Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
How's Your Bucket List Coming?
Old 10-28-2010, 01:21 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets
ScottFromUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Orem/Provo
Posts: 231
How's Your Bucket List Coming?

In the year 2000, I make a Bucket List with 50 items. Most items on the list are fairly down-to-earth; some are a little more exotic. Examples: Qualify for the Boston Marathon (done), run the Boston Marathon (done), complete an Olympic length (done) and Half Ironman (done) triathlon, visit all 50 states (done), complete the 200-mile one-day bike race LOTOJA (done), visit all seven continents (not done; I'm going to Antarctica in January), see the Great Wall of China (done), see the Pyramids and Egyptian temples (done), visit 15 national parks (done), do 10 pullups (not done ; I have horrible upper-body strength and am overweight), publish a book (done numerous times), design and carve a chess set (not done), obtain CPR Red Cross certification (done), read 10 books in Spanish (done).

Summary: I have complete 44 of the 50.

How are you coming on yours?
__________________

__________________
ScottFromUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2010, 01:26 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Bestwifeever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 16,372
Pretty soon you're going to need to write Bucket List II, Scott. you've been busy since 2000!

Here's mine:
(1) Create bucket list. (not done)
__________________

__________________
“Would you like an adventure now, or would you like to have your tea first?” J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 01:35 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 7,526
I'm still working on mine. So far I only have 2 checked off:

Completed:
1. Make a house of cards. Out of money ($20's and $100's).
2. Make a sculpture. Out of rolls of toilet paper (hundreds of them).

The rest of the list is extremely short:
1. Travel to Iguazu Falls Argentina/Brazil
2. Play Monopoly. With real money.
3. Visit Great Wall of China

Looks like I need to develop a more extensive bucket list.
__________________
Retired in 2013 at age 33. Keeping busy reading, blogging, relaxing, gaming, and enjoying the outdoors with my wife and 3 kids (5, 11, and 12).
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 02:20 PM   #4
Moderator
Sarah in SC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 13,456
Dang, I can't come up with a list like Fuego's, let alone like Scott's! Better get cracking! Congrats to you, though, on finishing such awesome goals.

What will you do when your list is complete?
__________________
“One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.”
Gerard Arthur Way

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 02:49 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus
Nords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Oahu
Posts: 26,616
I haven't looked at mine in over five years!

In late 2000 I broke it down into "very short range", "short range", "medium range", and "long range". Initially those were all in terms of weeks to months... and about a year after I'd retired those were recalibrated for "months to years".

The goals in those first three categories have all been accomplished, although some of them seem pretty silly in retrospect. ("Buy a screaming WinXP computer.") We still haven't joined our local "Hike of the Month" club, but we hiked Haleakala and someday we'll get around to the rest of the trails.

The long-range list is more of a work in progress:
Be a good spouse
Be a good parent
Net worth higher than lifetime earnings
Collect more retired Navy pension than active duty salary
Great Barrier Reef & Pacific atoll diving
Spend a month in Thailand
Join the top ten on USNA AA's "Oldest Living Alumni" list
Join the "Centenarian Sailors" listing on BUPERS' "Shift Colors" magazine
__________________
*
*

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 02:55 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Khan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pine Island, Florida
Posts: 6,868
Send a message via AIM to Khan
Never made a list.

---Be invisible and go around doing miracles.---

(10 points for the reference)
__________________
"Knowin' no one nowhere's gonna miss us when we're gone..."
Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:03 PM   #7
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,824
I am happy and achieving my goals at a reasonable pace. I feel satisfied and content with my life.

For some reason, I don't need anything more than that. If I were to die today, I'd feel serene and fulfilled (although I'd really rather stick around for a few more decades just because life has been so much fun since ER).

I wouldn't be thinking, "If ONLY I had done xyz before I died!" I know I said I'd like to see the Smithsonian sometime, but really it's just another museum (albeit a huge and interesting one). I wouldn't feel gypped if I never got around to going there. On the other hand, it might be fun to do sometime.
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:06 PM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
REWahoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Texas Hill Country
Posts: 42,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I am happy and achieving my goals at a reasonable pace. I feel satisfied and content with my life.

For some reason, I don't need anything more than that. If I were to die today, I'd feel serene and fulfilled...
Can I have a hit on your bong?
__________________
Numbers is hard

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:15 PM   #9
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Can I have a hit on your bong?
It's called the "First Year of ER" drug... I only have 12 more days to enjoy it before I become a seasoned veteran of more than one year of ER.

You know, I didn't adopt that username "Want2Retire" for nothing.... I wanted to retire pretty badly and now that I'm there, life is all that I could ever have hoped for (for the time being).
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:26 PM   #10
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
freebird5825's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: East Nowhere, 43N Latitude, NY
Posts: 9,017
I have not written one yet.
It is was is my nature to make lists and check them off, but maybe I will do my bucket list...um...next year?
__________________
"All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them." - Walt Disney
freebird5825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:30 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets
Retire2013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 392
I am doing pretty well with my list and I am almost running out of things to do from this list, but many of them were so pleasurable, so I may just do some or most of them AGAIN rather than coming up with a second list. Life is good but I have not ER'd yet. I imagine it will be even more awesome once I've ER'd.
__________________
Retire2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:32 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets
Retire2013's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
It's called the "First Year of ER" drug... I only have 12 more days to enjoy it before I become a seasoned veteran of more than one year of ER.

You know, I didn't adopt that username "Want2Retire" for nothing.... I wanted to retire pretty badly and now that I'm there, life is all that I could ever have hoped for (for the time being).
Can't believe it's only 12 more days till your 1st year anniversary of ER. I remembered joining this Forum when you were around 62 days left of your count-down to ER. I remember signing on and glancing at how many days you've still got left then your dancing emoticons all over your post when you made it! Have a beautiful day in ER, dear W2R.
__________________
Retire2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 04:45 PM   #13
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Moemg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Sarasota,fl.
Posts: 10,030
I have been working on my bucket list . Costa Rica ,done , Alaska , scheduled, Taking grandson to Disney World , being scheduled . Italy , next year .
__________________
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 04:48 PM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
audreyh1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Rio Grande Valley
Posts: 16,453
Our new house is a giant bucket list!!! It will keep us busy for another year.

But I did order that wine cellar I have been lusting after today - wow!

Audrey
__________________
Well, I thought I was retired. But it seems that now I'm working as a travel agent instead!
audreyh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 04:57 PM   #15
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
HFWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Lawn chair in Texas
Posts: 12,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Never made a list.

---Be invisible and go around doing miracles.---

(10 points for the reference)
Even Google didn't know... But excellent goal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Can I have a hit on your bong?
Check...
__________________
Have Funds, Will Retire

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:00 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus
Khan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Pine Island, Florida
Posts: 6,868
Send a message via AIM to Khan
---Be invisible and go around doing miracles.---

(10 points for the reference)
--
Even Google didn't know... But excellent goal
----------------------
It's from the Broadway Musical "Hair"
__________________
"Knowin' no one nowhere's gonna miss us when we're gone..."
Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 06:33 PM   #17
Recycles dryer sheets
ScottFromUtah's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Orem/Provo
Posts: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Pretty soon you're going to need to write Bucket List II, Scott. you've been busy since 2000!

Here's mine:
(1) Create bucket list. (not done)
That’s an excellent start!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUEGO View Post
I'm still working on mine. So far I only have 2 checked off:

Completed:
1. Make a house of cards. Out of money ($20's and $100's).
2. Make a sculpture. Out of rolls of toilet paper (hundreds of them).

The rest of the list is extremely short:
1. Travel to Iguazu Falls Argentina/Brazil
2. Play Monopoly. With real money.
3. Visit Great Wall of China

Looks like I need to develop a more extensive bucket list.
Very interesting. I have been to Iguazu Falls, and it’s well worth the trip. One of my two favorite places on earth. The other one is Machu Picchu, as if you couldn’t tell from my avatar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Dang, I can't come up with a list like Fuego's, let alone like Scott's! Better get cracking! Congrats to you, though, on finishing such awesome goals.

What will you do when your list is complete?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
What will you do when your list is complete?
It’ll probably never be complete, but I’m already working on a second list. My wife and I are going through a list of The 100 Places to Visit Before You Die. We plan a major trip every year. We have been to about half of the places on the list already. We hope to go to 10-20 more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I haven't looked at mine in over five years!

In late 2000 I broke it down into "very short range", "short range", "medium range", and "long range". Initially those were all in terms of weeks to months... and about a year after I'd retired those were recalibrated for "months to years".

The goals in those first three categories have all been accomplished, although some of them seem pretty silly in retrospect. ("Buy a screaming WinXP computer.") We still haven't joined our local "Hike of the Month" club, but we hiked Haleakala and someday we'll get around to the rest of the trails.

The long-range list is more of a work in progress:
Be a good spouse
Be a good parent
Net worth higher than lifetime earnings
Collect more retired Navy pension than active duty salary
Great Barrier Reef & Pacific atoll diving
Spend a month in Thailand
Join the top ten on USNA AA's "Oldest Living Alumni" list
Join the "Centenarian Sailors" listing on BUPERS' "Shift Colors" magazine
Great list. Diving the Great Barrier Reef will be on my Bucket List II. Getting scuba qualified was on List I, and I completed that goal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Never made a list.

---Be invisible and go around doing miracles.---

(10 points for the reference)
I love this. A list isn’t for everyone. Doing miracles IS for everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I wouldn't be thinking, "If ONLY I had done xyz before I died!" I know I said I'd like to see the Smithsonian sometime, but really it's just another museum (albeit a huge and interesting one). I wouldn't feel gypped if I never got around to going there. On the other hand, it might be fun to do sometime.
I “almost” died in 2000 (maybe that’s being a little melodramatic) and realized at the time that if I had died, I would have died happy. Nothing on my list—done or undone—will change that. I have lived a great life. I just want to make sure that I don’t get overly contented and that I have lots of fun things ahead of me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retire2014 View Post
I am doing pretty well with my list and I am almost running out of things to do from this list, but many of them were so pleasurable, so I may just do some or most of them AGAIN [IMG]file:///C:/Users/Scott/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.gif[/IMG]rather than coming up with a second list. Life is good but I have not ER'd yet. I imagine it will be even more awesome once I've ER'd.

Life WILL be more awesome. I like your idea of recycling. In fact, DW and I plan to make another trip to Israel and Egypt. I may or may not want to run the Boston Marathon again.

It was great hearing from you all. Hope to hear from more.
__________________
ScottFromUtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 06:47 PM   #18
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
dex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 5,105
I do something and then add it to the list.
__________________
Sometimes death is not as tragic as not knowing how to live. This man knew how to live--and how to make others glad they were living. - Jack Benny at Nat King Cole's funeral
dex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:42 PM   #19
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 7,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah in SC View Post
Dang, I can't come up with a list like Fuego's, let alone like Scott's!
Google Docs is my friend. Keeps me organized and cloud-accessible.
__________________
Retired in 2013 at age 33. Keeping busy reading, blogging, relaxing, gaming, and enjoying the outdoors with my wife and 3 kids (5, 11, and 12).
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:45 PM   #20
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 7,526
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottFromUtah View Post
Very interesting. I have been to Iguazu Falls, and it’s well worth the trip. One of my two favorite places on earth. The other one is Machu Picchu, as if you couldn’t tell from my avatar.
That one is on my conscious "things to do before I die" list.

In fact I jokingly added a friend of mine on an outlook reminder for us to take a family vacation with his family on May 1, 2014 (date picked arbitrarily). But we will definitely go there one day (hopefully) soon. And it isn't too far away from us in the USA.
__________________

__________________
Retired in 2013 at age 33. Keeping busy reading, blogging, relaxing, gaming, and enjoying the outdoors with my wife and 3 kids (5, 11, and 12).
FUEGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Bucket List - what i checked off my list heyduke Other topics 37 05-20-2010 04:29 PM
Here's one for your 'Bucket List' REWahoo Other topics 13 10-02-2008 03:39 PM
Bucket List Canadian Grunt Life after FIRE 34 09-23-2008 09:16 PM
The Bucket List frayne FIRE and Money 23 01-21-2008 10:28 AM
Think I'll Kick the Bucket (Bucket 2, that is) Rich_by_the_Bay FIRE and Money 11 10-23-2006 12:18 AM

 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:03 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.