Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-23-2013, 01:07 PM   #61
Dryer sheet aficionado

I've been exposed! Remarkably accurate for me. ChicagoLAND, but not the city itself, with a possibility out to Madison, WI.
I grew up in the suburbs and moved out to exurbia about halfway between the two.
My question to Wisconsinites now... Is a "typical" Madison resident less likely to have the cheesehead dialect as found further north (or even in Milwaukee, in my experience)?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2013, 01:51 PM   #62

Very very cool! Thanks! It gave me a range of three cities and my hometown was right in the middle of them.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 02:13 PM   #63
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Not every one gets all the questions, right? There are some I didn't get. So there must be some true "trigger" words or phrases that narrow things down quickly.

I grew up in ChicagoLAND and got a little hung up at the question about the centipede (I also knew "roly poly" but am not sure if we said that growing up), and the question about the parkway/berm area (I don't recall having any word for it). I didn't get the question about highway vs expressway, and wasn't sure about "rubbernecking" except perhaps in terms of craning one's neck to look at an accident.
I distinctly remember learning what "Devil's Night" was when I moved to Michigan for college, and it wasn't until moving to MN that I found that people don't pronounce "aunt" as "ant."

I enjoy the fact that I pronounce "Mary," "merry," and "marry" exactly the same.
Old 12-23-2013, 02:18 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marita40 View Post
Not every one gets all the questions, right? There are some I didn't get. So there must be some true "trigger" words or phrases that narrow things down quickly.

I grew up in ChicagoLAND and got a little hung up at the question about the centipede (I also knew "roly poly" but am not sure if we said that growing up), and the question about the parkway/berm area (I don't recall having any word for it). I didn't get the question about highway vs expressway, and wasn't sure about "rubbernecking" except perhaps in terms of craning one's neck to look at an accident.
I distinctly remember learning what "Devil's Night" was when I moved to Michigan for college, and it wasn't until moving to MN that I found that people don't pronounce "aunt" as "ant."

I enjoy the fact that I pronounce "Mary," "merry," and "marry" exactly the same.
It is OK to "not have a word for that". Like you, I didn't have one for the "roly poly". We called them by their real name, "Isopod". But in the spirit of this quiz, I said "no name for it", which is probably typical in Chicago. I also couldn't come up with a name for the grass thing.

However, "gaper's block" is a true Chicago thing. (Google it and you'll see what I mean.) The traffic reporters use it all the time. Down here in NC, they call it "Onlooker delays". How quaint. Bless their hearts.
Old 12-23-2013, 02:20 PM   #65
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Not every one gets all the questions, right? There are some I didn't get. So there must be some true "trigger" words or phrases that narrow things down quickly....
When DH took it, his very first question was different than my first question. Maybe each time a random set of questions is generated?

It was fun seeing the different terms. My relatives in New England used to tell us to get a drink from the bubbler when we were little.
Old 12-23-2013, 02:25 PM   #66

Funny, I never heard "gaper's block." But I left the area in the mid-70s and have not lived there since. And yes, Joe, we in Chicago must have just called the parkway the "grass thing!" Evidently it was not important enough to have a distinct designation.

I just took the quiz again (got a couple of new questions this time) and this time it pinpointed me in the western suburbs of Chicago (Aurora) which is right! That's really fine-tuning. ChicagoLAND can have very different accents from one end to another.
Old 12-23-2013, 02:25 PM   #67

This got me thinking about some other trigger phrases that are fun to look at.

Kid's games have real regional names. In Chicago, we call something "Running Bases" that Northeasters call "Hotbox". In Chicago, if you grab onto a car (illegally, mind you) during a snow storm and hang on the bumper and catch a ride, it is called "skitching". Some other areas call it "skeetching" or "bumper hitching". I understand that it is now done with skateboards, so perhaps the name has changed.

Other fun phrases:
- Do you "mash" your accelerator pedal? In NC, they do. In IL, they do too, but the meanings are different. "mashing" in NC just means "pressing". In the midwest, if you "mash" something, you are pressing the daylights out of it.

- Do you "turn on" or "cut on" your lights?

Oh heck, in NC we "burn" our headlights. Check the sign as you enter the state. Other states ask you to "turn on" your headlights.

All fun stuff, and I hope we never become so similar this goes away.
Old 12-23-2013, 03:01 PM   #68

I am familiar with both running bases and skitching. I also grew up saying "davenport" for couch or sofa (never hear that one anymore!), and "adult" with the emphasis on the first syllable and the "a" sound rhyming with that in "bad."

Another interesting comparison are the many jump rope chants we knew. Many are regional, and lyrics to some more widespread ones vary quite a bit across the U.S. I once found a website that tracked these chants according to region. Here's one I remember well:
Minnie Minnie Ha Ha
Went to see her Papa
Papa died, Minnie cried
Minnie had a baby, named him Tiny Tim
Put him in the bathtub to see if he could swim
First he drank the water then he ate the soap
Minnie called the doctor
Minnie called the nurse
Minnie called the lady with the alligator purse
Measles said the doctor
Mumps said the nurse
Nothing said the lady with the alligator purse
etc, etc.
Old 12-23-2013, 03:20 PM   #69
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
When DH took it, his very first question was different than my first question. Maybe each time a random set of questions is generated?
Yes, it appears there are different questions for each sample. Perhaps influenced by electronic address? that would better explain my results.
Old 12-23-2013, 03:43 PM   #70
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn2bwild View Post
Yes, it appears there are different questions for each sample. Perhaps influenced by electronic address? that would better explain my results.
Maybe, but probably not, in that DH took the test using the same computer I did and had some different questions.

From the link at the test site, you can access some interesting archived information about the original study Here: http://dialect.redlog.net/

According to one of the pages at the dialect site, the survey had 30,934 participants from all 50 states plus DC, who input their use and pronunciation of terms, apparently, to come up with the base results that our answers are being defined by.

(apparently there is another active survey going on that is about how English is used around the world: The Cambridge Online Survey of World Englishes)

This is a fun thread and very diverting from the cooking I am supposed to be doing this afternoon
Old 12-23-2013, 03:59 PM   #71
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I am familiar with both running bases and skitching. I also grew up saying "davenport" for couch or sofa (never hear that one anymore!), and "adult" with the emphasis on the first syllable and the "a" sound rhyming with that in "bad."

Another interesting comparison are the many jump rope chants we knew. Many are regional, and lyrics to some more widespread ones vary quite a bit across the U.S. I once found a website that tracked these chants according to region. Here's one I remember well:
Minnie Minnie Ha Ha
Went to see her Papa
Papa died, Minnie cried
Minnie had a baby, named him Tiny Tim
Put him in the bathtub to see if he could swim
First he drank the water then he ate the soap
Minnie called the doctor
Minnie called the nurse
Minnie called the lady with the alligator purse
Measles said the doctor
Mumps said the nurse
Nothing said the lady with the alligator purse
etc, etc.
This brings back memories of my two sisters jumping rope with friends. They had all kinds of verses, but I can't remember any of them.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:01 PM   #72

This was fun! I took the test 3 times last night on my Ipad and the map never showed up so I did it again on my desktop. Some questions were new on every attempt.

When I finally got the map to show up it said I was most similar to Cleveland, OH, Aurora, IL and Rockford, IL. Yep, I grew up in a Cleveland suburb.

It seems that Cleveland is the only place that calls the grassy area between the sidewalk and the road a "tree lawn". We live outside of Cleveland now in an area outside of Akron, OH and here that is known as a "devil strip."

DH was originally from Detroit and I notice some terms that he uses that must be from there.
Old 12-23-2013, 06:16 PM   #73

Fascinating. I did it twice and got an error code both times. I could tell by the maps that they will be zeroing me in to Pittsburgh, with a little southern thrown in when I can make it work. I wonder if it can tell if you are from California?
Old 12-23-2013, 07:01 PM   #74

Quote:
I didn't get the same questions the second time as I did the first—maybe four or so out of the 25 were different.

Quote:
(snip) I didn't get the question about highway vs expressway, and wasn't sure about "rubbernecking" except perhaps in terms of craning one's neck to look at an accident.
It would be interesting if it was possible to give more than one answer to a question, which I wanted to do on a few of them. One of the answers for the rubbernecking question was "rubbernecking is the activity, but I have no specific word for the traffic blockage that results".
Old 12-23-2013, 07:20 PM   #75
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Second time through it was scary. Lived in 2 different areas in my life, long distance apart. It nailed the two, within 150 miles. The third in the report, well there had to a third.
MRG
Old 12-23-2013, 07:29 PM   #76

It located me perfectly. I grew up in CT and it came back with Springfield MA, Worcester, and Providence.
Old 12-23-2013, 07:54 PM   #77

Nailed me too
Old 12-23-2013, 08:34 PM   #78
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn2bwild View Post
Hey, that's a good point.

How can we be sure that they do not cheat by using IP address lookup, which locates the Web surfer to the city or at least the state easily?

Are the results more "accurate" if you are surfing from your hometown, vs somebody who surfs from out-of-state or out of country?

Hmm... Need to repeat the test through a proxy server.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:35 PM   #79

The map pinpointed Santa Ana - only about 100 miles off.

Said DH was from Philly. No surprise there. I think hoagie was the key for him.

We've had intense discussions about whether Mary, Merry, and Marry are homonyms or not. I was taught they were, he pronounces them differently and says I mispronounce Merry and Marry.
Old 12-23-2013, 08:47 PM   #80
Recycles dryer sheets

Born & raised in western MA, college & grad school in eastern MA.

I moved to CA about 25 years ago, but ya wouldn't know it from this.

(btw, re NW-Bound's comment, I took the quiz in CA)
Attached Images
File Type: png Capture.PNG (212.8 KB, 3 views)