Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-02-2014, 04:09 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Should have told her you were a performance person and really cared about getting the job done - right.

No, you shouldn't have, but it's fun to think about. One big question, about up and quitting early, is, "Who else, besides the president, will I be screwing over?"

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2014, 04:21 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
Based on your description of the president, IMO, she needs formal training on leadership. At my megacorp, she won't go past 1st line management ("people" manager) with her ways.
I would agree with that 100%. The reality in our organization (and with many other small non-profits) is that people are hired into the organization because they know someone in the organization or because they are "liked". There seems to be very little attempt to identify competencies. I was hired to run their programs on one interview and one recommendation. I had no experience running programs and only a little in managing people. The new pres apparently ran another non-profit at one time, but I know nothing about the organization.

These organizations come and go depending on funding and how well the leaders schmooze with funders. I call them "vanity non-profits" because they are all about the leader. DC is full of them.

Old 05-02-2014, 04:26 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by seraphim View Post
Should have told her you were a performance person and really cared about getting the job done - right.

No, you shouldn't have, but it's fun to think about. One big question, about up and quitting early, is, "Who else, besides the president, will I be screwing over?"

That's exactly why I have decided to stick to the original negotiated phase out. I didn't want to hurt the others on the staff. If I stick to plan, then other staff members will be transitioning to their new tasks and they will have a very clear idea about the environment in which they will be working when I leave. They will miss me for a little while, especially my role as staff psychologist, but they won't need me for the work that needs doing.
Old 05-04-2014, 10:05 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjquantz View Post
The Board endorsed the new strategic plan on Monday Ö a major change in direction for the organization. All program activities will be halted and we will return to our roots as a research and advocacy organization.
Great Ö the world desperately needs more think tanks!

Quote:
Yesterday, as the program manager and I were discussing the progress of her job search, it came to my attention that she has received 1% pay increases over the past two years while the rest of the staff has received 3%. Naturally, she is rather PO'd about this, as am I. This young woman is the hardest worker in the organization, but she and the new president have not gotten along from the very beginningÖ. [T]his individual reports to me.
Iím rather confused by this.

If you were effectively the womanís boss, why did you not realize earlier that she was not receiving the same pay increases as her peers, and go to bat for her? Itís a bit late now.

Quote:
[W]e are talking about a sweet, Midwestern girl who has some problems with assertiveness.
Which is presumably why she received lower annual increase than most other employees. It is up to her to learn from that experience Ö or not.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:06 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
New president made two comments that I thought I would throw out for your comments to see if there are interpretations that I might have missed.

1) After we finished discussing our different styles she said, "You didn't use to mind me coming down to talk." I responded that the context was somewhat different now, she was my boss and that changes the dynamic. Two things that I didn't mention were that she almost always came down to complain about the old president and that at no time have I told her to stop coming down to my office.
2) After we had finished discussing her interactions style she said, " Yes, I am a people person. I really care deeply about what other people think about me."

I don't know if you have missed anything or not, but if these comments came to me from my woman friend, I would assume that I had somehow hurt or offended her, want to defend myself and tell her how mistaken she was, then decide whether I want to keep eating cookies and apologize profusely, or do I want to find myself cookie-less but in my own mind, correct? I have to keep a bullet nearby for me to bite when I struggle to make the sensible decision.

Ha
Old 05-04-2014, 12:10 PM   #26

Quote:
I have discussed that possibility with her (and considered it myself), but we are talking about a sweet, Midwestern girl who has some problems with assertiveness.
Sounds like a valued employee who would benefit from some coaching (from you). So many of us business chicks need to learn assertiveness. We worry that assertive = bitchy, when being (respectfully) assertive is a valuable technique.

Good luck with your situation. CEO transitions are tough.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:50 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milton View Post
Great Ö the world desperately needs more think tanks!

Iím rather confused by this.

If you were effectively the womanís boss, why did you not realize earlier that she was not receiving the same pay increases as her peers, and go to bat for her? Itís a bit late now.

Which is presumably why she received lower annual increase than most other employees. It is up to her to learn from that experience Ö or not.
Milton,

If this were anything like a functional organization I would agree with you 100%. As a "team leader" I am the one who assigns tasks, coordinates activities, etc. In essence, it is my job to make sure that the work gets done. Unfortunately, it is not my job to give performance appraisals (which haven't happened in the last two years, anyway) or to give pay increases. Or, apparently, to even be informed about them.

I will plead guilty to not being sufficiently assertive to push for this staff person.

What's doubly insulting, confusing, etc. is that the 3% was, at one point described as the standard COLA for the entire staff. So again, I plead guilty for not following through and checking to see if the organization was following through on what they said they were doing. Of course, this staff member might have let me know, but that is the assertiveness thing that several folks have mentioned that I should be coaching her on.

Good news is that I am being called tomorrow as a reference for a new position that she has applied for, NOT in our organization.

I DO agree 100% with your think tank comment. That's why I AM out of here after my programs wrap up.