Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-23-2013, 08:52 PM   #81
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 18,288
I ran it again, got mostly the same questions, maybe 2-3 different, same result (nailing very close to my life-long area). I tried to pay more attention to the maps, didn't catch anything that seemed that unique.

But 2 of my 3 'most distinctive' answers were 'Do you pronounce cot and caught the same?
My ANSWER: different'


According to the map, most of the country pronounces 'cot' (I slept on a cot) and 'caught' (I caught a ball) the same? Really?

But how do they pronounce it? Do some areas pronounce it the same as 'awe' or like second syllable in 'robot'? Or does the whole rest of the country use just one pronunciation and it is the same everywhere else?

hah-hah, I would call those little bugs rolly-pollys or pill-bugs, but when my son was little, he called them 'armadillo ants' - makes sense, they look like armadillos and are the size of ants. As far as I know, that is unique, so that answer could have nailed me down to a street address!

-ERD50
__________________

__________________
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2013, 09:13 PM   #82
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 5,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Hey, that's a good point.

How can we be sure that they do not cheat by using IP address lookup, which locates the Web surfer to the city or at least the state easily?

Are the results more "accurate" if you are surfing from your hometown, vs somebody who surfs from out-of-state or out of country?

Hmm... Need to repeat the test through a proxy server.
It did nail my childhood home 1500 miles from here. My results indicated an almost equal split between both areas I've lived. There was also a deep concentration around the counties I lived in. YMMV.
MRG
__________________

__________________
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:11 PM   #83
Moderator Emeritus
Bestwifeever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 16,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Hey, that's a good point.

How can we be sure that they do not cheat by using IP address lookup, which locates the Web surfer to the city or at least the state easily?

Are the results more "accurate" if you are surfing from your hometown, vs somebody who surfs from out-of-state or out of country?

Hmm... Need to repeat the test through a proxy server.
That would make sense only if you were posting from the area you grew up in. I grew up 1000 miles from where I live now and it nailed that hometown, without a nod to where I have lived for 40 plus years.
__________________
“Would you like an adventure now, or would you like to have your tea first?” J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:14 PM   #84
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
NW-Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 19,436
All right, my suspicion was wrong.

It's interesting that there are subtle dialect or vocabulary differences that can be so localized, particularly in this modern age where people travel and relocate throughout the country.
__________________
"Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man" -- Leon Trotsky
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 10:52 PM   #85
Full time employment: Posting here.
bjorn2bwild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Western US
Posts: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
All right, my suspicion was wrong.
I still have my suspicions.
DW took the 'test' and got the same exact answer (wrong location) as me even though she saw a slightly different set of questions and gave 5 different answers than I did. She is three generations coastal southern California (same city), very different than my background.
The changeable mix of questions implies some dynamic influence, otherwise we would all be getting the same 'test'. Perhaps a few common questions, the answer of which, change the selection of the following questions + IP address etc..?
__________________
How's it going to end..............
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:03 PM   #86
Moderator Emeritus
Bestwifeever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 16,375
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
All right, my suspicion was wrong.

It's interesting that there are subtle dialect or vocabulary differences that can be so localized, particularly in this modern age where people travel and relocate throughout the country.

I am going to have my adult kids take it tomorrow, as they have grown up where we live now. Won't they enjoy that while waiting to open some presents.

I wonder if the results are less accurate for the gen Xers and gen Yers, who had more mass media influences from Sesame Street to Beverly Hills 90210 to 24 hour news to even standardized school curriculum than my generation, so may share more vocabulary across the board.
__________________
“Would you like an adventure now, or would you like to have your tea first?” J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:07 PM   #87
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 18,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn2bwild View Post
I still have my suspicions.
DW took the 'test' and got the same exact answer (wrong location) as me even though she saw a slightly different set of questions and gave 5 different answers than I did. She is three generations coastal southern California (same city), very different than my background.
The changeable mix of questions implies some dynamic influence, otherwise we would all be getting the same 'test'. Perhaps a few common questions, the answer of which, change the selection of the following questions + IP address etc..?
I'd bet it is partially random, but more likely that one answer leads to a different set of questions. After all, once they have built confidence to rule out some areas with a few hits, they'd want to focus on questions that maximize the differences between the remaining areas. This could be done with weighting on the areas, and comparing to remaining 'high hit' areas.

IP address makes no sense. As was mentioned, you might take the test away from where you grew up (visiting relatives, travelling, moved recently, etc).

-ERD50
__________________
ERD50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:15 PM   #88
Full time employment: Posting here.
bjorn2bwild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Western US
Posts: 690
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
I'd bet it is partially random, but more likely that one answer leads to a different set of questions. After all, once they have built confidence to rule out some areas with a few hits, they'd want to focus on questions that maximize the differences between the remaining areas. This could be done with weighting on the areas, and comparing to remaining 'high hit' areas.

IP address makes no sense. As was mentioned, you might take the test away from where you grew up (visiting relatives, travelling, moved recently, etc).

-ERD50
Ah yes,
It may be that the gradient of different dialects in the eastern part of the country is more precise than for us westerners.
__________________
How's it going to end..............
bjorn2bwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 11:21 PM   #89
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
NW-Bound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 19,436
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjorn2bwild View Post
Ah yes,
It may be that the gradient of different dialects in the eastern part of the country is more precise than for us westerners.
A good observation.

At a place I worked, we once asked around to see who was born in AZ to see who was really native. We got 1 out of about 20 or more. The rest were all transplants, and in fact I have lived here longer than most (close to 40 years).

I suspect people in other places have deeper roots than people in Western states who have more mobility.
__________________
"Old age is the most unexpected of all things that can happen to a man" -- Leon Trotsky
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 12:29 PM   #90
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 5,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post

I'd bet it is partially random, but more likely that one answer leads to a different set of questions. After all, once they have built confidence to rule out some areas with a few hits, they'd want to focus on questions that maximize the differences between the remaining areas. This could be done with weighting on the areas, and comparing to remaining 'high hit' areas.

IP address makes no sense. As was mentioned, you might take the test away from where you grew up (visiting relatives, travelling, moved recently, etc).

-ERD50
That makes a lot of sense. Kinda matches my experience too. Once I answered one question that I knew was a regional expression(youans), it followed with others that got closer to home. Of course this is still a subjective observation on my part.

MRG
__________________
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 05:21 PM   #91
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
imoldernu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Peru
Posts: 4,616
Wow!...
It wasn't working when I first tried it... so a little late...
BUT!!!!
Absolutely amazing... the two places that show up (and I haven't lived there in 60+ years)... Providence Rhode Island and Worcester Ma... about 20 miles apart... I lived in Pawtucket... right in the middle, between them...

You are what you speak.

How'd dey do dat?
__________________
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 07:29 PM   #92
Full time employment: Posting here.
Accidental Retiree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 975
Did you say "Bubbler" for drinking fountain? That might have been the tip off.
__________________
Chief Retirement Strategist
The AR Group
Accidental Retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 07:45 PM   #93
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
imoldernu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Peru
Posts: 4,616
Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Retiree View Post
Did you say "Bubbler" for drinking fountain? That might have been the tip off.
Yes... and the other one would have been "coffee cabinet"... but it wasn't on the test...

Noam Chomsky would be proud...
__________________
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 08:24 PM   #94
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I am going to have my adult kids take it tomorrow, as they have grown up where we live now. Won't they enjoy that while waiting to open some presents.

I wonder if the results are less accurate for the gen Xers and gen Yers, who had more mass media influences from Sesame Street to Beverly Hills 90210 to 24 hour news to even standardized school curriculum than my generation, so may share more vocabulary across the board.
I'm one of the older members here, and it was completely wrong on my background.

Ha
__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2013, 08:31 PM   #95
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Kansas City
Posts: 7,409
Hmmm - ballpark Washington, Utah, Iowa, New Orleans. Actually lived in Washington, Colorado, New Orleans, Missouri. Sorta close handgrenade wise. Also showed some strong color Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan - my parents stomping grounds.

Interestingly my Father trained himself (according to him) out of any Boston, Brooklynese of his youth. Although he could lay it on thick when he waxed poetic about dem Bums (Dodgers) of olden day.

heh heh heh - I spent a year at the Space Flight Center in the 70's and could pick out Tenn., North and South Alabama and westerners aka left coasters like me.

heh heh heh - I still like neutral ground vs median.
__________________
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 09:12 AM   #96
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
JoeWras's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 2,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I'm one of the older members here, and it was completely wrong on my background.

Ha
Ha: I answered all the questions from the mindset of if I were 18 years old. After 30+ years away, many things from my new homes have crept in, so for fun, I made it a point to remember back to my old days.

For example: in Chicago 90% of the time you'll see "Garage Sale", even if it is in the yard. In NC, 90% of the time you'll see "Yard Sale", even if it is in the garage. So, I've come to call it "Yard", but answered "Garage".

Then again maybe you are from nowhere or had a lot of relocations through your life.

By the way, in both NC and Chicago, if you call it a "Tag" sale, you've just smoked yourself out as a true Yankee. Some "Tag" sales are creeping in around here as we continue to suffer another Yankee invasion.
__________________
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 01:50 PM   #97
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Ed_The_Gypsy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: the City of Subdued Excitement
Posts: 5,293
Pretty slick! We had fun with this on this Christmas morning.

It put me from either Seattle, Salt Lake City or Grand Rapids, MI. Parents grew up in Grand Rapids, but I never spent time there. Passed through SLC on business only, twice. Grew up many places +/- 300 miles of Seattle. I recognized a number of the odd expressions and have used them in other parts of the country, but the Oregon Vortex brought me back to the Left Coast.

DD got Spokane, Milwaukee and Grand Rapids.

DS got Tacoma, Spokane and Boise.

No trace of Houston, where they were born.

Have to get DW to try!
__________________
my bumpersticker:
"I am not in a hurry.
I am retired.
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Ed_The_Gypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 06:01 PM   #98
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Mulligan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,382
It correctly picked my state and designated my city as Springfield MO. Ironically, I did live there for a brief period of time.
__________________
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 06:43 PM   #99
Recycles dryer sheets
Cassie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 281
Philadelphia, Newark/Patterson, Providence for me.....and that's about right. I've been in Texas for 24 years...going to try it again and will pick "feeder" versus "frontage" and "freeway" instead of "parkway" The 2nd try gave me New York, Jersey City, Yonkers.....the distinctive word was "sneakers"
__________________
Cassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2013, 07:05 PM   #100
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 5,594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulligan View Post
It correctly picked my state and designated my city as Springfield MO. Ironically, I did live there for a brief period of time.
Got any Springfield Cashew Chicken saved/cached?
MRG
__________________

__________________
MRG is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:57 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.