Join Early Retirement Today

I may lose my ER status
Old 04-08-2011, 09:08 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

I may lose my ER status

I may have to change it to "kept man". My wife has taught a night class at the local college for the last few years, but it only was from 6-9 one night a week, still had summers off and lots of breaks. She makes 15k a year, that i of coarse put the max into IRA's, the rest I figure was wear and tear on the car. Well the Dean cornered her the other night and talked her into teaching another class, actually she wanted her to go full time or teach more, but she only agreed to the one. Still summers off.

So now I have to live with the fact that my wife will have earned income above what I can just ignore by putting it into a IRA. Am I just another one who claim's to be ER, but still has a working spouse. She will have to put in 9 hours some weeks. I'm not sure how to feel about this.

I think I need to replace my 1/2 ton truck with a 3/4 ton diesel. I think that may make me feel better, I kind of like the dodges.
dm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2011, 09:11 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

But, but, but, will she have enough time off to go with you in your new truck, pulling that TT?

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:16 AM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I thought I was ER last June when my $@#!&* employer thought I made too much $$$ and let me go. And, with a full-time working DW also considered myself a kept man. I'm still not sure whether to use the word "Fortunately" or "Unfortunately," but in any event got hired by another company last November. I still have fond thoughts about my "first retirement" and do not expect my current employed status to last more than 18 months.
mystang52 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:29 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Don't forget that if your DW has income, you can continue to stash money into a spousal Roth in your name, or even make a deductible IRA contribution if you prefer.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 09:30 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
But, but, but, will she have enough time off to go with you in your new truck, pulling that TT?
She gets December and january off, we already have reservations for most of January. And she is off close to 4 months in the summer. The dean also said that she could do some of the classes online or change things around if she needs to. Our son is getting married in November in St Thomas, and we planed to take a couple of weeks off for that. The dean said no problem.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:37 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Don't forget that if your DW has income, you can continue to stash money into a spousal Roth in your name, or even make a deductible IRA contribution if you prefer.
Yep, been doing it for years. She makes just a little more than the max we can fund. Since the check was just going into the IRAs I felt that I was still a honest ER. Now we are going to have earned income, oh the shame.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:02 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

You'll get over being a 'kept man' pretty quickly. I know I have.

Being broke and living off your wife's income is completely different from being FI and having a wife who works because she enjoys it.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 12:45 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FD View Post
You'll get over being a 'kept man' pretty quickly. I know I have............
When I start feeling guilty I buy new thong underwear and a bowtie.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 02:25 PM   #9

I was a house boy for most of 20 years while Ms G. was climbing the corporate ladder. I was always showed off as a trophy husband. Believe what you want.

Nothing to be ashamed of, actually it felt good.
grasshopper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 02:50 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

My DH dreams of joining your ranks, y'all boytoys.

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 10:43 PM   #11

I'm totally cool with being a kept man. DW and I have kicked around with youngin' #2 on the way. Stay at home dad? I could totally pull that off...

dm, I was right there with ya until you got to the dodge part, and then you lost me. Dodge means "to avoid" - its says so right in the dictionary.

Two words - Duramax diesel.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:58 AM   #12

Well bow-tie, Ive had two Corvettes that were fine, but Ive had three chevy trucks and they have had more than their share of problems. I have an Avalanche now that is on its second trans and motor. I had a blazer that lost the trans around 100k, and I had a silverado pickup back in the day that had to have the heads replaced around 70k. Ive had ford trucks and they have always held up well. I just havn't heard good things about their diesels, I wish the ford had the cummins, then it would be a easy choice.

I guess I'll just have to get use to having a little extra money coming in. I'll go with being a trophy husband.
Good Advice
Old 04-11-2011, 11:21 AM   #13
Recycles dryer sheets

Good Advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
I Max out on a spousal IRA for my SO who does not have a retirement plan and a Roth IRA for myself, I have a 403B plan. I am funding Wellisley Income Fund - lots of tax defered and free Income! I started doing this 5 years ago and wish I started many years ago. Putting all your income generating funds in a IRA or 401/3 plan just makes good financial sence.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:05 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm View Post
I may have to change it to "kept man". My wife has taught a night class at the local college for the last few years, but it only was from 6-9 one night a week, still had summers off and lots of breaks. She makes 15k a year, that i of coarse put the max into IRA's, the rest I figure was wear and tear on the car. Well the Dean cornered her the other night and talked her into teaching another class, actually she wanted her to go full time or teach more, but she only agreed to the one. Still summers off.

So now I have to live with the fact that my wife will have earned income above what I can just ignore by putting it into a IRA. Am I just another one who claim's to be ER, but still has a working spouse. She will have to put in 9 hours some weeks. I'm not sure how to feel about this.

I think I need to replace my 1/2 ton truck with a 3/4 ton diesel. I think that may make me feel better, I kind of like the dodges.
Don't forget what "kept men" are kept for. Make sure you keep up that end of the bargain.
Just enjoy the fact that you don't have to work and enjoy the summers. I don't see the problem. Just keep your 1/2 ton, diesel is expensive nowdays. I've got a 1994 Dodge Ram that I bought new and I still like it. I think the best way to save money is to keep your vehicles for a long time.
kbst
kbst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 02:00 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm View Post
Well bow-tie, Ive had two Corvettes that were fine, but Ive had three chevy trucks and they have had more than their share of problems. I have an Avalanche now that is on its second trans and motor. I had a blazer that lost the trans around 100k, and I had a silverado pickup back in the day that had to have the heads replaced around 70k. Ive had ford trucks and they have always held up well. I just havn't heard good things about their diesels, I wish the ford had the cummins, then it would be a easy choice.

I guess I'll just have to get use to having a little extra money coming in. I'll go with being a trophy husband.
The Dodge/Cummins is a good choice. While I've had my share of problems with GM in the last 10 years the Isuzu Diesel (Duramax) is no slouch either.
foxfirev5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 02:15 PM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bow-tie View Post
I'm totally cool with being a kept man. DW and I have kicked around with youngin' #2 on the way. Stay at home dad? I could totally pull that off...

dm, I was right there with ya until you got to the dodge part, and then you lost me. Dodge means "to avoid" - its says so right in the dictionary.

Two words - Duramax diesel.
Found
On
Road
Dead

Drips
Oil
Drips
Grease
Everyday

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 03:37 PM   #17
Give me a forum ...

"The only thing better than not having a job is having a wife who has one"
marko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2011, 06:36 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by marko View Post
"The only thing better than not having a job is having a wife who has one"
It takes a brave man to make that statement.
Old 04-16-2011, 07:36 AM   #19
Give me a forum ...

Well, I don't say it in FRONT of her!!
marko is offline   Reply With Quote