I finally found it and did it!

sheehs1

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I have been looking for years for a week-end "get away" and finally found a place. It's a 1,200 sf 2 bedroom, 2 bath low rise bayfront condo here in Virginia and I close on August 10th. It was a FSBO property and the process of purchasing was so easy. No lawyers, no real estate agents and I am simply going to the Title Company to close. Yes, I was and am very familiar with the complex and the Property Management Association. (my mother had a condo in here that we sold in 2002). I never thought a bay front one would come on the market.

It's about 10% of my overall net worth and 16% of my liquid assets (for those that may want to know). The carrying costs are the lowest I have calculated over my years of searching ($800 or so a month which includes HOA fees, the HO6 - insurance, property taxes, electric, TV/Internet-water and sewer is included in the HOA fee). Typically the carrying costs have run close to $1500/mth for other properties I looked at thru the years - granted they have been larger, single family homes and always felt mentally heavy to me (upkeep, maintenance, and so forth). And there is a bayfront pool! Need I mention, NO exterior Maintenance or yard work! Plenty of parking with one reserved space and three visitor passes and it allowed my 20 pound schnauzer (some down there don't allow dogs and some have a 15 pound weight limit). Yes, believe it or not for one complex I wrote the board to see if they would waive their 15 pound weight limit for a 20 pound dog and they denied it!

This is a "qualify of life" decision for me as it puts me within walking distance of great restaurants, water views with sunrises and sunsets, a walkable beach and within 14 miles of my daughter, son-in-law and my two young granddaughters (Ages 2 and 4) . I also know people there as this city has been my typical go to city for errands for things not typically found in my rural little city. It is only an hour and 10 minutes from my home. I did not want a 3 or 4 hour trek on week-ends. Very doable!

It also gives me the option going forward to sell my home IF and When the yard work and maintenance prove to be too much as i continue to age. There is a retirement community close by. I joked with my daughter, when I get to that point just sell both properties and put me in there. Ha!

It also gives me the option going forward to sell my home IF and When the yard work and maintenance prove to be too much as i continue to age. There is a retirement community close by. I joked with my daughter, when I get to that point just sell both properties and put me in there. Ha!

Just live in the condo when you get to that point. You never get too old to look at the babes. ;) Congrats on your purchase.

Thanks Dawg52. That's my plan! Except I'll be looking at all the male babes. :)

Congrats, I hope it brings you great pleasure. Are you anywhere near VB:confused: My DS lives in VB and every few winter we rent a place there from late Jan/mid Feb. Are you interested in doing some renting?

ivinsfan...Yes..in VB on the bay! They have restrictions on renting. I am allowed to rent for no less than a month. However..there are ways around that! i.e. You are my friends visiting! :). And Yes I would be interested in renting...to "friends" for those weeks as I will probably be at my home during those weeks and months.

I am renovating...sort of. Carpets come out and new floors Aug 11th, new appliances. Furniture in bedrooms delivered Aug 17th and hopefully den/living area furniture and TV over the fireplace along the same time frame. Kitchen cabinets, new countertop (if I decide to replace) and bathroom renovations will have to wait until I have a chance to determine what is reasonable to do. As is, they function just fine but looks like the original 1994 stuff to me.

Last edited:
ivinsfan...Yes..in VB on the bay! They have restrictions on renting. I am allowed to rent for no less than a month. However..there are ways around that! i.e. You are my friends visiting! :). And Yes I would be interested in renting...to "friends" for those weeks as I will probably be at my home during those weeks and months.

I am renovating...sort of. Carpets come out and new floors Aug 11th, new appliances. Furniture in bedrooms delivered Aug 17th and hopefully den/living area furniture and TV over the fireplace along the same time frame. Kitchen cabinets, new countertop (if I decide to replace) and bathroom renovations will have to wait until I have a chance to determine what is reasonable to do. As is, they function just fine but looks like the original 1994 stuff to me.

We would take a month... so no problem ..it won't be in Early 18 that's a longMexico beach trip to celebrate our 45th... but I might target '19....I'll keep you in mind..I "know" you... LOL... so that's more comfortable to me...

Thank you Bestwifeever. I put many a contract on places farther south and always canceled for one reason or another (too many dollars to renovate, hurricane Sandy created damage while in contract phase, higher carry costs, too much ongoing maintenance than I was comfortable with, etc.) Things work out the way they are suppose to!

Good for you! This purchase will really enhance your quality of life.

Sounds perfect, your joy comes across in your post so that's money well spent!

Congratulations. I was a "never condo" person until we found this one four years ago. Now I'm a total convert. Wonderful neighbors, great amenities, and somebody else shovels the snow and cuts the grass.

Great news! Sounds perfect for you. Congratulations and enjoy! [emoji322]

Thank you all for responding. It is much very appreciated. I have been searching for quite a while and I am so excited I just had to tell this community about it!

Back
Top Bottom