I Be Retired!

TromboneAl said:
Isn't rain water going to go in here?

If not there, where its caulked against that roof...thats going to shrink and expand until the caulk seal breaks...probably in about six months, maybe 12. As long as thats a yearly maintenance item to clean and recaulk that...

Congratulations Al...I am 3 1/2 years behind you...you are an inspiration!

TromboneAl said:
I don't know that much about plumbing, but looking at the picture of your new bathroom vent, are you sure this flashing is right?  Isn't rain water going to go in here?
That's a collar that can be pushed down around the pipe or pulled up higher. Right now it's pushed down, which lets rainwater accumulate and eat at the material, but it can be pulled up to eliminate the water trap. The water won't get in until the material's eaten through, which could literally take a decade.

TH is right-- gotta keep up with the roof maintenance, and bring a tube of caulk with you. However the house made it this far, and it's not likely to fall down from a leak that lasts for a few months!

I say this as we're frustrated trying to figure out where our own $#%^ family room celing leak is coming from. When the bunny goes to his great reward and we start the renovations, a new FR ceiling/roof is the top of the list...

figure out where our own $#%^ family room celing leak is coming from.

I assume you know that the water can travel a long way from the actual entry point before appearing on the wall/ceiling. So all upstream flashing, corners, skylights are suspect. So a lot of looking and thinking can sometimes solve it. Experimentation with a hose on the roof is a last resort.

TromboneAl said:
I assume you know that the water can travel a long way from the actual entry point before appearing on the wall/ceiling.  So all upstream flashing, corners, skylights are suspect.   So a lot of looking and thinking can sometimes solve it.  Experimentation with a hose on the roof is a last resort.
I've fixed a lot of nasty leaks in my time, including crawling through attics during winter rainstorms, but this one has kicked my assets for two years. It's a constant visual reminder that I'm not the home-improvement stud who I think I am.

It's a nasty foot-long stain in a ceiling corner joint. Its roof is below the 2nd-story outside wall and right next to a flashing valley from the adjacent kitchen roof. Did I mention that the family room roof isn't properly pitched and water tends to pool on the edge about 15 feet away from the stain? We've already dumped a couple tubes of roof caulk (in a progressively wider perimeter around the stain) and replaced the kitchen roof flashing (which stopped an unrelated leak). The only way I could find this leak seems to involve tearing a hole in the ceiling and sticking my head up there during the next rainstorm.

It gives me the excuse I want to replace this poorly-built flat ceiling & Brai torch-on roof with a cathedral ceiling, reflective foil insulation, wiring for two ceiling fans, and a composition-shingle roof. I just think we'd drive the bunny crazy with all the noise & dust...

I just returned home after a couple of days away. Reading through the site while sipping two martinis.

Congrats on the retirement. And when did someone take a photo of my dog Ace in the toilet?

Congrats Al! There's something really sweet about knowing your time is your own.

I just got back from vacation, but wanted to add my belated congratulations Al. You Rock! Looking forward to more streaming jazz trombone recitals now that you have the time.

Back
Top Bottom