Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-31-2010, 04:33 AM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.

Wait, Are you guys suggesting I can actually make up my own list !!!
I thought I was doomed to a honey do list.
This could be a life changing revelation.
Did you all relocate to another continent to start yours?
Steve
Stevewc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2010, 07:31 AM   #62
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I do not have a bucket list. After reading the posts under this thread, I am thinking about writing up a list of things I'd like to do before dying. Thank you to everyone who posted.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 01:56 PM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

The most down to earth bucket list I ever heard was my BIL's, after he had been taken apart by my sister.

"I sure would like to get some more p**** before I die!"
Old 10-31-2010, 05:57 PM   #64

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
The most down to earth bucket list I ever heard was my BIL's, after he had been taken apart by my sister.

"I sure would like to get some more p**** before I die!"
Sounds like 50% of the world have this one, too common to mention.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:48 PM   #65

I usually keep my bucket list to 3 items a year and at the end of the year, I just review and see what additions I have achieved. Makes me feel happier and stress-free. Should I expand the 3 items to more? Don't think so, otherwise it would be too much for me to handle in my retirement life.
Moscyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 08:49 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

I guess I'm an exception, but one of the main reasons I retired was so that I didn't have to live to a list.

But each to their own.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:04 AM   #67

Re: Kumquat's bucket list "Stand in the eye of a hurricane"

Been there. Done that. To me it was an "eh" experience.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:21 PM   #68

No bucket list here. I have come to realise that me making a list normally results in nothing getting done beyond making the list.

The only thing I do want to do before I die is learn to dance. I have two left feet and I believe I am still traumatised from my grade 7 end of year dance when I was left on the sidelines. I think the only dance I can do is the handbag shuffle, all girls must remember that. You go to the disco, stick your bags in the centre of the dancefloor and all shuffle around them moving your feet from side to side with a bit of arm action.

So before I die I would like to learn to dance ala Dancing with The Stars. The thought of being graceful instead of stomping across the dance floor brings a smile to my face. Of course me being me, I plan on my dance lessons starting in Buenos Aires learning the tango for a few months.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 02:12 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Danger, or you could go take lessons from Ha! That's what the rest of us are planning to do when we want to learn the tango.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 12:27 AM   #70

What do 'I Hope I try before get old?' (with apologies to The Who). Until a few years ago I'd never written down a bucket list, either as things to do or things done. I spent most of my life collecting experiences and always knew what the top items on the unwritten list were. Finally wrote it down to see what, if any, I can still do, given present finances, location and fitness.

Being a Nerd, one of my first thoughts was how to organize the list. I considered and rejected: Alphabetical, Chronological (by when added to list or when completed), Rating (1 to 5 stars as to how totally awesome it was), Degree of injuries (wounded pride and broken hearts count) and How long it took the glow to wear off Anyway, here is the current version.

==== To Do ====

-- Permanent items, that is, to be repeated as often as possible or necessary.

• Fall in love one more time.
  • Learn to cook another cuisine or style.
  • Dance along the edge of physical danger after becoming competent in a new sport. (I'm too old for this unless something like 'Extreme Birdwatching' exists.)
  • Make a positive difference in someone's life.

-- Do

• Visit Hong Kong. Leave just before I run out of allotted money or look like the Michelin Man.
  • Get a decent camera, post images to photo critique sites, repeat until I stop learning.
  • Travel through Latin America and turn my passable Spanish into conversational Spanish. Do everything else on my Latin America To Do list.
  • Visit all the places on my 'Thailand To Do' list before the beginning of the next rainy season (I live in Thailand now.)

-- Could have done by now, which probably means I'm just not that into them

• Visit Yellowstone, summer or winter.
  • Visit Banff, summer or winter.
  • Eat my way through Italy, following spring northward.
  • Run Colorado river in a raft.
  • Carnival in Aruba (2nd best to Brazil but not as dangerous - or crowded).
  • Watch Samba School 'tests' on the weekends preceding Carnival in Rio
  • Chill out in a Dutch hash bar. Leave the country before I first realize that I need to go to a hash bar. (No, I'm not sure if this is a joke or not).
  • Race a car on a racetrack.
  • Take at least one flight lesson in a powered plane.
  • Go helicopter skiing in Utah.
  • Vacation on a converted barge in the European low countries. The appeal is that the barge keeps moving. Get off during the day then use foot, bike or public transit to catch up and get back on.
  • Learn to shoot clay pigeons, i.e., trap, skeet, etc.
  • Restore / rebuild / bring back to life a car I longed for in my younger days. Datsun 240Z heads the list.

==== Completed ====

-- KNEW I was going to do it upon first realizing what it was.

• Hang Glide. Logged 200 hours before shoulder problems forced me to give it up.
  • Fly Sailplane. Logged 40 hours before giving it up because it wasn't as much fun as hang gliding.
  • High Performance 3 day driving school on a race track in race prepared cars. Half the guys in class thought it was better than sex. The other half, of which I was a member, disagreed but, holding thumb and forefinger 1/4" apart, 'it was this close'.
-- Became obsessively involved.

• Surf Hawaii. Spent 6 weeks on the south shore of Kauai when I was 16.
  • Rock Climbing. Bouldered 5.10. followed 5.9, led 5.8
  • Off-road motorcycling. Won some trophies on a Husky 250 XC.
  • Mountain Biking
  • Autocross
  • Downhill skiing
  • Learned how to dance. Danced in public. As the only couple on the floor. (Swing, Ballroom, Latin, Country for 17 years).
  • Became a damn good software developer.
  • After I quit a programming job, had a co-worker who was maintaining something I'd written contact me just to: 1) Compliment me on how I solved the problem, or 2) Thank me for leaving something that was so easy to maintain.
  • Learned black and white darkroom technique.
  • Bought a SLR (film) camera system, make good photos. Sold two of them.
  • Backpacked from Tahoe to Yosemite. (It rained every bleeping day and the possible food resupply was as bad as all the published reports said it was - I thought they were exaggerating).

-- Just did it

• Flew Cross Country in a hang glider (that is, land somewhere other than the known landing zone associated with the place I launched from).
  • Took Evolution Autocross School
  • Made positive difference in somebody's life.
  • Am a published author (second and third author on some scientific journal articles).
  • Wind Surf. Took a class, never got into it.
  • Learned Improvisational Acting. 60 hours in three different classes.
  • Cooked Tempura well (It's tricky. Took me more tries to get right than anything else I learned to cook.)
  • Visited Yosemite Valley. Many times.
  • Flew hang glider off Glacier Point in Yosemite.
  • Saw U-505 submarine at Chicago Museum of Science and Industry (Read book of it's capture while in High School, learned it was at the museum when I lived in Illinois.)
  • Snorkeled someplace with 100' visibility
  • Owned a sports car. Toyota MR2 Spyder.
  • Learned how to snowboard. Only dabbled in it because local conditions were too icey to make it fun.

-- Things that never would have happened if I had them as a goal, but I'm sufficiently egotistical or arrogant to put them on the list so I can say 'Ain't I Somethin'!'

• Had a spontaneous wit such that some reacted by thinking I must have memorized a huge pile of material to be able to bring out something appropriate in so many different situations.
  • Said something my girlfriend found so funny that she literally lost the ability to remain standing, and slumped helplessly to the floor. Then did it again to her, this time in public. Neither her nor I can remember what I said the first time. As for the second ... you had to be there and have our history.
  • Earned a nickname from my sports buddies that I'm proud of ('Dr. Death' for off-road motorcycling, if you must know).
  • Had someone think my postcard sized photographs of Yosemite were, in fact, postcards.
ItDontMeanAThing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:46 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

ItDon't, that is a rockstar list of completed and yet to be completed things--I think I like your "Ain't I something" ones the best of all. Thanks for sharing!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote