Join Early Retirement Today

How's Your Bucket List Coming?
Old 10-28-2010, 12:21 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

How's Your Bucket List Coming?

In the year 2000, I make a Bucket List with 50 items. Most items on the list are fairly down-to-earth; some are a little more exotic. Examples: Qualify for the Boston Marathon (done), run the Boston Marathon (done), complete an Olympic length (done) and Half Ironman (done) triathlon, visit all 50 states (done), complete the 200-mile one-day bike race LOTOJA (done), visit all seven continents (not done; I'm going to Antarctica in January), see the Great Wall of China (done), see the Pyramids and Egyptian temples (done), visit 15 national parks (done), do 10 pullups (not done ; I have horrible upper-body strength and am overweight), publish a book (done numerous times), design and carve a chess set (not done), obtain CPR Red Cross certification (done), read 10 books in Spanish (done).

Summary: I have complete 44 of the 50.

How are you coming on yours?
ScottFromUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2010, 12:26 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Pretty soon you're going to need to write Bucket List II, Scott. you've been busy since 2000!

Here's mine:
(1) Create bucket list. (not done)
Old 10-28-2010, 12:35 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm still working on mine. So far I only have 2 checked off:

Completed:
1. Make a house of cards. Out of money ($20's and $100's).
2. Make a sculpture. Out of rolls of toilet paper (hundreds of them).

The rest of the list is extremely short:
1. Travel to Iguazu Falls Argentina/Brazil
2. Play Monopoly. With real money.
3. Visit Great Wall of China

Looks like I need to develop a more extensive bucket list.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:20 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Dang, I can't come up with a list like Fuego's, let alone like Scott's! Better get cracking! Congrats to you, though, on finishing such awesome goals.

What will you do when your list is complete?

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:49 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I haven't looked at mine in over five years!

In late 2000 I broke it down into "very short range", "short range", "medium range", and "long range". Initially those were all in terms of weeks to months... and about a year after I'd retired those were recalibrated for "months to years".

The goals in those first three categories have all been accomplished, although some of them seem pretty silly in retrospect. ("Buy a screaming WinXP computer.") We still haven't joined our local "Hike of the Month" club, but we hiked Haleakala and someday we'll get around to the rest of the trails.

The long-range list is more of a work in progress:
Be a good spouse
Be a good parent
Net worth higher than lifetime earnings
Collect more retired Navy pension than active duty salary
Great Barrier Reef & Pacific atoll diving
Spend a month in Thailand
Join the top ten on USNA AA's "Oldest Living Alumni" list
Join the "Centenarian Sailors" listing on BUPERS' "Shift Colors" magazine

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:55 PM   #6
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Never made a list.

---Be invisible and go around doing miracles.---

(10 points for the reference)
Old 10-28-2010, 02:03 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I am happy and achieving my goals at a reasonable pace. I feel satisfied and content with my life.

For some reason, I don't need anything more than that. If I were to die today, I'd feel serene and fulfilled (although I'd really rather stick around for a few more decades just because life has been so much fun since ER).

I wouldn't be thinking, "If ONLY I had done xyz before I died!" I know I said I'd like to see the Smithsonian sometime, but really it's just another museum (albeit a huge and interesting one). I wouldn't feel gypped if I never got around to going there. On the other hand, it might be fun to do sometime.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 02:06 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I am happy and achieving my goals at a reasonable pace. I feel satisfied and content with my life.

For some reason, I don't need anything more than that. If I were to die today, I'd feel serene and fulfilled...
Can I have a hit on your bong?
Old 10-28-2010, 02:15 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
It's called the "First Year of ER" drug... I only have 12 more days to enjoy it before I become a seasoned veteran of more than one year of ER.

You know, I didn't adopt that username "Want2Retire" for nothing.... I wanted to retire pretty badly and now that I'm there, life is all that I could ever have hoped for (for the time being).

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 02:26 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I have not written one yet.
It is was is my nature to make lists and check them off, but maybe I will do my bucket list...um...next year?
Old 10-28-2010, 02:30 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

I am doing pretty well with my list and I am almost running out of things to do from this list, but many of them were so pleasurable, so I may just do some or most of them AGAIN rather than coming up with a second list. Life is good but I have not ER'd yet. I imagine it will be even more awesome once I've ER'd.
Retire2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 02:32 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
It's called the "First Year of ER" drug... I only have 12 more days to enjoy it before I become a seasoned veteran of more than one year of ER.

You know, I didn't adopt that username "Want2Retire" for nothing.... I wanted to retire pretty badly and now that I'm there, life is all that I could ever have hoped for (for the time being).
Can't believe it's only 12 more days till your 1st year anniversary of ER. I remembered joining this Forum when you were around 62 days left of your count-down to ER. I remember signing on and glancing at how many days you've still got left then your dancing emoticons all over your post when you made it! Have a beautiful day in ER, dear W2R.
Retire2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:45 PM   #13
Gone but not forgotten

I have been working on my bucket list . Costa Rica ,done , Alaska , scheduled, Taking grandson to Disney World , being scheduled . Italy , next year .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:48 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Our new house is a giant bucket list!!! It will keep us busy for another year.

But I did order that wine cellar I have been lusting after today - wow!

Audrey
Old 10-28-2010, 03:57 PM   #15
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Never made a list.

Even Google didn't know... But excellent goal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Check...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 04:00 PM   #16
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan

--
Even Google didn't know... But excellent goal
----------------------
It's from the Broadway Musical "Hair"
Old 10-28-2010, 05:33 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Pretty soon you're going to need to write Bucket List II, Scott. you've been busy since 2000!

Here's mine:
(1) Create bucket list. (not done)
That’s an excellent start!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
I'm still working on mine. So far I only have 2 checked off:

Completed:
1. Make a house of cards. Out of money ($20's and $100's).
2. Make a sculpture. Out of rolls of toilet paper (hundreds of them).

The rest of the list is extremely short:
1. Travel to Iguazu Falls Argentina/Brazil
2. Play Monopoly. With real money.
3. Visit Great Wall of China

Looks like I need to develop a more extensive bucket list.
Very interesting. I have been to Iguazu Falls, and it’s well worth the trip. One of my two favorite places on earth. The other one is Machu Picchu, as if you couldn’t tell from my avatar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Dang, I can't come up with a list like Fuego's, let alone like Scott's! Better get cracking! Congrats to you, though, on finishing such awesome goals.

Quote:
It’ll probably never be complete, but I’m already working on a second list. My wife and I are going through a list of The 100 Places to Visit Before You Die. We plan a major trip every year. We have been to about half of the places on the list already. We hope to go to 10-20 more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I haven't looked at mine in over five years!

In late 2000 I broke it down into "very short range", "short range", "medium range", and "long range". Initially those were all in terms of weeks to months... and about a year after I'd retired those were recalibrated for "months to years".

The goals in those first three categories have all been accomplished, although some of them seem pretty silly in retrospect. ("Buy a screaming WinXP computer.") We still haven't joined our local "Hike of the Month" club, but we hiked Haleakala and someday we'll get around to the rest of the trails.

The long-range list is more of a work in progress:
Be a good spouse
Be a good parent
Net worth higher than lifetime earnings
Collect more retired Navy pension than active duty salary
Great Barrier Reef & Pacific atoll diving
Spend a month in Thailand
Join the top ten on USNA AA's "Oldest Living Alumni" list
Join the "Centenarian Sailors" listing on BUPERS' "Shift Colors" magazine
Great list. Diving the Great Barrier Reef will be on my Bucket List II. Getting scuba qualified was on List I, and I completed that goal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Never made a list.

I love this. A list isn’t for everyone. Doing miracles IS for everyone.

Quote:
I wouldn't be thinking, "If ONLY I had done xyz before I died!" I know I said I'd like to see the Smithsonian sometime, but really it's just another museum (albeit a huge and interesting one). I wouldn't feel gypped if I never got around to going there. On the other hand, it might be fun to do sometime.
I “almost” died in 2000 (maybe that’s being a little melodramatic) and realized at the time that if I had died, I would have died happy. Nothing on my list—done or undone—will change that. I have lived a great life. I just want to make sure that I don’t get overly contented and that I have lots of fun things ahead of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire2014 View Post
I am doing pretty well with my list and I am almost running out of things to do from this list, but many of them were so pleasurable, so I may just do some or most of them AGAIN [IMG]file:///C:/Users/Scott/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.gif[/IMG]rather than coming up with a second list. Life is good but I have not ER'd yet. I imagine it will be even more awesome once I've ER'd.

Life WILL be more awesome. I like your idea of recycling. In fact, DW and I plan to make another trip to Israel and Egypt. I may or may not want to run the Boston Marathon again.

It was great hearing from you all. Hope to hear from more.
ScottFromUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:47 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

I do something and then add it to the list.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:42 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Dang, I can't come up with a list like Fuego's, let alone like Scott's!
Google Docs is my friend. Keeps me organized and cloud-accessible.
Old 10-28-2010, 07:45 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFromUtah View Post
Very interesting. I have been to Iguazu Falls, and it’s well worth the trip. One of my two favorite places on earth. The other one is Machu Picchu, as if you couldn’t tell from my avatar.
That one is on my conscious "things to do before I die" list.

In fact I jokingly added a friend of mine on an outlook reminder for us to take a family vacation with his family on May 1, 2014 (date picked arbitrarily). But we will definitely go there one day (hopefully) soon. And it isn't too far away from us in the USA.