Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

I went back to work yesterday.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:01 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

I went back to work yesterday.

Perhaps what I should say is "I visited the old office yesterday." (OK, TH, you can wipe the spewed nasal milk off the monitor now.) I've been outta there for three years and never had any reason/interest to go back, but friends of the family are in town this week so we finagled a tour.

The tour brought back all sorts of nightmares fond memories that I'll doubtless be reliving at 2:30 AM for months to come, but what really impressed me are the changes. For example a simulator's computer has been upgraded from a 286 to a Pentium. (No kidding. You can't rush change, so they kept the 9-pin dot-matrix printer just in case.) At that same simulator, one of the troops connected an old thermal imager to a B&W TV for a monitor that cost, uhm, ZERO and will probably be implemented at all submarine trainers next year. (Your tax dollars at work, folks.) Another simulator was renamed for a WWII submariner whose heroism saved his ship but who was only recently awarded the Silver Star. Now the students pass by his memorial for an example of how their new skills could help their on-the-job performance.

It was good to see the troops, too. I got a few "Who the heck are you?" reactions from the new staff, but they were muted by the high-fives & hugs of those whom I haven't seen for months. The contractors are enjoying life now that our job-quality changes (started five years ago!) are finally producing the benefits. One of them is retiring in a couple years and he's eager to learn more about how we did it. I was flattered to discover that the guy in my old job has marketed some of his ideas by saying "I discussed this with Nords and..." He's planning to ER in about five years (when he reaches his 20 years of service). A shipmate and I rediscovered each other after a decade; he's teaching there and his kid goes to school with mine. Another of the instructors left the command in 1997 (as I was arriving) under a shoplifting conviction but has returned a changed man-- completely turned his life around, the father of new triplets, advanced from E-4 to E-6, hit the top instructor qualifications, and he's bucking for chief petty officer. He's already a success whether he promotes or not.

Our friends couldn't stop talking about all the cool things they saw and the neat people they met. Their 18-year-old daughter is asking an awful lot of questions about the Navy.

I'll probably be going back someday for lunch. And I think I'm going to have to give some surfing lessons...

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: I went back to work yesterday.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:50 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Was there one word about the ponytail?

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 04:45 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43
Was there one word about the ponytail?
Apparently that word was already out.

I told the guy I hadn't seen since 1997 "You haven't changed a bit!" and he said "You sure have!"

Co-author (with my daughter) of “Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence.”
Author of the book written on E-R.org: "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement."

I don't spend much time here— please send a PM.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2005, 09:10 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've been back to work several times. The last 2 times was for lunch with several friends.
It actually feels good to visit because
(4) It's a nice 9 mile bicycle ride to the place.
(3) I don't have to carry my 8 lb laptop in my backpack. Did that for 3 years.
(2) I get to arrive noonish and leave after lunch for parts unknown.

(1) I am still getting paid!

Old 06-22-2005, 06:54 AM   #5

I went back to work to go to lunch with one of my former co-workers.

It was just after they had sold the company to the competition. I took a 'victory lap' so to speak. There were not a lot of happy faces around there.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:51 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Never set foot in the building (any of them) since I left.

Every time I drive by though, I sing-song out "Thanks for allll the monnnneyyyy! And the free computer!"...which the last year or two has been "Thanks for alll the monnneyyyy! And the crappy computer thats been in my garage for the last two years!"

Lots of invites to stop by and have lunch. Followed by honest statements that they really just want to spend the next 2 weeks getting peppered by people asking if I'm coming back to work or what I had to say about the company...those have sort of fallen off now that its been four years though.

The good news is I'm still on ALL of the joke email lists...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote