Join Early Retirement Today

I guess I am ready after all
Old 11-20-2013, 05:27 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

I guess I am ready after all

I have 218 workdays left (not that I am counting or anything) which is 10 months and 9 calendar days for those people who insist on keeping track

But I did something today that really drove the point home to me that I am ready to go. About 3 years ago I went out on my own and opened my own practice. And it has been lucrative but up and down. A fair amount of my income is contracting back to other bigger offices and that has worked out fine. I am out of the office politics, etc and can work the hours when and where I want. The last project I did was very lucrative and to be honest relatively easy.

So about 3 weeks ago I contracted to assist an out of town firm to do the construction administration on a huge project they have locally. VERY good money, and I am thinking it would be similar to the last project. Yikes--not even close, a total cluster and I would be stepping into a landmine. It would be lots of anxiety and stress and so last night I went out and had a drink with my wife and we discussed it.

Long story short, I withdrew from the project. It is a lot of money to walk away from but at this stage in my life it really isn't worth it to be honest. With my other projects I will make maybe 1/3 to 1/2 of what this one job alone would pay me. But it is nice to internalize and recognize the thought process that I don't care about the money! I have more than enough to have a comfortable retirement -- why put up with all that bullshit and stress?

Just curious if others here had that 'ah-ha' moment when you finally realized what was important AND you recognized that money wasn't it?

Well needless to say I am way less stressed today. The last three weeks were not pleasant ones. And luckily I have plenty of other opportunities but now I know I will be choosier for my last 218 days (not that I am counting mind you!)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-20-2013, 05:58 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It sounds like a very well thought out decision for you, and I'm sure you will be pleased over time that you chose to value your time and freedom over compensation.

And yes, I gave up a ridiculous amount of money six months ago when I left my job, and I've never enjoyed six months of my life so much as these last six. I was just telling my partner today that after experiencing how wonderful the last six months have been, I can't imagine ever going back to work full time, so we need to think twice about the ongoing home renovation projects we keep spending money on and just slow down and keep an eye on expenses so that I don't get that anxiety about needing full time work again. The freedom is more than worth the financial sacrifice for me...no looking back from here.

Good luck with your decision! I believe it was a very good one based on what you've told us.
Ready is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 06:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ready View Post
It sounds like a very well thought out decision for you, and I'm sure you will be pleased over time that you chose to value your time and freedom over compensation.
+1

I made the same choice in 2002. Retired from a police department I was at the top of my game in computer forensics and could easily have stepped into a +100k job with one of several defense contractors. But it would come at the cost of a brutal commute with DC area traffic, probably high stress, and it wasn't worth that.

So we moved to WV. No regrets.
Old 11-21-2013, 06:26 AM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Life gets fairly good when you determine if your stress is self inflicted.

I say I'm the luckiest person in the world because I have my health, family and enough money to live my modest lifestyle without worry. If you can say the same, you also are the luckiest person in the world.

That said, business was always a stress point for me. But.......since I had my family, health and enough money I would relax, spend 5 minutes thinking about how good life was and then return to my challenge and look for a solution, stress free.

My monther used to say "I worried about having no shoes until I met the man who had no feet"........So, today, I'll save my body from stress EXCEPT when I or a family member have a health problem, or a financial problem that I don't know how to handle.

I know my stress solution won't work for many that have to work because you need the money but I'm hopeful that if you're as lucky as many of us are, you can reduce your stress, improve you life and just enjoy it. I know I do.
jerome len is offline   Reply With Quote