Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-26-2007, 08:09 AM   #21
Confused about dryer sheets

Congratulations, Dangermouse! Like me, you may experience a little 'buyer's remorse' over the next couple of weeks and whenever you get that empty feeling, immediately convert your thoughts away from the J O B and onto the wonderful future that has begun already.

Since you've been so active, you'll need to latch on to something right away to keep your adrenaline flowing or you'll get bored. The first 2 times that I retired, I retired FROM something, got bored and went back to work. This time, I've retired TO planned activities - and I love it!

Now, can't you contract some rare oriental disease for the next 2 weeks? LOL

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2007, 04:17 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I had one of those days today that made we want to call in and quit. But I think I'm going to stick to it till April 08. Need that extra money to make me feel a little more secure & there is a little bonus if I stay till then.

Congratulations!

Old 09-26-2007, 08:24 PM   #23

One thing I have noted since I dropped the bomb on Monday is there appears to be a smile permanently adhered to my face. I may stay a little longer than the required 2 weeks to give them an opportunity to find someone new and transition the organisation. However, I have already stated that means I need to immediately cut my work week to 4 days and I can guarantee I will be out the door on time each day.

I have noted my brain has truly kicked into slacker mode, I really have no enthusiasm for doing anything that is job related.

I have no fear of being bored as most of the past 10 years have been spent as a trailing spouse so I know how to entertain myself. Truthfully I have found work to be an inconvenience to the things I want to do in life and already I can't wait to hit the library, spend some time working out, start eating food that doesn't come out of a box and having time to do my paperwork instead of letting it pile up until the weekend.

I can only imagine how I am going to feel that first Sunday evening going to bed knowing that I will not have to drag my butt out of bet at 6.00 the next morning.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 08:28 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
One thing I have noted since I dropped the bomb on Monday is there appears to be a smile permanently adhered to my face.
Betcha can't wipe it off...even if you wanted to!

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 12:35 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post
I can only imagine how I am going to feel that first Sunday evening going to bed knowing that I will not have to drag my butt out of bet at 6.00 the next morning.
Yup! That's the first sign...kinda like waking up as a kid and finding out the schools are closed unexpectedly. But don't be surprised if you find yourself actually waking up at 6 am on that first Monday -- the adjustment may take a little bit of time to sink in.
Old 09-27-2007, 03:58 PM   #26
Full time employment: Posting here.

Congratulations!

I used to hate the alarm clock that got me out of bed at 6:00 am to go to work. Now, most days I'm up and rarin' to go at 05:00. Every few months there will be a day that I feel like sleeping in to 8 or 9. It's nice to have no pressure. really, really nice!
Old 09-27-2007, 11:45 PM   #27

Gawd, I have never done so little work in a day like I did today. Motivation is zero, care factor even less. All I care about is me, me and me and getting ready to get this process over with. I hope they find a replacement and I can drive off into the sunset and live happily ever after. I started to make a list of the books I want to read and can't wait to start playing tennis again to lose some of the weight that badly needs to be shifted.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 03:13 PM   #28

Hmmm, weight might need to be shifted--and that will come later, but it sounds like your mind is already making the move to being retired! Hang in there, you're almost there!
Old 09-28-2007, 08:59 PM   #29
Dryer sheet wannabe

I'm on a one month count down. Many people already know I am out of here. It really is getting boring watching everyone slave away....
Old 09-28-2007, 10:59 PM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

My story is a little different from the others. I was very happy in the teaching profession. I actually enjoyed my job.

As I came closer to the age of 55, I realized that life is not forever. We need to be thankful for each day, as our life can come to an end in a heartbeat.

I asked myself the following question, "If you only had a year to live, would you spend it teaching." The answer was a definitive no. The next question is, "So then why am I working?"

Working made no sense. My wife and I were financially independent, so why why not spend each day doing something we enjoy more?

We both turned in our notice in the Spring of 2006 and have enjoyed our stress free lives ever since. As much as I loved teaching, traveling is much more enjoyable.

I now look forward to weekdays, when kids are in school and everybody is at work and the roads are less crowded. We can now choose the ideal time when we want to go somewhere and not be overwhelmed with crowds. When we see drivers rushing to get to work on time, we feel sorry for them.

Some may ask, "Well don't you get bored?" My standard rebuttal is, "I don't know when I ever had time for work before."

I can still vividly an incident that took place as we drove down Cape Cod in the afternoon a year ago this month. We stopped for a sandwich at a deli and decided to make a picnic out of our lunch and eat in a park. While we were enjoying our lunch, a school bus stopped and dropped off some noisy children. As they got off the bus, I was thankful that I was now able to spend my time traveling instead of being confined to a classroom. This incident has always served to validate my decision for early retirement.

I wish you many years of freedom, contentment and happiness, DangerMouse!