How Y’all, Youse and You Guys Talk

yep........nailed me in North Dakota! amazing! must hab
ve been the pip, rummage sale and frontage road as a give away! ha!

yep........nailed me in North Dakota! amazing! must hab
ve been the pip, rummage sale and frontage road as a give away! ha!

Pronouncing "Aunt" as "uhnt" gives you away too.

This was amazing. I grew up as a Navy brat and lived all over the US.
The program pegged me as from north Texas near the panhandle.
I have never lived there.

Nailed it for me and for DW. It got both where I grew up and where I live now (not close to each other) and got the exact city we live in for my wife. It is amazing how accurate these are.

I remember a long time ago I heard a guy on the radio who could predict which states you've lived in by having you pronounce a few words. Same concept I guess.

Switched computers and got it to work. They were very close, grew up near Albany NY.

There were all over the place weren't they!

Think they still are. I was in South Africa with a Springfield native, eating at a Chinese restaurant. He asked them to make Springfield Cashew Chicken for him. After a discussion of how it was made he got his order. Before we finished, two other groups of folks(European ?) came in, asked what my co-worker was eating. They ordered the same thing. Maybe it's a favorite in Joburg now.
MRG

The map finally loaded and it nailed me perfectly - New York City metro area. The "sneakers" answer was the big giveaway, indicating NYC, Yonkers (just north of NYC), and Jersey City NJ (just west of NYC). Everything west of the Appalachians had various shades of blue, while everything ease of those mountains but outside of the NYC metro area had various shades of yellow. Least similar cities were Spokane, Detroit, and Grand Rapids.

Ditto. Its funny how south florida is similar - have to wonder if its all the migrants from the NY metro area (myself included !)

Ah, we have 'Interstates' here also, just nothing that we call 'freeways'.

And that age-old question - Why do they have "Interstate Highways" in Hawaii?

-ERD50

I can answer that one for you. No one here (except the tourists) calls them Interstates. The only thing more frowned upon by the locals than calling them "Interstates" is to say "back in the States." We actually just call our "Interstates" "The H-1", "The H-2" and "The H-3". (California transplants call them Freeways.)

Less seriously (but no less true) the real reason we have "Interstate highways" is because the Feds paid most of the costs. No one likes Federal money more than Hawaii. The H-3 cost $80,000,000 per mile. For several years, it came from "no where" and went to "no where", but you could drive on it. At one time, professional photographers made their copyrighted Ko'olau mountain and Kaneohe Bay photos from its disabled-vehicle lanes and overlooks. The environmentalists tied up the whole project for something like 20 years or so.

Now, when you come to Hawaii, save yourself the cost of a helicopter ride and drive the H-3 from terminus to terminus - and back. If there is a more spectacular drive of 14 miles, I don't know where it would be. Arguably, the most stunning views from any interstate highway are from the couple of miles Windward of the Tetsuo Harano tunnel, both leaving the tunnel and especially approaching it. Careful observers (preferably, NOT the driver) can see (crazy or at least FIT) people ascending the "Stairway to Heaven" AKA The Haiku Stairs on the face of the Ko'olaus. No trip to the Islands is complete without an H-3 drive (after all, YOU paid for it!).

I knew of "Cashew chicken", but did not know it was the same as "Springfield cashew chicken". So looked it up and found that it originated from the US, same as chop suey and General Tso's chicken. Learn something everyday.

Kind of fun to do, it certainly picked me as not being a northeastern person, and not much southern. I guess living all over the US makes my perspective change as I was exposed to different areas. Grew up in northern CA, lived southern CA, OH, KY, TX, back to northern CA, and then now NM has changed some of my interpretation of the way words are pronounced.

Generally picked me as western US, which is probably right for close enough.

Back
Top Bottom