Join Early Retirement Today

How Y’all, Youse and You Guys Talk
Old 12-22-2013, 04:44 PM   #1

How Y’all, Youse and You Guys Talk

From the NY Times this morning http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...f=opinion&_r=0

Quote:
What does the way you speak say about where you’re from? Answer all the questions below to see your personal dialect map.
They sure got mine right. Highlighted all the regions I spent as a child.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2013, 05:15 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I did the questionnaire twice, but got no results. The first time I had to authorize pop-ups so I did that. Then I redid it again, but still got no results.

Old 12-22-2013, 05:20 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
From the NY Times this morning http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...f=opinion&_r=0

That is amazing. My mother is from the midwest for generations, my father's family is from New England for generations, but my answers put me right in the DC area where I spent much of my childhood (I really thought it would skew to the midwest based on mother's vocabulary which I presumedt I had picked up). I will be forwarding this to family and friends.
Old 12-22-2013, 05:21 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
I did the questionnaire twice, but got no results. The first time I had to authorize pop-ups so I did that. Then I redid it again, but still got no results.
It took a few minutes for the map to appear for me.
Old 12-22-2013, 05:26 PM   #5

Yep, they nailed it! - western Kansas and southeastern Colorado.
Old 12-22-2013, 05:27 PM   #6
Administrator

The first two times I tried it (using MSIE 11), it hung before displaying the map.

Then I tried it using the Chrome browser. It temporarily hung and finally gave me three cities. I lived in one of them, as a child. Never lived in the other two.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 05:48 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

DH just took the test and it pinpointed his small town location based on the map's darkest red. Really interesting.
Old 12-22-2013, 05:54 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

I filled it out 3 times, in Chrome and IE. Never got a map. Argh.
Old 12-22-2013, 06:03 PM   #9

They got me right too, square in the middle of the upper midwest.

steelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 06:07 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfudtuckerpucker View Post
I filled it out 3 times, in Chrome and IE. Never got a map. Argh.

It took even longer for the map to come up for DH than it did for me. Maybe the site is overloaded since this was in the NYT just this morning.
Old 12-22-2013, 06:27 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Kind of feel like I have just been to a horoscope reader......mine covered about 3/4 of the country towards the West. Kind of right.....kind of iffy. Now......do you say crick.....or creek? SW Washington.....I say crick.
Old 12-22-2013, 06:28 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am foreign born, but the test put me right in the Southwest where I have lived for nearly 40 years.

PS. I like to use "y'all" occasionally in my posts because I think it is cute. And I often sprinkled in some "eh's".
Old 12-22-2013, 06:32 PM   #13

It made me think the test developers had the house I grew up in bugged
Old 12-22-2013, 06:49 PM   #14

Amazingly accurate!
Old 12-22-2013, 06:59 PM   #15

I remember as a child there was someone on a TV show who could guess where you were from within a hundred miles or so. Back in those days people traveled much less than they do today, and probably stayed longer when they did move. Still this study predicted all three cities correctly to my state, and two of them within an hour or two drive from where I live. Pretty impressive for this day and age of constant travel.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:35 PM   #16

The map showed up okay on my iPad.

Although I tried to answer as if I was still in the place I grew up in England, the test pretty well nailed me as from the Baton Rouge area, which is where I lived for 17 years in my 30's and 40's
Old 12-22-2013, 07:45 PM   #17

The map showed likelyhood for Newark, Cincinatti, Jersey City. I have passed through Newark on New Jersey Turnpike, but never stopped. THe others I never even passed through.

Heh, good to be a Feringi. Actually no one ever guessed my nationality correctly, though most guesses put me somewhere in Eourope.

Learned most of the original American versiopn od English in the Army. Starting at Fort Jackson. At one time while in a military hospital, got curious questions as to why a I was fluent in Army and Navy lingo.
Old 12-22-2013, 07:50 PM   #18
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Very interesting, thanks for posting.

Pretty much nailed it for me, the three towns it said 'most similar' are about 30-100 miles away from my 'NW of Chicago' location. I think the key is they ask enough questions to narrow it down. This might get even more accurate if they asked for your location, and fed those responses into a database ('crowd-sourcing' it).

I've always been fascinated by these little differences among us - kitty-corner versus catty-corner, etc. My son was surprised that some of his college buddies called any soft drink 'coke' (or was it 'cola'?), even if it was 7-Up or ginger ale. And he refers to a little mishap as - he did that 'on accident', whereas I would say it happened 'by accident'.

I was a little surprised at some areas that were similar and different from me. Somewhere in the New England area was similar, but somewhere around southern Ohio was very different.

I'd be interested to see a map for each answer combo. I've known of a sandwich with cold cuts as a 'Hero', and I always seemed to be aware of that as a Chicago thing, I know they call them hoagies or submarines elsewhere. I don't think you can get an 'Italian Beef' sandwich outside of the Chicago area. We recently served some for out of town guests, they had never heard of 'giardiniera', which is a key component (pickled veggies, with plenty of hot peppers to give it 'kick'), hmmmmmmmm.

-ERD50
Old 12-22-2013, 07:51 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post

Amazingly good match for me, and I have had 4 major moves over the years.

Thanks, Michael.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 07:55 PM   #20

This thing was right on. Very interesting.

Used Chrome and had no problems.