Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-14-2017, 12:36 PM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Lots of good ideas guys, thanks. I think we'll start to explore that Eastern TN/Western NC area a little more on some coming weekends to see if we can find a town big enough to provide some activity, but close enough to the mountains/a lake that we can hike/get on the lake as often as we'd like. I don't really like the idea of being 2-3 hours away.
brokrken is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2017, 12:57 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

When living in the Capitol of the South (Atlanta), I traveled to virtually every community south of Washington, DC. Virtually every large city in the South, but Memphis, has a really nice lake within commuting distance. Take a pick.

If you're looking for a combination of lakes and a high quality society mixed in with culture and decent medical care, they're out there. But some cities come with a relatively high price.

My favorite lakes are on the Tennessee River--650 miles of navigable water and the best crusing lakes in the U.S. I especially like TVA lakes because there's no 100 yard easement around the lake like Army Corp of Engineer lakes. Another issue with the mountain lakes is they go up and down dramatically in the winter--10, 20 100 feet variation in some places.

Our house has a 6 mile open water view to the sunset. A double boathouse is 27 steps from our front door, and the average homes in our neighborhood is about 5500 square feet. Our water only varies 3 feet per year, and all docks are fixed (non floating.) 2 eighteen hole Robert Trent Jones golf courses are on our street. We're in a community of 140,000 residents and restaurants and malls are about 10 miles away. With 14,000 college students, culture abounds and we have a great theatre scene. We're 2 hours from 3 cities of a million people--just far enough away.

The whole length of the Tennessee River from Paducah to Paris, TN to Pickwick to Decatur to Huntsville to Guntersville to Chattanooga to Loudon to Knoxville are great places to live on the water.,

I also like the Arkansas mountain lakes like Greers Ferry (Heber Springs), Norfolk (Mountain Home) and Bull Shoals lakes. Northwest South Carolina has a couple of huge lakes around Clemson, SC--and a great society too. Northeast Georgia has Lake Lanier on the edge of Atlanta, Chatuge Lake (Hiawassee). Lake Burton is the playground of the rich with the biggest homes I've ever seen.

You've just got to get out there and see what's available.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 01:11 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro View Post
I don;t mean to be argumentative, but I have a cabin right off the BlueRidge Parkway and it takes me 2:15 to get there from Raleigh
OK, I'll yield to current local knowledge over how it was when I was there. I think 421 was a 2 lane road back then.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 03:49 PM   #24
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by brokrken View Post
OK, I need the collective brains and experience of the group to help me and DW figure out where to move after ER. We aren't planning on ER for another 7-8 years, but if we found a place now, it would be nice to go ahead and buy, start to travel there and get to know the people and the area. We are currently in a fairly high COL area, especially housing and taxes. Once DD graduates HS, we have made the decision that we are leaving the city and downsizing. I've always loved the mountains, hiking and the outdoors. My wife enjoys the lake for swimming and I for fishing, so a mountain lake somewhere could work. However, neither of us want to be in the middle of nowhere away from civilization. And, we don't have to be on a lake, we are not big into watersports and the like. So, really a nice decent sized town/city that is near the mountains/lake might be ideal. Our initial thought has been North Carolina, although we haven't zeroed in a city. We are open to other places, although, East/Southeast is preferable considering our family ties there.

I know that was quite a rambling post, but any help with some ideas is appreciated.
I think Austria has everything you need ;-)

Mountains, lakes and the best skiing in the world. What's not to like?
Cap_Scarlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 04:02 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro View Post
I think you are on the right track with North Carolina. Raleigh/Durham or Charlotte are near lakes and <2h away from beach and mountains. COL is reasonable.
That said, for me, Seattle still ( and probably always will) takes the cake
+1
kimcdougc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 05:45 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliKid View Post
Looks good. Does one end up shopping (and fine dining) in Scottsdale? Looks like a nice spot.
Scottsdale is an easy 30-40 minute drive from Anthem and is probably the best place for shopping and fine dining nearby. Anthem is a great spot. Easy to get away if you like to travel. And great weather except for the real hot days.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 11:19 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap_Scarlet View Post
I think Austria has everything you need ;-)

Mountains, lakes and the best skiing in the world. What's not to like?
This is a great idea. However, when we RE our only child will be in college and we'd like to be close. Also, we will have older parents then, as well that we need to be around for.

We'll certainly travel to Europe often, though, as we do now!
Old 08-15-2017, 11:45 AM   #28
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Establish legal residency in a no income tax/low property tax state like South Dakota and the physically live where ever you want.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 12:25 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spock View Post
Establish legal residency in a no income tax/low property tax state like South Dakota and the physically live where ever you want.
And how do you propose I do that without living there?
Old 08-15-2017, 01:46 PM   #30

Quote:
And how do you propose I do that without living there?
If I post an external link my posts go to moderator jail.
google "south dakota residency faq"
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 01:57 PM   #31
Gone but not forgotten

With a timeline that stretches into years, I would suggest drawing up a list of those locales that will be under consideration.

Then:
Go to this site, and spend a few minutes finding out what kind of information will be important to you. The statistics will help focus on the good and bad ... not just a pretty place, or congenial weather, but dozens and dozens of factors that will be part of your life after you have moved. Start with where you live today, to use it as a base.

City-Data.com - Stats about all US cities - real estate, relocation info, crime, house prices, cost of living, races, home value estimator, recent sales, income, photos, schools, maps, weather, neighborhoods, and more

Population, income, home values, taxes, and dozens of specific details that will allow you to place yourself in a comfortable retirement locale.

Just a "fer instance"
my town
family income $55K
home value $127K

San Francisco
family income 92K
home value $941

There are approximately 100 other statistics for each town... weather, schools, as well as delineation of neighborhoods within zip codes or townships, and detailed maps, for taxes. Also, major businesses, banks, crime rates, employers, restaurants, major attractions and photos, etc.

We all have our preferences, but some up-front homework on the locations under consideration can save some time and travel in the long run.
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 06:02 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
OK, I'll yield to current local knowledge over how it was when I was there. I think 421 was a 2 lane road back then.
Yes, it was - I spent many hours making 10mph behind tractors and other farm equipment on those 2 lane sections

Alas, it's 4 lanes (no tractors!) all the way from Winston Salem to Boone now
euro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 06:14 AM   #33
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Badger View Post
The Lake Norman area (20 minutes north of Charlotte) is about 90 minutes to the Blue Ridge mountains (there's smaller ones closer in) and 3.5 hours to SC beaches (NC ones - a little further). We moved to the Lake Norman area a dozen years ago and love the area and all that it offers.

Hendersonville (and similar towns) near Asheville are just as grand, but without the "funkyness." Eastern TN, just as good and might bless you with lower taxes.
Agree! My hometown is Mooresville "The Port City of Lake Norman" and I do like the area. The traffic there has become a bit problematic though.
davismills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 09:31 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by davismills View Post
Agree! My hometown is Mooresville "The Port City of Lake Norman" and I do like the area. The traffic there has become a bit problematic though.
More than a bit.

Last time I spent the night in Charlotte (had to be at airport @0430), southbound I-77 was stop-n-go well north of Mooresville.

Took another hour to go around it (east to Lincolnton, then south until we hit the beltway)
ncbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 10:15 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
With a timeline that stretches into years, I would suggest drawing up a list of those locales that will be under consideration.
Thanks, imoldernu. I always find your posts helpful ,regardless of topic. Much appreciated.
Old 08-16-2017, 05:13 PM   #36
Recycles dryer sheets

These man-made lakes near Raleigh aren't that great for swimming, imo. And the largest nearby lakes do not allow homes on them. Lake Lure near Asheville or Smith Mountain Lake in Virginia near Roanoke would be good options. I love Asheville, but it has gotten so trendy and expensive that I am no longer considering for my retirement. Roanoke might be the next Asheville and easier to get in on now.
DireWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 10:34 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
OK, I need the collective brains and experience of the group to help me and DW figure out where to move after ER. We aren't planning on ER for another 7-8 years, but if we found a place now, it would be nice to go ahead and buy, start to travel there and get to know the people and the area. We are currently in a fairly high COL area, especially housing and taxes. Once DD graduates HS, we have made the decision that we are leaving the city and downsizing. I've always loved the mountains, hiking and the outdoors. My wife enjoys the lake for swimming and I for fishing, so a mountain lake somewhere could work. However, neither of us want to be in the middle of nowhere away from civilization. And, we don't have to be on a lake, we are not big into watersports and the like. So, really a nice decent sized town/city that is near the mountains/lake might be ideal. Our initial thought has been North Carolina, although we haven't zeroed in a city. We are open to other places, although, East/Southeast is preferable considering our family ties there.

I know that was quite a rambling post, but any help with some ideas is appreciated.
We took 12 trips to our proposed new retirement area before finally deciding to move there. We bought early but considered it an investment with benefits - we could have sold it at a profit but we eventually chose to move in. My suggestion would be to narrow your choices and then spend lots of time in the area(s) to see if it will work for you. I don't recommend buying early like we did. I suggest renting first to give yourself an out. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 03:55 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash031 View Post
An aside, I wouldn't lock myself into the idea of buying now. For one thing, markets across the country are generally elevated. Given your time frame, if you've got cash on hand you might do well to sit for a few years and see what happens, then strike when the market is right. Rather than paying down the mortgage, save the money in a preservation/inflation-protection type vehicle, and make a larger down payment or pay cash on a better value property in a few years. Just a thought.
One theory. The other being that the housing market may continue to escalate during that time and raise prices 50% or more, as millennials continue to enter the market. Kind of like market timing for stocks....

If you found the right house now, it would make a nice vacation home or possible rental during the time waiting to FIRE. Also much easier to qualify for a mortgage while working, and you can also relocate when it's time without pressure or making a "double move".
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 04:05 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
And great weather except for the real hot days.
As in a couple of days a year, or 200 days a year? No sarcasm, just curious.
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 04:58 AM   #40
Recycles dryer sheets

Upstate SC is a very nice area, and Greenville is a great small city. I lived there for 16 years. It has many of the items that the OP was looking for. However, if you are not collecting SS, the state tax rate on pensions, dividend income, IRA/401K withdrawals and Roth conversions is 7%. Something to consider.
nubill is offline   Reply With Quote