as I was transferring much of my savings to France. So I can't complain.
FIREd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 03:28 AM   #34
Full time employment: Posting here.

2018-

Turned 50 years old and biggest present was being able to add $6k in catch-up contributions to the 401(K).

Planning for semi retirement at 55

Father passed away in Feb, 2 days after said birthday.

Dear Daughter turned 28 in December and still has no clue. Dear Grand Daughter turned 4 years old and is cute as a button. Sad that she is being raised by DD that has no clue.

Dear Son got a job in his field of study and will graduate in May 2019.

Last two Dear Son(s) still trying to figure it out and just working and attending school, no major selected yet.

2019-

Time to tighten up the goals and budgets for the anticipated 2023 semi retirement.

Try and eat right and get in better shape in anticipation of FIRE
Old 01-01-2019, 06:01 AM   #35

Looking back the most joy came from two trips with my motorhome. France, Spain and The Netherlands. The MH had some niggles here and there but nothing major. And trading the snow and cold of Norway with the balmy winter of Spain is priceless.

On the other end of the scale a couple of family members showed off their narcissistic traits and did their best to bring us all down. Such a waste!

Health: I've had to make new holes in my belt. Probably should blow some dough on a new one!

Money: My mind is slowly getting used to that money can be spent.
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 06:36 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Overall a good year. Spent waaay over our 4.5% due to a one-time kitchen remodel, but that's ok. Portfolio down 4.8% for the year but dividends were our best of all time, so....

My brother continues to slowly improve from his stroke but I'll likely be his guardian for the rest of his life...I worry that he will outlive me; I don't want to dump his care on DW or worse yet (for him), some state agency.

Wish I could go skiing but just not motivated, just not the same to go without him; skipped it totally for the first time in 60 years in '18. Planning a Utah trip with a buddy in '20.

We're kind of on a repeating carousel: As always, spent the winter in Fort Lauderdale and summers north of Boston. Boats are still floating. A nice restful week again in Bermuda in September; planning a trip in April to Spain.

Hoping for a better market ahead.

Happy New Year to all here...you folks have become the friends I've never met!
Old 01-01-2019, 07:34 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Pluses for 2018: Super Bowl win and parade; Worked tax season to help kids; trip to Oahu/Kauai; Son traveled the world, visited us 3Xs; Daughter recovering from workplace accident; Wealth increased due to inheritance.

Negatives for 2018: Both in-laws passed; Kidney surgery. Nuff said.
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 07:39 AM   #38
Gone but not forgotten

This is like a year end gathering of family.

2018... Never would have guessed. Just waking up every morning is a great gift, and having jeanie by my side makes it all perfect.
Four sons and their families all alive and well.

The 2 month blip of being 5 minutes short of not being is now totally forgotten, (as are many things due to dementia onset), and that is not bad at all... have come to grips with it and the anxiety is gone. Now health is better than ever, normal blood, BP weight etc. etc... and AFIB still totally asymptomatic.

Enough. Where we expected to be begin using our savings, we're better off than ever, and about 4% ahead of last year. We never even think or talk about money, as we can have anything we want. BTW.. jeanie handles the bills, and we're holding on to our 812 credit rating.

The 96 Caddy and the the 98 Town car are holding up perfectly... the 2018 oil changes and check ups went without a hitch. Down to just a few thousand mpy miles/yr. Yeah... i know, sounds awful, but we're totally happy with our home and what we do. When I get edgy/antsy, I visit souchef's site and live vicariously. Spent New Years' day going over some of our 100,000 .jpg's taken over the past 30 years.

Asset allocation? 22/30/30. the other assets... 22 training/ 30 w*rking/ 30 retiring.. oh... and 60 years married.

Some times I think life would be better if we were born old, and traveled backwards.

Great 2018... and even better 2019.
Old 01-01-2019, 07:57 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

I am so sorry that some of my Forum friends have had a had year with health issues, divorce, death of parents and so on.

DH and I are now age 68 and in good health. My mom is in her late 80s, doing well living in a Continuing Care Community. DH and I have a great living arrangement, we live in Chapel Hill, NC during the winter (taking advantage of many things on the UNC campus) and in the summer we living in a wonderful mountain area--Linville, NC. I have always loved to dance and in the last few years DH and I have taken up flatfoot dancing, an Appalachian mountain dance (look it up on Youtube if you are interested) and this last summer I taught flatfooting lessons at our favorite mountain dance venue.

We have a conservative asset allocation and quite a bit of cash so the recent market downturn did not bother me nearly as much as it did in 2008. DH has taken his SS, I am taking half of his as spousal and hoping to hold off on taking my own SS until age 70.

We are on the waiting list at a very nice Continuing Car Community in Chapel Hill. They called us this year with an opening but we passed. We are trying to decide when to move into the CCRC. We do not want to wait too late as they have fairly strict entrance requirements so far as health goes. We are healthy now but who knows what the future will bring.

I am happy in my own life but am concerned about the outside world and the future of my state, the country and the climate. I know that there is only a limited amount I can do so I tried to focus on what I can personally achieve.

Happy New Year to everyone.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2019, 08:04 AM   #40

It was a mix year for me.

Most important, DW and kids are doing well. My oldest is sprouting in his teenage years, and it's fun to see him almost as tall as me.

My mother and sister are having some health issues.

As I get closer to the latter half of my 40s, I'm starting to experience some additional pains. I think I need to focus on improving my health in 2019.

I need to stop looking at the news. It's just ugly, which I think is putting a damper on society as a whole.

Financially, it was another banner year for us despite the drop during the last quarter. I'm still debating on whether to pull the trigger this year or next.
Toocold is offline   Reply With Quote