I looked at people RE very differently

I'm in the camp that would say "why on earth would they keep working when they have all that?"

I had an employee ask me that about our CEO once, my answer was "your question is exactly why neither of us will ever be, or would want to be, CEO". Folks that are have all that, and no intention of quitting, are doing it for another reason than the money. Power, fame, purpose, social standing, saving the world, whatever it is, it's not the paycheck.

I had always saved in my pre-tax accounts, avoided bad debt, LBYM. I was setting up for an approx 60 years old retirement with plenty of money. Been working full time since 15, except part-time during school. Graduated college as an engineer with no debt. Then when I was 37 my father had a severe disabling stroke at 60, which was less than 1 year before his planned retirement. Forced him to become medically retired. All of his and Mom's planned retirement went away. That really changed my perspective. Now I am firmly in the "Retire now with more time, better health, even if a bit less money" attitude. I retired at 53.5 3 months ago; could not be happier. The current bull run has certainly helped make that decision to retire easier.

I never viewed someone that RE as anything other than successful. Something to be striving for myself. Just because the rest of society has bought into the work until FRA, or at least 62 for minimum SS, does not mean I was of the same belief. I may have started when younger thinking about the 60 years age being a good target, but earlier was better if I could do it.

I never thought about it much, just that I wanted to do it sooner rather than later. So I saved and invested and then it just sorta happened.

I think we have a bad definition of retirement. The goal is CHOICE which comes with FI. Keep working if you love your job, you feel it is contributing to a bigger something, etc. But retirement is about choice with limited to no compromise. Which is easiest to do when FI is accomplished.

This was key for me. Two things opened my eyes. One was a discussion with a coworker who said that a guy at her old company, probably in is 50s, had been told he was being promoted to a job he didn't want. They told him he had no choice. "Oh, yes, I do", he said. He retired. I was only 27 when I heard that but it stuck with me. Four years later Dad was demoted from his job running one district of a major (back then) steel company. Six months later he cut loose and he and Mom moved from the cold Midwest to Myrtle Beach, where Dad tried working as a financial advisor but was apparently too honest for the job. He quit but they did fine. Mom died last year and Dad is in independent living and, at age 86, still has over half a million to his name.

I'd always had my mental clock set at age 65 but when the politics became intolerable at age 61 I left. I had that choice after years of LBYM.

Some very interesting ways people seen ER. Some great story's.

One can enlist Active Duty military at 17. Plus 20 years equals 37. So when I was young, 37 seemed like ER.
But not by much, I mean my parents were in their thirties and they were super old.

At a young age, I looked at RE as a goal. A goal that drove my savings/investing early-on, and kept me spending less/saving more for > 40 years. A goal which has just been achieved at age 57.

Congratulations! [emoji322]

In my twenties megacorp had a pension that was 30 years retire at any age with healthcare included. My plan was to retire at 30 years or 52 and “do what I wanted”

Then in 1999 they cash balanced us and took away healthcare. I figured I would not be able to afford to RE until my late 50s. And had no clue about how to get healthcare at that age. But would deal with it later.

Then over the past 8 years I have done well financially (income and real estate investments). The aca is (barely) in place and fire is again possible at 30 years and any age (for me 52)

Funny how life had a way of working itself out, isn’t it?

DW and I began buying rental real estate about 30 years ago with the idea that since I was self employed, it was a good retirement plan. It has been.

Loved my career and could not believe anyone would retire at age 62, until the great recession destroyed my business in 07'.

Crawled and clawed our way to my age 62 and early SS. Now livin' the dream mostly retired, but with a hobby job. Reinforcements (DW SS) in the next 6 months. Helped along, in great part, by properties we have owned for 20+ years.

My grand goal was to reach FI, not necessarily RE. The ability to walk out seemed incredibly liberating. I reached that point likely in mid 50's. Enjoyed the career until politics changed and BS bucket got topped off at 60. Left and tried a different avenue and realized I was just ... done. So here I am. Life is good.

I had some of that feeling at FI, but it wasn't enough. RE is so much better.

Congratulations! [emoji322]
Thanks! Last day at work is 12/31/2017, but I’ve just interviewed and submitted hiring recommendations for my replacement(s), so in reality, am winding down now. Only one meeting on my calendar for today, two tomorrow and ONE on Friday!!! And, I’ve just hit “inbox zero”. Will spend most of Jan on Kauai, then begin my volunteer gigs when I return. Finally seeing a payoff for all those years of savings...

Sounds awesome! DH & I retired just over a year ago. I still remember the feeling of driving out of the office garage for the last time. So exciting!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom