I put my retirement toe in the water

tightasadrum

Full time employment: Posting here.
I haven't totally retired, but it almost feels like it. As of today I'm on a two-day-per-week schedule. That plan is more to help with the changeover than to benefit me. But I like the idea, at least for awhile. I'm so anal about this money thing. :p

Some consulting may or may not be possible over the next few months for another company. It looked promising until the "R" word began bouncing around. We'll see. That would be fun to do, and I could use the eggs as they say.

I've begun making my lists of things to do that I've been putting off, and I feel a lot better getting some of these items checked off. Stopping just before a downturn is not perfect timing, but hey, I can't turn back the clock. My father FIRE'd around age 55, so I'm getting a late start.

Now, I've got to get that garden plot ready, and those trees cut, and those shelves organized, and that rental property dryer repaired, and...

This will be fun. :D

whoo hoo!

Aw, come on Caroline. When you've toiled in hell, anything looks better.:D

Go for the full body immersion -- the water is fine.

It's coming. I just can't leave things in a chaos though. Shoot, I'm feeling so much better already, I'm not sure I could handle completely stopping in one big dose. It would be like a drug overdose. Plus, 39 years of w**k is a habit hard to break.

...... I'm not sure I could handle completely stopping in one big dose. It would be like a drug overdose. Plus, 39 years of w**k is a habit hard to break.

Sounds like you need to be "rehabbed" from that addictive w*rk habit of yours :D.

But we're all rooting for you. With a support group like us here at ER Forums, you can do it! Even cold turkey!

Break that habit. Dive in!

I like your "toe in the water" method. I wish I could have jumped straight from full time to 2 days a week. I'm doing the 5,4,3... thing. Sounds like you have some fun projects lined up to pull you through this transition.

Thanks all,

I got started the last two days by cutting trees off the back of the dam. (Live on a lake). In the past I would have driven myself to do as much as daylight allowed and been unable to get out of bed the next morning. This time I just worked a few hours until I liked the looks of the progress I'd made. I still have a long way to go on this one, it's probably 150 yards long and 30 feet high, but it feels good to have started knowing that a little per day will get it done. And now I have MORE DAYS A WEEK TO WORK ON IT. It sure feels like I'm retired.:D

Congratulations! I retired at 56 a few years ago but, thanks to the collective wisdom of this board (Thanks, Martha!) I took a part-time job that paid an amount about equal to my SWR from the stash. That worked out rather well, so I feel that my finances are on firm ground. I am about to "break the habit", though: I will leave this job at the end of the month and get on with living.

Back
Top Bottom