Join Early Retirement Today

Re: I Am Free At Last!!!!!
Old 06-12-2006, 12:49 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer
I personally think that one has to be nuts to want to be a seal from the little that I read.
Nuts? Probably. Competitive? Definitely. Whether he makes it or not he'll definitely become a better, more focused person.

Quote:
Dick Couch has a third book out regarding the Navy SEALS. I don't remember the name of it, but my daughter is planning on getting it for Josh. I am going to check the library to see if they have his other books and read them and try to get my daughter to read them. I would like for her to see what he is going to be up against. I am afraid that she is going to be negative and complaining and he will not need that in his life.
I've heard of "The U.S. Navy SEALs" and "Down Range" but I haven't chased them down yet. I doubt either of them will make her happy...

One of my career frustrations was that the Navy never sponsored studies on the actual divorce rates of the submarine or SEAL communities. I bet it'd be very illuminating.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-13-2006, 07:48 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am glad to hear that you think that he will become a better, more focused person. He is really a very nice sweet person and I was afraid that it will change him into a harder person.

My niece has a friend whose spouse was a Navy Seal. Supposedly, he was told that Seals should not be married and he divorced her. I don't know if that is true or not. A study on actual divorce rates would be interesting.

How long were you in the Navy? Is your spouse in the reserves? How does your daughter deal with her being away?

Dreamer

Old 06-13-2006, 09:06 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I am glad to hear that you think that he will become a better, more focused person.* He is really a very nice sweet person and I was afraid that it will change him into a harder person.*
Uhm, you may be seeing sentiments that I didn't express. By better I mean more physically fit and a more critical thinker, someone who'll know how to identify a goal and chart a path to it. He'll have unbelievable stamina and a high tolerance for pain. He'll be unlikely to lose his temper or to take unnecessary risks (just the ones that he deems necessary). He'll be surprisingly creative & persuasive and he'll avoid confrontation. He'll be a very healthy eater, able to consume an unbelievable amount of food and perhaps go through 5000 calories/day in heavy training. He'll be able to sleep anytime anywhere, although when he wakes up he may be a bit jumpy at first. Nothing will nauseate him or gross him out, although his sense of humor will be permanently bent in that regard. He'll pick up enough first-aid training to rival a rookie paramedic.

Unfortunately part of that package is, I believe, a more pessimistic view of human motivations. He may turn "harder" after BUD/S but it'll probably happen after his first deployment. To me that means he'll probably be a lot more skeptical and even cynical. I think he'll lose all sense of humor about combat and the media's reporting of it. He may be unsympathetic or even angry with people who don't seem to be trying hard enough to reach their goals (or at least straighten out their lives). He may have a seemingly unhealthy fascination with edged weapons and hand-to-hand combat techniques. He'll probably tell liberals that "gun control" is all about sight alignment and a steady trigger finger.

Quote:
My niece has a friend whose spouse was a Navy Seal. Supposedly, he was told that Seals should not be married and he divorced her. I don't know if that is true or not. A study on actual divorce rates would be interesting.
SEALs spend a lot of time away from family and their training messes up any attempt at a regular schedule. It's extremely hard on a marriage. However Dick Couch mentions that the SEALs have learned that marriage & family makes better, more mature SEALs. Unfortunately their operational tempo is pretty high right now, one of the reasons that they let him enlist directly for that training. They can't grow them fast enough to keep up with the expanded missions.

Quote:
How long were you in the Navy? Is your spouse in the reserves? How does your daughter deal with her being away?
Four years at USNA plus another 20 in the submarine force. Spouse did almost 18 years as a meteorologist/oceanographer and is in the Reserves now, drilling mostly at Pacific Command HQ (a couple ridgelines away from our house). She's on the cusp of retirement but these interesting jobs keep sucking her back into the vortex. This month's duty is PACOM's contingency planning for the human outbreak of H5N1 pandemic influenza.

Neither one of us has been away from our daughter for longer than 16 days (I finished my last deployment before we started a family). When she was younger she didn't enjoy the separation so much, but she got through it. When she was ten years old we left her with Grandma & Grandpa while we spent a couple weeks in Bangkok and she did fine. Now my spouse is rarely away for more than two weeks at a time and our teen's sentiments are more along the lines of "How much are you getting paid?" and "Whadja bring me?"...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 09:31 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It will be interesting to see if he actually makes it and whether their relationship makes it.

You and your wife have contributed many years to serving our country. I thank both of you for your service!

I have spent much more time away from my children than you have with yours. Your daughter sounds very well grounded from your comments about her.

Dreamer