Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-28-2009, 02:00 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
I still enjoy the novelty of sleeping through the night, seven hours at a stretch is a luxury. If I get insomnia, it doesn't matter, I can sleep in or nap later.

-----

Yucky septic tanks, one year 100s of snakes congregated above it. Ah, country living.

------

I'd go with Fancy Feast, sliced varieties only.
Have to agree with your insomnia quote, I also have sleep problems, however the positive is no pills needed because I don't have to try and focus on anything during the day and I can get up when I want.

Maybe I should start saving those coupons for cat food as there always seems to be plenty available. Fancy Feast sounds dead posh, throw in a bit of Rosemary to cover the smell and we are cooking with gas.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2009, 03:49 PM   #42
Full time employment: Posting here.

I ERed in April of this year when I shut down the business, and the "retirement water" is pretty good so far here in Texas. In fact, I was on the water today-- took the boat over to my little island shack to pick up the dirt bike and bring it back home. Met some dudes fixing up their cabin, and one of them used to buy cars from me. Small world. He runs a roofing company, but was helping out a friend with some cabin repairs in exchange for beer and fish. He said business sucks, btw.

My kids found a new MC track they want to try out, so the old man is going to give it a try with them. Hope I don't crash.
cardude is offline   Reply With Quote
2 months into RE
Old 08-30-2009, 12:35 PM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

2 months into RE

FIRE is a great thing. I love it! So far so good except for a weight gain...it couldn't be the beer could it? No, No... bad thought.
Old 08-30-2009, 02:29 PM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

Officially 1 month for me. I do find that I'm drinking more. Hmmmm. Since I've always been a night owl, I find myself staying up later and later...which I HATE. Sleeping late makes me feel like I've wasted a day. I must not have the "Retiree Mindset" yet.
SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 03:45 PM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
Since I've always been a night owl, I find myself staying up later and later...which I HATE. Sleeping late makes me feel like I've wasted a day. I must not have the "Retiree Mindset" yet.
Funny - sleep (especially naps) make me feel like I'm making the most of my day.

Oh, yeah... I'm still working.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 04:09 PM   #46
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Officially 1 month for me. I do find that I'm drinking more. Hmmmm. Since I've always been a night owl, I find myself staying up later and later...which I HATE. Sleeping late makes me feel like I've wasted a day. I must not have the "Retiree Mindset" yet.

The first few months I slept for incredible amounts . I figured it was the stress of forty years finally leaving . Eventually you do get into your own routine whatever it will be .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2009, 05:31 PM   #47
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
This is clearly your decompression phase. You will find your time niche.

I always hated getting up early pre-FIRE. Gee, I wonder why?
Post-FIRE, I've turned into an early riser, mostly because I like to send the old man off with coffee and the proverbial waving handkerchief.
I get up at 530 AM every day except Wed.
Seriously...I love to watch the sun rise, along with smelling the fresh morning air and seeing the mist lingering over the open fields, plus the birdie orchestra at dawn. It is just beautiful.
I get the bulk of my daily tasks done between wakeup time and noon. My mind is sharper in the AM and feel like I am getting the most out of my day. Then I goof off...
Old 08-30-2009, 10:54 PM   #48

Boy Freebird, you really are devoted to get up that early to see your man off.

In our house it is the opposite, DH gets up and gets ready for work and then brings me a cup of tea whilst I laze in bed. I haul my carcass out of bed to see him off at the front door and then take my time to have breakfast and lounge round in my jammies. Finally about 10.00 a.m. I wakeup and hit the gym we have set up in our garage for an hour. Back for a cup of tea, then have a shower. Then it is time to have lunch. So nothing happens in my household until 1.00 p.m., anything that has to be done gets done in the afternoon. If I can't be bothered doing anything nothing happens. You've got to love this not working lark.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 05:35 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
Boy Freebird, you really are devoted to get up that early to see your man off.

In our house it is the opposite, DH gets up and gets ready for work and then brings me a cup of tea whilst I laze in bed. I haul my carcass out of bed to see him off at the front door and then take my time to have breakfast and lounge round in my jammies. Finally about 10.00 a.m. I wakeup and hit the gym we have set up in our garage for an hour. Back for a cup of tea, then have a shower. Then it is time to have lunch. So nothing happens in my household until 1.00 p.m., anything that has to be done gets done in the afternoon. If I can't be bothered doing anything nothing happens. You've got to love this not working lark.
"Devoted" is one word for it.
Many of my w*rking years occurred in a windowless building in a cube farm under fluorescent lights. Windows on the perimeter of the building were blocked (literally used concrete blocks) in the 70s to save energy. OK...
It made for a very wierd experience, not seeing the passage of the day. In winter, I often went to w*rk in dim light and left w*rk in near darkness.
So I am very happy to see the normal progression of the day after all those years of deprivation.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:49 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
The first few months I slept for incredible amounts . I figured it was the stress of forty years finally leaving . Eventually you do get into your own routine whatever it will be .
Took me awhile to find a routine too. After 3 years though, if anyone wants me to leave the house in the morning, I'm grumpy. That's breaking my routine.
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:27 AM   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Many of my w*rking years occurred in a windowless building in a cube farm under fluorescent lights. Windows on the perimeter of the building were blocked (literally used concrete blocks) in the 70s to save energy. OK...
My favorite retirement scene:

CuppaJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:29 AM   #52
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuppaJoe View Post
This week I’ll change the year in my signature line from one to two. Of course the water’s fine, sometimes choppy and sometimes placid; the important things in life go on, whether I’m employed or not. Something happy has happened that I haven’t mentioned here yet--a few weeks ago I stopped taking pain meds. It’s a window of opportunity for me to get out there without worrying that my body isn’t up to a long walk.
Congratulations on getting off pain meds (and your second year of retirement.) I'm finishing off my second month today. No trouble adjusting here. I'm not quite sure if our dogs have quite adjusted to their longer walks. They do nap more during the day now though.
LoftyNotions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:37 AM   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoftyNotions View Post
Congratulations on getting off pain meds (and your second year of retirement.) I'm finishing off my second month today. No trouble adjusting here. I'm not quite sure if our dogs have quite adjusted to their longer walks. They do nap more during the day now though.
Thanks, it's getting better all the time. Congrats to you, LoftyNotions. You bring up an under-discussed issue, our pets need time to adjust also. My cat follows me around like, um, a puppy dog.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:34 AM   #54
Gone but not forgotten

Our partners also need time to adjust .The first few months we were driving each other bonkers now we have settled into a pleasant routine .
Old 08-31-2009, 11:51 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonie View Post
What I've learned from 30+ years of working in poo:

NEVER build or buy a house in the low areas of town...NEVER!!! Poo water runs to the lowest area available...ALWAYS!

NEVER build on a hillside in town...NEVER!!! Storm water will run THROUGH your house, on it's way down to the lowest area in town...ALWAYS!

NEVER have basement floor drains, sink drains, or washing machine drains that flow directly to the sewer main in front (or behind) your house....NEVER!!! We always referred to them as 'sewer main pressure relief overflows'....in other words, if the sewer main backs up or plugs up (and it will!), the poo water will simply flow to the lowest area it can gain access to....YOUR basement....which we referred to as 'emergency sewage holding tanks'.

The option of choice to prevent that is what's called an "overhead sewer". That is, the main sewer pipe in your house is mounted just below the floor joists of your first floor. All the water from sinks, tubs, toilets, etc. from the first floor and above drain by gravity into it. All water that comes from appliances or fixtures in the basement needs to be pumped UP into that "overhead" pipe. And since that pipe is above the level of the outside ground level, the water will flow out of it, downhill, into the city's sewer main. If When the city's sewer backs up, it will flow out of the manholes in the street (or through your neighbors basement floor drains!), instead of into your house!
I saved this post.

Ha
Old 09-02-2009, 07:15 AM   #56

Quote:
Being a Francophile
Aren't we all?
Old 09-02-2009, 09:42 AM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Our partners also need time to adjust .The first few months we were driving each other bonkers now we have settled into a pleasant routine .
We should make a list. My neighbor below freaked because she is a day sleeper and, of course, my first instinct as a new retiree was to rearrange the furniture.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:19 PM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

We are 7 years and 6 years in, respectively. We thought we'd make it as long as we lived but then 2008 happened. So far, we are still hanging in - we spent a lot of time worrying and thinking about what jobs we would need to get. But, somehow, 8 months later, that just didn't happen, so I guess we weren't that desperate. So, today, we went for a 2 mile walk with our dog, went swimming in the pool, had a frosty drink on the deck and "will play it by ear". Best laid plans, I guess. Not sure what I'm learning from this experience, but I'll know it when I see it.
Sparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 08:06 PM   #59
Gone but not forgotten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
We are 7 years and 6 years in, respectively. We thought we'd make it as long as we lived but then 2008 happened. So far, we are still hanging in - we spent a lot of time worrying and thinking about what jobs we would need to get. But, somehow, 8 months later, that just didn't happen, so I guess we weren't that desperate. So, today, we went for a 2 mile walk with our dog, went swimming in the pool, had a frosty drink on the deck and "will play it by ear". Best laid plans, I guess. Not sure what I'm learning from this experience, but I'll know it when I see it.

I think last year was the final exam for retirement . If you could make it through and not go screaming back to work you passed the test .
Old 09-04-2009, 09:03 PM   #60
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I think last year was the final exam for retirement . If you could make it through and not go screaming back to work you passed the test .
I scream at the thought of going back to w*rk.

Hang in there, Sparky. Keep us posted.