Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

I put my retirement toe in the water
Old 01-09-2008, 09:32 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

I put my retirement toe in the water

I haven't totally retired, but it almost feels like it. As of today I'm on a two-day-per-week schedule. That plan is more to help with the changeover than to benefit me. But I like the idea, at least for awhile. I'm so anal about this money thing.

Some consulting may or may not be possible over the next few months for another company. It looked promising until the "R" word began bouncing around. We'll see. That would be fun to do, and I could use the eggs as they say.

I've begun making my lists of things to do that I've been putting off, and I feel a lot better getting some of these items checked off. Stopping just before a downturn is not perfect timing, but hey, I can't turn back the clock. My father FIRE'd around age 55, so I'm getting a late start.

Now, I've got to get that garden plot ready, and those trees cut, and those shelves organized, and that rental property dryer repaired, and...

This will be fun.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-09-2008, 11:20 AM   #2

whoo hoo!
Caroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 08:47 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

Go for the full body immersion -- the water is fine.
Jake46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 06:25 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caroline View Post
whoo hoo!
Aw, come on Caroline. When you've toiled in hell, anything looks better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake46 View Post
Go for the full body immersion -- the water is fine.
It's coming. I just can't leave things in a chaos though. Shoot, I'm feeling so much better already, I'm not sure I could handle completely stopping in one big dose. It would be like a drug overdose. Plus, 39 years of w**k is a habit hard to break.
Old 01-12-2008, 05:10 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightasadrum View Post
...... I'm not sure I could handle completely stopping in one big dose. It would be like a drug overdose. Plus, 39 years of w**k is a habit hard to break.
Sounds like you need to be "rehabbed" from that addictive w*rk habit of yours .

But we're all rooting for you. With a support group like us here at ER Forums, you can do it! Even cold turkey!

Break that habit. Dive in!
Old 01-12-2008, 10:27 PM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightasadrum View Post
Plus, 39 years of w**k is a habit hard to break.
... you'd be surprised how EASY it is to break this indentured servitude habit

don't try and be 'half pregnant'
Old 01-13-2008, 04:58 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

I like your "toe in the water" method. I wish I could have jumped straight from full time to 2 days a week. I'm doing the 5,4,3... thing. Sounds like you have some fun projects lined up to pull you through this transition.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 11:37 AM   #8

Thanks all,

I got started the last two days by cutting trees off the back of the dam. (Live on a lake). In the past I would have driven myself to do as much as daylight allowed and been unable to get out of bed the next morning. This time I just worked a few hours until I liked the looks of the progress I'd made. I still have a long way to go on this one, it's probably 150 yards long and 30 feet high, but it feels good to have started knowing that a little per day will get it done. And now I have MORE DAYS A WEEK TO WORK ON IT. It sure feels like I'm retired.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:05 PM   #9
Dryer sheet aficionado

Congratulations! I retired at 56 a few years ago but, thanks to the collective wisdom of this board (Thanks, Martha!) I took a part-time job that paid an amount about equal to my SWR from the stash. That worked out rather well, so I feel that my finances are on firm ground. I am about to "break the habit", though: I will leave this job at the end of the month and get on with living.
Chester_A._Riley is offline   Reply With Quote