Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-13-2015, 12:41 PM   #21
Dryer sheet wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I see how I can sort the spreadsheet columns but I don't see how to change the formulas to weight the factors, if, say, I would want to filter out the super hot summers rather than the cold winters, and want to eliminate the Obama vote factor. So I don't know how to get results to show anything other than places that ponchoape might consider living. That's not a general "best places to ER list". Maybe I'm missing something in the spreadsheet options.
Google Spreadsheets are pretty decent, but they are not perfect. You should be able to open that spreadsheet link, select "File" -> "Download As" -> then select "Excel .xlsx"

Then this will allow you to download/open in Excel and mess with the filters and make more changes with more flexibility.

Hope that helps!!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2015, 01:41 PM   #22

Interesting exercise. I agree with the mild winters thing - but I'd (personally, just me) have to add in mild SUMMERS. I could not tolerate many (most) of your locations because humidity and temps regularly over 100 are deal breakers for me.

But it's a neat map for outlining your criteria.

Old 08-13-2015, 01:54 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponchoape View Post
Google Spreadsheets are pretty decent, but they are not perfect. You should be able to open that spreadsheet link, select "File" -> "Download As" -> then select "Excel .xlsx"

Then this will allow you to download/open in Excel and mess with the filters and make more changes with more flexibility.

Hope that helps!!
OK, thanks. Might try that for entertainment purposes, since I'm not looking to move.
Old 08-13-2015, 02:05 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Wow, I chose the arrowhead region of Minnesota, that's about as far from any chosen location on the map....I'm going there anyway.
Old 08-13-2015, 05:41 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponchoape View Post

Hope that helps!!
For those that have gmail account, you can "Make a Copy" of the spreadsheet. It ends up on your google drive, and you can make changes there.
Old 08-13-2015, 06:26 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I've considered McAllen/Brownsville TX area as a possible winter haven but wonder about how safe it is being so close to Mexico. Any experience here?
Old 08-13-2015, 06:29 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

I think audrey1 lives in that area. Maybe she'll comment.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 08-13-2015, 06:48 PM   #28

Costs and weather are important factors but lifestyle and standard of living may not account for them.

Bigger cities tend to vote more liberal so you'd think the bias would be for bigger cities but of course they're also more expensive to live in, so they all are the dark pins.

You always get best cities lists all the time. This list is certainly a departure from that, other than it mostly picking out medium sized cities in the southern parts of the country.
Old 08-13-2015, 08:16 PM   #29

You need to add a "Medicaid Expanded Y/N" column. For some this is an important option that needs to be considered.
Old 08-13-2015, 10:46 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

I guess if you think a liberal leaning place makes it better to retire in, but when I realized more voters for Obama improved the ranking of places, I threw up in my mouth a little.
Old 08-13-2015, 11:33 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
well yeah you can't beat the rio grande valley with those criteria - I hope you like very hot, humid summers tho

I was dove hunting around McAllen one September and it was so hot the soles of my boots fell off in the field lol
It is really hot here right now, but it's not humid. Humidity drops into the 40s early in the afternoon and stays down during the evening.

Farther east on the TX coast it's way more humid.
Old 08-13-2015, 11:37 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
I've considered McAllen/Brownsville TX area as a possible winter haven but wonder about how safe it is being so close to Mexico. Any experience here?
Proximity to Mexico is not a safety problem. There is a high law enforcement presence watching the border. It's a very popular winter destination - 150,000 Winter Texans come down every winter - that's a population increase of 10%.

If you look at the crime statistics, McAllen, for example, is safer than many Texas cities. Few of us cross the border - that's where it's really dangerous.

The FBI's List of the Most Dangerous Cities in Texas - Texas Monthly
Old 08-14-2015, 12:23 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Temple TX is not liberal. Nor are Waco or Round Rock.

Not sure where those stats come from.

I have worked in Austin, Temple, Round Rock and several other towns in the central TX corridor.

Just sayin'.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-14-2015, 04:32 AM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

I did some research and came up with a list of the 50 Best US Cities for Earl...

Nice list. I have varying criteria- conservative, Republican, cold weather a plus. So I can just take the map and re- label as 50 worst cities to retire.
Old 08-14-2015, 05:35 AM   #35
Administrator

Let's knock off the political commentary (directed to the thread participants in general, not any particular person). Thank you.
Old 08-14-2015, 12:40 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

The OP started the thread by using a political criterion to rank potential retirement places. That doomed the thread from start, and there's not much to salvage.
Old 08-14-2015, 01:13 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
The OP started the thread by using a political criterion to rank potential retirement places. That doomed the thread from start, and there's not much to salvage.
Identifying the political leaning of an area is a valid criterion for selecting a retirement location. Gumby's warning was not about using it to rank, it was about discussing the politics. The thread is about location.
Old 08-14-2015, 03:16 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Interesting exercise. I agree with the mild winters thing - but I'd (personally, just me) have to add in mild SUMMERS. I could not tolerate many (most) of your locations because humidity and temps regularly over 100 are deal breakers for me.

But it's a neat map for outlining your criteria.
+1

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Old 08-14-2015, 03:57 PM   #39
Full time employment: Posting here.

Side comment...I LOVE THE MODERATORS HERE!

Back to the thread.......
Old 08-14-2015, 03:57 PM   #40

Thank you, Mods.

OP , how did you actually rank the cities.

I downloaded to a google sheet of my own, and was wondering how ya did that map.

Or, pick other criteria if it helps explain things.

Again, thanks for doing this project.