Join Early Retirement Today

Re: I wonder what % of FIREs are Introverts?
Old 04-16-2006, 06:45 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

I used to always test as ESTJ (though not heavily "E"), but over time I am becoming more of an introvert. I'm coming up ISTJ now. I am realizing that I like being around people in small groups, but I really love having alone time. I took the test again and ISTJ it is. When I read the description, it's definitely me.

I did a search on ISTJ in this forum, and there are a lot of us, judging by the informal "poll" last September.

CJ

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2006, 08:33 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha
I think the personality test thing is kind of fun and probably accurate.*
But clinical psychologists disagree with you -- not about the fun part. I have never seen a paper addressing the view of professionals on the fun aspect of the test.

Quote:
It does seem as if people who test as introverts think they are introverts.
That seems like a stretch. Is this based on the sample of posters at ER boards who have bothered to post on the subject? Has anyone really collected any valid data on whether people who test introvert on the test think they are introverts? Although would you really expect people to post, "I tested I and I don't believe I'm an introvert"? Then there is the problem that the I (introvert) rating of the test is not supposed to correlate to what is normally referred to as introvert behavior. So even if someone did test I and not believe they were an introvert, they might simply have read a detailed article about the test and discovered that, in fact, the test rank of I does not imply that they are a social introvert.

But, the fun thing does trump reason here. As the sole cult follower of *****, JWR, would say, "Have fun."

Old 04-16-2006, 08:36 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm actually not sure which one followed which.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 08:41 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cute Fuzzy Bunny
I'm actually not sure which one followed which.
Are you kidding? ***** was the founder of the Fnancial Freedom Community. I've seen him post that fact.
Old 04-16-2006, 08:49 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

But he really isnt a numbers guy and theres all that research, playing with each others tools, etc...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 03:23 AM   #26

No one's taking into account the fact that the ER people sitting in front of computers are more likely to be INTJ.

The others are out doing something gregarious instead of reading this forum and responding to polls!

I don't need to say how I tested; I will leave it up to your imagination.*

P.S. Oops.. working back through the unread topics I see a few people already did mention this....
Old 04-17-2006, 04:28 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

I never did like labels anyway. They are too confining. I have been called many names, a lot of them were four letter words, such as in the study, only a few actually had validity. Not telling you which ones, I'll leave it to your imagination.
Lieutenant Dan got me invested in some kind of fruit company. So then I got a call from him, saying we don't have to worry about money no more. And I said, that's good! One less thing.* * * * ** Forrest Gump
gtmeouttahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 04:34 AM   #28

The I stands for motiviation.* An I gets rewarded/motivated internally instead of needing the approval of others like an absolute E.* The question is who wants to admit that no matter what they do they must have the approval of others to feel good about themselves.

I'm a strong I so I can say I don't care if my boss, his boss, etc. think I'm a loser.* I know what I'm doing is right.* An E would want feedback and reinforcement frequently.

It's not wrong to need reinforcement but doesn't it sound better to say you don't need it?* Although, even as a strong I I do like the occasional guidance from someone I respect.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:58 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Hmmm

I've always considered myself a BS'er par excelance and have trouble keeping a straight face when I'm really on a roll BUT:

My very first Myers- Biggs was given to our team(temp job 1995) by a really hot blond Phd from Tulane and they singled out me and Hugh for examples - the only INTJ's out of 11 en-ga-neers. Interview question - what woud you do with 15 mil $ - answer - don't be silly invest in a diversified portfolio and keep doing what I'm doing now.

Interestingly - me and Hugh were from the same eng. dept, same tech area,* both avid Star Trek fans. Of course I'm not an Arapahoe Indian(full blooded) nor do I collect old computers as a hobby - gave him my old TRS 80. Did both drink the same brand of beer though - Miller Geniune Draft in those days.

You know it's serious stuff when the company springs for cash to pay for a young - she was a 40ish blond sweetie to analyze us - so we would be a really cool working team.

And now - it's time for a second cup of coffee, then best and final 2006 Turbo Tax and mail off my frigging estimated tax payment before midnight.

heh heh heh heh - oh yeah this is all serious.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:02 AM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Sh!t. I forgot about the estimated tax payment.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 08:04 AM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgeeeee
But clinical psychologists disagree with you -- not about the fun part. I have never seen a paper addressing the view of professionals on the fun aspect of the test.
That seems like a stretch. Is this based on the sample of posters at ER boards who have bothered to post on the subject? Has anyone really collected any valid data on whether people who test introvert on the test think they are introverts? Although would you really expect people to post, "I tested I and I don't believe I'm an introvert"? Then there is the problem that the I (introvert) rating of the test is not supposed to correlate to what is normally referred to as introvert behavior. So even if someone did test I and not believe they were an introvert, they might simply have read a detailed article about the test and discovered that, in fact, the test rank of I does not imply that they are a social introvert.

But, the fun thing does trump reason here. As the sole cult follower of *****, JWR, would say, "Have fun."
You could be right. I haven't read anything on Myer Briggs validity and reliability for years. Fun, but useless, still rules.

Old 04-17-2006, 08:25 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Sh!t.* I forgot about the estimated tax payment.*
Martha! NO WAY! - you didn't really forget did you?

Audrey

P.S. Looks like the IRS already visited my bank account this morning. The scary magic of EFTPS.
Old 04-17-2006, 08:27 AM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, I really did forget. We just got back to town after being gone nearly a month. I am running around between posts looking for those dang vouchers.

Old 04-17-2006, 08:56 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Something you can download from irs.gov if needed?

Turbotax prints ours out - although since we pay electronically we don't use vouchers.

Audrey
Old 04-17-2006, 09:08 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Heh heh heh heh

I skate a little on Fed - overdeducted on IRA. BUT! - the frigging state website is jammed and I need to print their ES form.

fun fun fun.

Oh well - got till midnight - I think(a little INTJ humor).
Old 04-17-2006, 09:53 AM   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Well I found the vouchers and Greg wrote the checks. Thank you, thank you, for reminding me. I would have totally missed sending them in and not thought about it until next quarter.

I am going to have to learn to live without a secretary.

Old 04-17-2006, 10:18 AM   #37

This might sound strange but when I absolutley HAVE to remember to do or send something I use one of those E-card services that lets you set the date for the future. I send my self a card as a reminder, it's saved my butt a few times.

Dogs aren't our whole lives, but they make our lives whole. - Roger Caras
Outtahere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 10:25 AM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Yes, I really did forget.
Quote:
I am going to have to learn to live without a secretary.
Does Greg share in the culpable negligence?

I may be "in charge" of things like tax returns & payments, but my spouse has a very important nagging responsibility. I may not always like it but she never abuses or neglects her super-nagging powers...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 10:37 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

Yep

Got mine filled out and in the mail box. The contractors are here to work on the floor, BS'd with the water meter guy. the dogs are outside. Waiting for the sun to break though(supposed to be sunny and 80 today) so's I can go outside and putz with yard/landscaping and do my INTJ thingy.

heh heh heh
Old 04-17-2006, 10:47 AM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords
Does Greg share in the culpable negligence?

I may be "in charge" of things like tax returns & payments, but my spouse has a very important nagging responsibility. I may not always like it but she never abuses or neglects her super-nagging powers...

We both blew it. We wrote no dates for anything on the calendar this year. We just finished filing in the dates for things like property taxes, etc. Right now Greg is chasing down Walter, the mailman, with the estimated tax payments.

Forgot birthdays too.