Join Early Retirement Today

Re: I announced today that I quit
Old 03-30-2007, 09:05 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Rich in Tampa

Did I hope that she would make the decision for me by denying the day off? I would definitely agree to that statement. It wasn't planned but I decided to draw a line in the sand. Don't tell me a hour before I'm to walk out the door that I can't have the day off. Also because of our system March 31 is the last day one can retire and still receive the annual 2% cola. The retirement board advises retiring before April 1. So I was thinking about it A LOT!!

So why wait? Because the money I would be leaving on the table if I don't wait until the end of 2008 would be significant. I will be paying for health care. But if I quit I would do well. So it goes in my head... :

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2007, 11:58 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

MountaintoSea,
Sounds like you got jumped by junior mgmt, who doesn't really know what to do anyway, and they'll put up with you because they need you more than you need them... Sounds like at some level you decided to stay out your 'sentence'. Good luck hanging in there until end 2008 -- it could be a long 21 months, but maybe you and your supervisor can make up and keep the relationship at least cordial.

Old 04-08-2007, 01:13 PM   #23
Dryer sheet wannabe

Having been on both sides, the only position worse than being someone’s employee is to have employees yourself to worry with.
Important lesson here is to be in a position to do what you want and not to allow other peoples problems to become yours.
Old 04-08-2007, 01:17 PM   #24
Full time employment: Posting here.

ESR Bob,
They both (chief and super) checked in asking if things were ok last week. But on Friday the super once again tried to yank my chain. I've decided to ignore her and go about my business. :

anes,
I agree and plan to do my best!
Old 04-09-2007, 11:49 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaintosea
ESR Bob,
They both (chief and super) checked in asking if things were ok last week. But on Friday the super once again tried to yank my chain. I've decided to ignore her and go about my business. :

anes,
I agree and plan to do my best!
Supervisors manage differently than a manager. Managers manage diferently than a Director, etc.

The scope of the job changes as you go up the food-chain as does management skills (usually). Supervisors are more involved in the day to day trench warfare and health and maintenance of the "troops". Their perspective on employee relationships is different than higher up the ladder. Supervisors tend to enforce the rules closer than others because they have to deal with any repercusions if they show any deviation that is pick up by other employees in the group. Woe be to the supervisor who is inconsistent in granting days off or assigning jobs. These are visible to other employees and therefore becomes one of the areas many employees watch like a hawk.

Supervisors are also in the "middle" between being a worker-Bee and upper management. They catch "stuff" from both sides; employees and management and it is up to them to enforce the rules but also try to keep employees happy and productive. It is a tough job with little thanks from anybody.

If you piss off a supervisor, they may see you as a "problem" that will eventually have to be delt with rather than as an "ally" in the workplace. Supervisors hate problems as it creates more work in an already overbooked day. On the other hand, maybe this person is just afraid of you; most don't know how to react to anyone who challenges their authority. You might want to back off (not back down) to get out of their face to defuse the situation. If you need to stick it out until the end of 2008 that is a lot of work days to "endure" in a hostile work situation.
Old 04-10-2007, 07:17 AM   #26

mtn2c,

Hi. I'd enjoy being a fly on the wall when you finally do tender your resignation.

I quit!!!!!!!!!!...and this time I mean it!