Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

I wonder what % of FIREs are Introverts?
Old 04-15-2006, 06:46 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

I wonder what % of FIREs are Introverts?

I saw the topic about isolation.

As most of you know, introverts are those who gain more peace from being alone more than most of the population. They need time to think, reflect. Studies have shown introverts have more active frontal lobes (!). It is thought that about 25% of the population are introverted to some degree.

I wonder if the percent is larger among those of us who wish to retire early? My presumption is that the more extroverted "get more" out of working than the introverted...
Surfdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: I wonder what % of FIREs are Introverts?
Old 04-15-2006, 06:57 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

It's a pretty questionable study, but there are a lot of posters who believe they are INTJ personality types and who believe this bunk:

http://www.retireearlyhomepage.com/mbti.html

sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 07:11 PM   #3

A good example of inflation. The test now costs .99 to take.
KB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 08:29 PM   #4
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Those %$@#$ers...

Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 08:55 PM   #5
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgeeeee
It's a pretty questionable study, but there are a lot of posters who believe they are INTJ personality types and who believe this bunk:

http://www.retireearlyhomepage.com/mbti.html

I am an extroverted ENFP. Don't really like the whole corporate thing or routine, so retiring very early.
newyorklady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 09:09 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

All the introverts are too introverted to reply to the thread.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 04-15-2006, 09:46 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
All the introverts are too introverted to reply to the thread.
That's not true
Old 04-16-2006, 03:11 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

ooooooooooops introverts...sorry i thought it said perverts...
wrong goup for me here ha ha ha
mathjak107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 06:51 AM   #9
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arif
That's not true
Shhh...they'll see you!
Old 04-16-2006, 06:59 AM   #10

In past lives, I was subjected to numerous tests to determine my personality type, motivation and work style.* I remember one at a very, very large oil company where the psychologist came and talked to me for an hour after the test.* I thought that was strange that so much time would be spent with everyone that took the test to review the results with them.* It turned out I was the only one he talked with.* I never did figure out why he came and talked with me.* My Myers-Briggs was off the scale INTJ.* In Kingdomality, I was solidly "Merchant" when the entire rest of my company's senior management were "Prime Ministers."* No wonder I never seemed to get along with them.

Basically, I think all of them are hyped. But, someone with my personality type would say that.

Old 04-16-2006, 07:59 AM   #11

... I tested INTJ .... maybe another poll and a link to the test is in order ....
Old 04-16-2006, 08:01 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Last poll on the issue, with links to the test, seems to be here: http://early-retirement.org/forums/i...p?topic=4210.0

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 08:22 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Crap

Just been informed - I have to dress up to go visit - inorder to get my 'free' Easter dinner. INTJ - ?Jimmy Buffet shirt and cargo pants?

heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh heh - Hey! - expected over 70 here again.
unclemick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 09:27 AM   #14
Dryer sheet wannabe

free on line test:
http://www.humanmetrics.com/cgi-win/JTypes2.asp
chip2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 12:18 PM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

Sorry, as the original poster I should have done some searching. Apparently what I thought of as a unique and innovative theory is already well covered!

Still, the links above indicate my theory largely correct - that ERs are more likely to be introverted! As an INTJ myself, I fit the mold.

I appreciate the feedback!
Surfdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 12:57 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfdaddy
. . .Still, the links above indicate my theory largely correct - that ERs are more likely to be introverted! . . .
Well . . . you might want to look more closely at the data and the conclusions. First, the Meyers-Briggs test is of questionable validity. The theory that all personalities can be captured by four independent variables is without any proof or justification. That these four characteristics are independent is similarly unvalidated. Whether or not the test(s) actually measure these four characteristics accurately is without proof. The validity of the results are even more questionable when not administered by a professional. I don't recall the exact numbers now, but test validity is only about 60% when self-administered. Another interesting point is that the introvert-extrovert continuum of the test does not correspond to the definition of those terms as they are commonly used in the english language.

Next, there's the minimal data that was collected for intercst's study. It is not representative of the overall population. It is not statistically weighted in an attempt to normalize the tiny sample to the actual population. It was collected on a completely anonymous volunteer basis -- not a good way to assure accuracy or randomness.

This subject comes up fairly regularly and usually ends up with a bunch of people posting their Meyers-Briggs INTJ label and confirming that they are early retired or on the road to that. It seems to make a lot of them feel good about themselves and their retirement choices. I guess that's a good thing.

sgeeeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 03:50 PM   #17

I'm not an INTJ
Cool Dood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 03:54 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgeeeee
Well . . . you might want to look more closely at the data and the conclusions. First, the Meyers-Briggs test is of questionable validity. The theory that all personalities can be captured by four independent variables is without any proof or justification. That these four characteristics are independent is similarly unvalidated. Whether or not the test(s) actually measure these four characteristics accurately is without proof. The validity of the results are even more questionable when not administered by a professional. I don't recall the exact numbers now, but test validity is only about 60% when self-administered. Another interesting point is that the introvert-extrovert continuum of the test does not correspond to the definition of those terms as they are commonly used in the english language.

Next, there's the minimal data that was collected for intercst's study. It is not representative of the overall population. It is not statistically weighted in an attempt to normalize the tiny sample to the actual population. It was collected on a completely anonymous volunteer basis -- not a good way to assure accuracy or randomness.

This subject comes up fairly regularly and usually ends up with a bunch of people posting their Meyers-Briggs INTJ label and confirming that they are early retired or on the road to that. It seems to make a lot of them feel good about themselves and their retirement choices. I guess that's a good thing.

You're just mad because you're not a cool INTJ...
Old 04-16-2006, 04:00 PM   #19

I agree with sgeee that the Myers Briggs isn't the world's most respectable/respected test, although the lay public loves it. I think it's scary that so many businesses use it for personnel purposes.

But there's no question that I'm introverted. The INTJ profile that I tested with does seem to fit, but in some ways I hate being categorized as a type. But the introversion trait is definitely there. Not shy---can talk to people. But being with people is very draining for me. Staff meetings and social functions are the aboslute worst. Don't want to work as part of a team.

It's not work that I object to (will sit and work at my computer for hours during ER writing books that earn little money); it's the stress from dealing with people. Extroverts on the other hand, should thrive on the social interaction and may not want to quit work and lose this....
Old 04-16-2006, 04:58 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

I think the personality test thing is kind of fun and probably accurate. It does seem as if people who test as introverts think they are introverts.

The problem is that such a test likely has no predictive power--it cannot tell how any individual might behave. So the test can be taken for fun, but employers shouldn't use it as a screening tool.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote