Join Early Retirement Today

Hypericum - St. John's Wort, Aaron's Beard, Gold Flower
Old 01-18-2010, 06:53 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Hypericum - St. John's Wort, Aaron's Beard, Gold Flower

It's January in Upstate New York and spring is only 3 months away. So, I need a diversion.

I am planning to expand ground cover in our backyard with hypericum. Would prefer never to mow a lawn again! So far this winter, the deer have not touched the bushes I planted last spring, and the beautiful yellow flowers bloomed twice last year; once during the summer and again in early fall.

Musician and Writer

piano88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2010, 08:46 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Our St. John's Wort bloomed, and bloomed, and bloomed some more this past year! It's a nice almost no-maintenance plant that keeps looking pretty good all season long.

I love plants that require very little care, and/or thrive on neglect! That's why I grow mostly native plants...they've survived on their own in nature, so they should survive fairly well on their own in my gardens! Ha!

First day of Spring is now only 61 days away!!! WooHoo!!!

Old 01-19-2010, 01:09 PM   #3

There was an old hippie-type/surfer dude who grew native Texas plants in his yard in Bellaire/Houston. Won alot of awards for it, too, and it was all "free."
He got his start doing this, heads up Hawaiians!, by bringing back some cuttings of native Hawaiian plants from his trip there and the hobby just took off from there.
Used to love going by his overgrown yard with his 2 foot plantings as it was so pretty.
Old 01-19-2010, 01:13 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm not much of a gardener, but the two ground covers I like best are rosemary and heather. The rosemary has to be cut back now and then, but I have heather plants that have required zero maintenance, and have done well (zone 17).
Old 01-19-2010, 08:25 PM   #5

Low maintenance, native plants:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HouseVinedo.jpg (461.7 KB, 1 views)
Old 01-20-2010, 12:38 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakers View Post
Low maintenance, native plants:
That's awesome landscaping, yakers!!! I REALLY like it!!!
Old 01-20-2010, 06:57 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Not too much into ground cover but the native (Southern Ontario) seed mix I put into the flower bed last year was the best no work planting I ever did. More this year.
Old 01-20-2010, 12:46 PM   #8

TromboneAl's yard must smell divine! Wow!
Old 01-21-2010, 12:07 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

For spots of color, Salvia is a nice choice. Several varieties too and they can be low maintenance. Deer don't like some but like others .
Old 01-21-2010, 12:16 AM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'm getting to be a big fan of the Mexican feather grass, and of Mexican Sage (salvia leucanthus). The sage is tender, won't stand a hard freeze, but it's lovely, and the feather grass is stunning when backlit by the setting sun (plant it on the west side of the garden for this effect).
Old 01-21-2010, 02:00 PM   #11

Deer just love Portulaca and Moss Rose, which is such a beautiful ground cover with a wide variety of color. Trust me...they love it..and not in a good way either. They see those plants and they'll be pulled up the next day!
Old 01-21-2010, 03:18 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

I've had a few instances where deer stayed away from something they might have gone after because of some smelly plant right near it. They were eating the lantana but when a lavendar was planted by it they didn't eat the lantana. Ditto for planting flowering garlic next to salvia.