Join Early Retirement Today

I went back to work today
Old 08-04-2009, 09:09 PM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

I went back to work today

I retired in oct. 2007 at the market high. I was 50 then. I have kept in touch with my old boss as we have been friend's for over 20 yrs, long before he became president of the company. And you just never know what is going to happen, and I don't want to burn any bridges. I talked with him last week and he wanted to schedule a meeting today, so I went in. I went in at 11:30 so we went out to lunch, it was a nice talk and lasted about 2 hours.

I am to report on August 24 at the country club for the annual company golf outing. And I thanked him for the ball tickets that he gave me when I had some relatives visiting. I'm still glad I retired early.
dm is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-04-2009, 09:39 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm View Post
I retired in oct. 2007 at the market high. I was 50 then. I have kept in touch with my old boss as we have been friend's for over 20 yrs, long before he became president of the company. And you just never know what is going to happen, and I don't want to burn any bridges. I talked with him last week and he wanted to schedule a meeting today, so I went in. I went in at 11:30 so we went out to lunch, it was a nice talk and lasted about 2 hours.

I am to report on August 24 at the country club for the annual company golf outing. And I thanked him for the ball tickets that he gave me when I had some relatives visiting. I'm still glad I retired early.
I'm to report to work next week. Meet with the guys at 9:00am on Aug 13th, get in the SUV and head south to Destin, FL for the annual company golf trip. I hadn't planned on going this year but they keep asking me to go so I caved. I'm so easy. Oh yes, all expenses paid so what the heck.
Old 08-04-2009, 09:57 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

dm & Dawg you guys ROCK! GRRRRRRRREAT part time work!
crazy connie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 06:34 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Sucked me right in...

I humbly bow to your expert use of the slow pitch
Old 08-09-2009, 08:02 AM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

I fell for it hook, line and sinker! Here I was all prepared to offer my deepest sympathy. You two can feel sympathy for me when I return to the office tomorrow after a week of vacation time.
bubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 01:32 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

And here we were, ready to commiserate with some poorly conceived asset allocation plan and sad return to the cubicle. Wage-earners that we are--so gullible! Good job sucking us in!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 07:53 PM   #7
Recycles dryer sheets

Very funny indeed.
Radiophilejapan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 07:20 AM   #8
Full time employment: Posting here.

I had a good time at the golf outing. I got alot of the, " your to young to be retired", I just replied that there is no age requirement. Some are curious on how I did it, they assume I hit it big in the stock market or a rich uncle left me some money. They really don't want to hear that I simply had a goal and LBYM to get there.

I have found that I enjoy the golf outings, ball games, and lunches more now that I'm retired. But outside of the occational stopping by if I'm in the area, which is seldom, I don't see any of my old work friends.
dm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 07:40 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dm View Post
I had a good time at the golf outing. I got alot of the, " your to young to be retired", I just replied that there is no age requirement. Some are curious on how I did it, they assume I hit it big in the stock market or a rich uncle left me some money. They really don't want to hear that I simply had a goal and LBYM to get there.

I have found that I enjoy the golf outings, ball games, and lunches more now that I'm retired. But outside of the occational stopping by if I'm in the area, which is seldom, I don't see any of my old work friends.
I enjoyed my trip as well. Pretty resort. I only got a couple of questions concerning my retirement. And that was from a couple of vendors. They were probably wondering........'why am I paying for this retired guys trip?'