Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

I came in peas. Board is testy lately
Old 08-30-2005, 02:05 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I came in peas. Board is testy lately

For the first two months posting here I learned a lot about retirement.* I also got "shouted at", "shunned", "spanked" and a few "you are an imbecile" posts.

But with my hide, "I'm like a prehistoric monster into whose hide thousands of arrows can be shot without the slightest effect".* ** Butchered Churchill's speech.

Just in the last couple of weeks, feuds are breaking out all over.* Is this a seasonal thing?* This board offers too much to run off any of the many knowledgeable.

So behave. There. Now we can get on with being civilized you butt heads*
OldAgePensioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: I came in pease. Board is testy lately
Old 08-30-2005, 02:22 PM   #2

I thought it was you that 'failed' at retirement and went back to worK
Old 08-30-2005, 02:23 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldAgePensioner
Just in the last couple of weeks, feuds are breaking out all over. Is this a seasonal thing? This board offers too much to run off any of the many knowledgeable.
I agree with you, but unfortunately, it seems to be the normal lifecycle for any board / newsgroup.

It isn't even a full moon right now.
moghopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 02:29 PM   #4

OAP, are you just trying to get T-Bone Al riled up about spelling again? "I came in pease." I doubt even the stuffed beaver will be able to restrain himself over that one.
wabmester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 02:37 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Every family has squabbles.
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Re: I came in peas. Board is testy lately
Old 08-30-2005, 03:11 PM   #6

Cut-Throat,
don't even mention that subject (ever again) I flunked the polygraph, my plane tickets got cancelled next day. Just went back for a second try. The polygrapher that flunked me had eyes straight out of a horror movie. Looked like he was going to kill me. Most intense person I've ever met. Bragged during the test that he "did the most thorough screening in the business".

The guy is costing the taxpayer lots of cash. If I fail this one, I get flown to Chantilly, VA for further testing. Something that should have taken a day has now dragged on for a month.

Wabmester,
the new title should really rile him.

Old 08-30-2005, 03:51 PM   #7

OAP -

I don't think a lot of members know how to take you. Like for example...you mentioned you were worried about your portfolio's value, i.e. how it dropped so fast in a month or two, yet you live in downtown Chicago. A lot of members put some time in to help you out and you countered with "oh well I am going back to work"...maybe frustrating to those that have tried hard to help out. Dunno maybe that is the reason
Old 08-30-2005, 03:56 PM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldAgePensioner

don't even mention that subject (ever again) I flunked the polygraph, my plane tickets got cancelled next day. Just went back for a second try.....
OAP,

I think the gods are sending you an omen. If I were you I would kick back and enjoy your good fortune. It sounds like you are having a good time in Chicago. Good for you.

LL
LovesLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 04:00 PM   #9

Peas would be nice, whirled peas even better, but don't count on it - especially on the internet.
Given we are a microcosm of society or even the work place, you'll find all the people you left behind when you retired, or endure now if you have not ER'ed. *I spent a fair number of years working closely with a staff numbering anywhere from 15 to 25 folks. * Hanging out on this board is like a flashback to those many, many days we'd spend in a well appointed conference room doing business or doing personal. *Yup, there were some great friendships formed, and there was the guy who always managed *to get around to each of us and offer some criticism about what we were involved in. *He always seemed to be the least talented, and the least aware of it so the criticism could hardly be considered constructive. There was guy who could tell you to go to hell and make you look forward to the trip. One of my most admired. We all made about the same salary, but someone always found it necessary to let the rest of us know that his investing prowess burdened him with a higher tax bracket.
The faces changed fairly regularly so it was to be expected that an occasional jerk would slip into the circle. *Somehow we always seemed to find a solution to that.
So it is on the internet, except that on the internet you've got personalities on steroids due to the anonymity we enjoy (or believe we enjoy)
Anonymous= courage at a level many people never enjoyed before.
No doubt when the phone was invented some loser found courage for the first time and invented the obscene phone call. It's like a court case I observed many years ago. A young hothead had gotten himself in some minor trouble due to his habit of flipping off other drivers. *One of the interesting and humorus things about these guys was the fact *that the flip-or was a tiny little guy likely 90 lbs and the flip-ee could have played football for any pro team. So the judge fined the flip-or and then gave him *this admonition- - -Son, if you're going to flip off people 3 times your size, than I highly recommend you get tinted, no, deep tinted windows on that car of yours. *Anonymous = power without penalty.
So you mix anonymity with this group- - from my short stay here I see older people who are pissed about the hand they've been dealt, *younger people who can't seem to get dealt anything, and lots of happy people young and old who are having the time of their lives. *You want diversity? *Check the God thread. *Probably my greatest eye opener about this group.
SO you want peas?
It's possible, but at the end of the day there will always be a couple of folks that won't be breaking bread with me and who knows how many that feel the same about me. *So long as this is the internet and the appropriate folks have deep tinted windows we should be alright.
Sorry to be so long, if you finished this I probably owe you a Corona. Well, most of you.
JPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 04:10 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Peas porridge hot
Peas porridge cold
Peas porridge in the pot
Nine days old

Don't know why but this thread reminded me of this. People used to (hundreds of years ago) eat peas porridge. Hot at night Cold in the morning and sometimes they kept it in the pot for many days.

I want my Corona!
Old 08-30-2005, 04:11 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

I'll take mine with lime!
laurence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 04:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce1
Peas porridge hot
Peas porridge cold
Peas porridge in the pot
Nine days old

Don't know why but this thread reminded me of this. People used to (hundreds of years ago) eat peas porridge. Hot at night Cold in the morning and sometimes they kept it in the pot for many days.

I want my Corona!
I'll set aside a 6-pac for you- - -you'll need the time to explain that porridge thing
Old 08-30-2005, 04:17 PM   #13

JPatrick,
well said. *Anonymity is great for those who have no real courage. *You also owe me one Corona. *I started this thread because it has been very "Dog Days of Summer" testy on some threads.

And,
Wildcat pointed out, I was very uncertain of my decision to retire and lots of people tried to reassure me. *But in the end, I took a look at being semi-retired with some comfort zone. *Sorry if that offended but I have to look after me.

bruce1,
in England they serve mushy peas. *Not bad but they somehow give one the impression that the bottom of one's shoe might be contaminated with some manure. * *Very strange, the mushing process seems to add a foul odor. *Never saw it served cold.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:31 PM   #14

LL,
When I was working I always passed those stupid things with the Barney/Goober examiners. Maybe retirement is making me feel guilty or maybe the examiner is jealous.

And yeah, Chicago is fab. I enjoy every day here. Oooops is it nearing November? Actually went today to look at cold weather gear.

Someone else above mentioned that it was hard to know how to take me. In reading my posts, I hope I come across as someone who like to have fun and interject a little levity. But never at someone else's expense.

And I was kidding about being scolded, shunned, etc. Just not smart enough to make that clear.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:31 PM   #15

Attached Images
File Type: jpg StuffedBeaverAndPeas.jpg (18.6 KB, 131 views)
Attached Files
File Type: jpg_thumb StuffedBeaverAndPeas.jpg_thumb (19.9 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-30-2005, 04:45 PM   #16

Al,
I do take away, also. Need a VISA number and an address.
Old 08-30-2005, 06:13 PM   #17

Al...

You have the most versatile beaver....
KB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 06:51 PM   #18

I agree that things have been a little testy on some of the boards, especially the God board. I decided that I was not going to be drawn in to the debates and was sure that I would not sway anyone in their thinking. I have included some posters in my prayers also. You owe me a Corona also and I will take mine with a burrito!

Dreamer
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2005, 06:57 PM   #19

KB,
Al's beaver scares me . Now, I have a friend named Mimi with a nice beaver. That's if your interested.

Dreamer, s
kip the Burrito, I've heard that mixing the two can cause sounds that scare even a beaver. Try a big bowl of refried beans and hot peppers with the Corona, you'll sleep like a baby but no one else will.

Old 08-30-2005, 07:47 PM   #20

I'll go for the bonus burrito if you can pronounce it.
If you're not from Texas,* that's questionable.