Join Early Retirement Today

Re: I guess I joined the Stent Club
Old 10-30-2006, 01:42 PM   #21
Recycles dryer sheets

Kitty...

I had 2 stents put in 9/1...and like you, am doing fine. I consider myself lucky that my primary care guy noticed the odd EKG in my annual physical stress test and sent me to a cardiologist, who did a fancier stress test.

After the 'procedure', the cardiologist increased my aspirin from 81 mg (baby aspirin) to a full one each day...and put me on daily Plavix. My primary care guy increased my pravachol from 40mg to 80mg.

He also told me that the first 6 months were key to whether or not you will have any clotting...which can lead to strokes...but that plavix and the other prescription changes minimize that.

I did change my diet a bit more (I'm diabetic, so can't eat much anyway), eliminating salt and switching to low sodium stuff. I dropped 5 pounds quickly, even tho the diabetic diet had caused a significant reduction in my weight anyway.

I had been exercising daily anyway, which I suspect helped.

I suspect also that this was payback for a misspent youth.

All the best...pp

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2006, 02:52 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfpelican
Uh, oh... I'm in big trouble...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 05:18 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfpelican
Kitty...

I had 2 stents put in 9/1...and like you, am doing fine. I consider myself lucky that my primary care guy noticed the odd EKG in my annual physical stress test and sent me to a cardiologist, who did a fancier stress test.

After the 'procedure', the cardiologist increased my aspirin from 81 mg (baby aspirin) to a full one each day...and put me on daily Plavix. My primary care guy increased my pravachol from 40mg to 80mg.

He also told me that the first 6 months were key to whether or not you will have any clotting...which can lead to strokes...but that plavix and the other prescription changes minimize that.

I did change my diet a bit more (I'm diabetic, so can't eat much anyway), eliminating salt and switching to low sodium stuff. I dropped 5 pounds quickly, even tho the diabetic diet had caused a significant reduction in my weight anyway.

I had been exercising daily anyway, which I suspect helped.

All the best...pp

All of that is familiar, I am on plavix, lipitor 40mg, adult asprin, altace and one other I forget, that's a lot of pills to take, but I'm taking them.

My previous sins are catching up to me working a high stress job, bad, bad eating habits not enough rest, worked way to many hours, for way to many years. And a fast food diet lots of fried this and that lucky things weren't worse.

I hope the meds and the changes do the job and keep me out of trouble from now on got lots of things to do.

Kitty
Old 10-30-2006, 05:42 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to yelnad Send a message via Yahoo to yelnad

Many well wishes to you Kitty.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:52 PM   #25
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Glad to hear that things are going well for you. I love reading your blog and admire all the hard work that you do. Don't forget to take time to smell the roses. Best wishes with everything!
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 08:52 PM   #26
Recycles dryer sheets

The unfortunate thing is a high stress job contibutes to these conditions but once you have them you cant quit the high stress job because you need the medical insurance benefits which you either will not be able to qualify for or afford due to the pre-existing condition. At that point ER is effectively not an option and you are trapped with no realistic escape from the downward spiral .
Hydroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 09:01 PM   #27
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydroman
The unfortunate thing is a high stress job contibutes to these conditions but once you have them you cant quit the high stress job because you need the medical insurance benefits which you either will not be able to qualify for or afford due to the pre-existing condition. At that point ER is effectively not an option and you are trapped.
Nah, just go on the Pritikin Program. Nathan Pritikin completely cleaned out his arteries after his heart attack.

http://product.half.ebay.com/The-Pri...nfoQQprZ179949

"Who among us is smart enough to learn from the mistakes of others?" - Voltaire
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 09:05 PM   #28
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick
Nah, just go on the Pritikin Program. Nathan Pritikin completely cleaned out his arteries after his heart attack.

http://product.half.ebay.com/The-Pri...nfoQQprZ179949
Nah, once you have that heart attack or just diagnosis of heart disease you are not going to qualify for any independent medical insurance policy (at least one that is affordable). Won't matter if you have managed to clean up your health. You will be for ever married to your job.
Old 11-02-2006, 02:37 AM   #29
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydroman
The unfortunate thing is a high stress job contibutes to these conditions but once you have them you cant quit the high stress job because you need the medical insurance benefits which you either will not be able to qualify for or afford due to the pre-existing condition. At that point ER is effectively not an option and you are trapped with no realistic escape from the downward spiral .
I see your point but this is another important difference in how I view
work/life/living. IMHO, you are never "trapped". Not in a job, not in a marriage, not even in continuing to exist. There are always options,
some more appealing than others, but options none the less.

JG
Old 11-02-2006, 11:41 AM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr._johngalt
I see your point but this is another important difference in how I view
work/life/living. IMHO, you are never "trapped". Not in a job, not in a marriage, not even in continuing to exist. There are always options,
some more appealing than others, but options none the less.

JG
You absolutely right John. But who has the guts to pick the option of giving up their job and medical benefits with known pre-existing health problems such as heart disease?