Old 08-27-2009, 07:59 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevewc View Post
Goonie
Pumping stations?
Where are you from and what did you do?
Sounds like Na leans or something?
I had thunder storms this morning at work and also after I got home.
I get my share of problems and call outs from storms.
I do electrical work for an airport.
Storms give us plenty problems. Knocking out runway lighting and such.
Steve
PS. We too have a few pumping stations to control flash floods around the airport but probably nothing like you are referring to.
I worked for the local municipality at the wastewater (sewage) plant in north-central Illinois. We had 25 pump stations scattered around town to get all the poo to the central plant. Some of the stations were built in the 50's, and some were brand new, and a bunch were somewhere in the middle. The oldest ones normally worked fine because they were built over-sized and could handle whatever came there way.

But as time passed, the "geniuses" that made the decisions in the city hall, decided they could save a bundle of cash by building only what was needed at that time. Not taking in to consideration expansion & growth.....or STORMS!!!! So the newer ones were built under-sized, and using inferior pumps and controls....because they were "saving money".

Every time I got called in, it cost them at least $100 minimum if I could quickly resolve the problem! If I needed to call in my crew, multiply that amount by how many I needed to assist. If it was beyond our crew's capability to resolve the problem, add in the cost of outside contractors....getting called out in the middle of the night!!! And while the stations were down, if the poo backed up into homes (which was typical).....add in the cost of damage claims & cleanup....and lawsuits! But they call that "saving money".

In the past 2 years since I ER'd, things there have only gotten much worse!!! They've "improved" the main plant, which used to be able to glide easily through a 2" to 3" rain event. NOW, 1/4" rainfall causes MAJOR problems that over-stress the "new & improved" equipment and processes!

I'm SOOOOOO happy to not be there anymore!!!

P.S. >>> BTW...It raining pretty good right now.....I wonder how many guys are down there baby-sitting the "geniuses" foibles?
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2009, 08:05 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
...And while the stations were down, if the poo backed up into homes (which was typical).....
W2R is taking notes to remind herself to check out the plant in her chosen retirement town.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:42 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
W2R is taking notes to remind herself to check out the plant in her chosen retirement town.
What I've learned from 30+ years of working in poo:

NEVER build or buy a house in the low areas of town...NEVER!!! Poo water runs to the lowest area available...ALWAYS!

NEVER build on a hillside in town...NEVER!!! Storm water will run THROUGH your house, on it's way down to the lowest area in town...ALWAYS!

NEVER have basement floor drains, sink drains, or washing machine drains that flow directly to the sewer main in front (or behind) your house....NEVER!!! We always referred to them as 'sewer main pressure relief overflows'....in other words, if the sewer main backs up or plugs up (and it will!), the poo water will simply flow to the lowest area it can gain access to....YOUR basement....which we referred to as 'emergency sewage holding tanks'.

The option of choice to prevent that is what's called an "overhead sewer". That is, the main sewer pipe in your house is mounted just below the floor joists of your first floor. All the water from sinks, tubs, toilets, etc. from the first floor and above drain by gravity into it. All water that comes from appliances or fixtures in the basement needs to be pumped UP into that "overhead" pipe. And since that pipe is above the level of the outside ground level, the water will flow out of it, downhill, into the city's sewer main. If When the city's sewer backs up, it will flow out of the manholes in the street (or through your neighbors basement floor drains!), instead of into your house!
Attached Images
File Type: gif overhead sewer.gif (45.0 KB, 11 views)
Goonie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 08:46 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

I think you just convinced W2R to have a septic tank.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 08-27-2009, 08:59 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

WooooooHoooooooo CuppaJoe

The water was fabulous today...the perfect FIRE day. Sunshine all day, light wind.
I had the choice of 2 lakes to go boating on:
a) the little lake 5 minutes away on my little 18' boat, or
b) drive 40 minutes to go visit my 2nd "adopted brother" and go for a spin on his 32' twin engine boat on a bigger lake.
He needed crew (me), I had nobody lined up.
His gas, not mine.
Hmmmmmmmmm...tough decision.

He just got laid off. This is great for him - no more 1.5 hour commute 1 way, no more stifling w*rkplace, no more dancing to someone else's fiddle. He had some side ventures going already (PT evening stuff), he does excellent carpentry finish w*rk for cash, and already got a temporary contract offer for some coding w*rk from his previous employer. He always lands on his feet.

We talked and cruised and just grinned our heads off. I will gladly be his crew anytime. Take me, take me...
Old 08-27-2009, 10:14 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

One and a half years retired. The last time I woke up in the middle of the night with a work-related nightmare was months ago. (While working this was weekly or better.) I went from borderlike hypertension to today's 99/66 BP. I've lost 40 pounds from my peak.

The bad news is that I still haven't cleaned out the garage. I did start on it a couple days ago, though. When a two car garage reaches the point where a Miata won't fit, I clearly have too much stuff. I know there's no more room for my stuff anymore, but I don't want to get a bigger house, so I've gotta get rid of some of my stuff. I need a smaller version of my stuff. (Sorry, George)
M Paquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 07:02 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
(taking notes....)
Quote:
I think you just convinced W2R to have a septic tank.
Not gonna happen... It's "top of the hill" for me! I'm a little touchy about flooding anyway so had already figured that would be best.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 09:25 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
He gets pure enjoyment out of watching the news at 5 o'clock. He doesn't care so much about the news...he just wants to see the traffic report.
We still get enjoyment out of that. We're close enough to get the DC area stations on cable and especially during the first year watching the traffic reports was a major source of entertainment. How those poor slobs put up with that is beyond me. I turned down a six-figure job because it would have meant staying there.

DW went to DC yesterday to be with a friend during her surgery and upon arrival home said "I am SO glad we left that area!"
Old 08-28-2009, 10:22 AM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
Not gonna happen... It's "top of the hill" for me! I'm a little touchy about flooding anyway so had already figured that would be best.
Did you want water pressure with that location?

We live next door to a sewage pumping station. Luckily it's downhill from us and there's a storm drain between it and our property. It's the best neighbor we've ever had.

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 10:28 AM   #30

I quit my job at the same time as CJ and my last official day at work was in July 09. However, I got sucked into helping them out as a consultant through until Feb when we relocated and that got me off the hook. So for me it has been 6 months since I officially performed any work that I received payment for. I have been hesitant to use the word retiree as I am not 100% certain at this time I will not work again. I thought earlier this year I might go back at the end of '09, but I know for sure that is not going to happen. Reason I was considering going back was for extra money as I was worried about the drop in our portfolio and our ages (47). However as the market has improved I am feeling a bit more relaxed.

I would have to say I never want to go back to work. I love the freedom of doing what I want when I want. I am never bored, I never have enough hours in the day to do the things I want to do. In all honesty as I was preparing dinner last night which probably took me a couple of hours, I reflected on how much I enjoyed cooking real food and how much I missed it in those years I was working. Not once have I woken up and thought gosh I wish I was at the Monday morning meeting listening to the blah blah blah.

Truthfully I think I would rather eat cat food than go back to work.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 10:31 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Truthfully I think I would rather eat cat food than go back to work.
I dunno... I have not tasted cat food, and you haven't either. So, let's reserve our judgement.

PS. We'll know we are in trouble when there is a thread discussing what brand is best. I know they are not the same, as my cat has a certain preference for a particular brand, and even a certain formulation. I don't think humans would be less choosy.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:35 AM   #32
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I dunno... I have not tasted cat food, and you haven't either. So, let's reserve our judgement.
Maybe with plenty of catsup?

Old 08-28-2009, 10:36 AM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Let's not get jumpy and start the "culinary" threads that I am afraid to see.

Old 08-28-2009, 10:37 AM   #34

I imagine that it would kinda taste like SPAM. Make it into a patty and deep fry it and it can't be that bad can it? Hmm my invention for the day - cat burger with catsup as W2R suggests.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 11:15 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

NO WAY. I have had Spam, and don't know why it has such a bad reputation. My only problem with it is the high fat and sodium content.

Cat food, on the other hand, is, well, er, hmm... cat food. It smells like no human food. When opening the can, if I get some juice on my fingers, it is difficult to wash out the smell.

Cat food is definitely not Spam. Give me Spam, or give me death.

PS. No, change that to "Give me Spam or give me w*rk!".

Old 08-28-2009, 12:06 PM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
.... The last time I woke up in the middle of the night with a work-related nightmare was months ago. (While working this was weekly or better....
I still enjoy the novelty of sleeping through the night, seven hours at a stretch is a luxury. If I get insomnia, it doesn't matter, I can sleep in or nap later.

-----

Yucky septic tanks, one year 100s of snakes congregated above it. Ah, country living.

------

I'd go with Fancy Feast, sliced varieties only.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 12:39 PM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Give me Spam, or give me death.
You do realize that this caused every one of your continually spamblasting mods and admins to do a doubletake?

Old 08-28-2009, 12:50 PM   #38
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
I worked for the local municipality at the wastewater (sewage) plant in north-central Illinois. We had 25 pump stations scattered around town to get all the poo to the central plant. Some of the stations were built in the 50's, and some were brand new, and a bunch were somewhere in the middle. The oldest ones normally worked fine because they were built over-sized and could handle.

We actually have had one of the older sewage pumping stations you are talking about at the airport for most of the time I have been there. The County workers always maintained it most of the time I have worked there. But about 10 years ago it somehow got dumped on us. Just this past year (maybe 2008) they built a new one. Probably the just get by, do the job system you refer to. I haven't had to deal with the new one at all so far but did the old one once in a while. I guess I lucked out because I mainly do the airfield lighting maintenance. Which gives me enough trouble during storms.
Should be out of there completely (retired) by the end of this year if I can work out a good plan/option on health care.
Steve
PS. Should be right behind W2R? Dec. 17, 2009 is the 30 year on the job dated.
Stevewc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 12:54 PM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
You do realize that this caused every one of your continually spamblasting mods and admins to do a doubletake?
Ditto.
CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2009, 12:56 PM   #40
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
I still enjoy the novelty of sleeping through the night, seven hours at a stretch is a luxury. If I get insomnia, it doesn't matter, I can sleep in or nap later.

-----

Yucky septic tanks, one year 100s of snakes congregated above it. Ah, country living.

------

I'd go with Fancy Feast, sliced varieties only.
Can't wait to be in the postion where it doesn't matter if I sleep now or sleep later.
It is very tough when you know you need to be sleeping but can't.
Steve
Stevewc is offline   Reply With Quote