Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-10-2009, 05:08 PM   #61
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbcal View Post
I agree but my wife doesn't. She has to go out at least once a week to feel like she's getting away from cooking. Can't imagine why as I really like her food .
Maybe it's time for you to learn to cook. I did and it has been fun.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2009, 06:22 PM   #62
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
That's what she's suggested. But then there is the car upkeep, finances, gardening, etc. We try to keep it equal but I have to stick up for my side as she is happy to relinquish tasks -- can't imagine why .

Old 08-10-2009, 06:40 PM   #63
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I agree but my wife doesn't. She has to go out at least once a week to feel like she's getting away from cooking. Can't imagine why as I really like her food .
I like to go on strike periodically and have dh2b "cook". That means takeout on his way home from w*rk.
Try "cooking" that way.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:01 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Well, lsbcal, apparently you do not like cooking. Neither do some women. I never hated cooking. I just did not think about it, nor had the need to. One day, browsing through a magazine, I ran across a dish that I had while on our honeymoon many years earlier. I told myself that I could follow the instruction and do it. And I did. Then I served it on occasions to family and friends. And they loved it. The compliments got me hooked.

Now in my house, I sometimes have to fight with my wife for my turns in the kitchen. Perhaps she doesn't like my cooking. Or she feels that I am infringing on her turf. But my kids, extended family, and my guests like my food. And I do too, most of the time.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:21 PM   #65
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Well, lsbcal, apparently you do not like cooking. Neither do some women. I never hated cooking. I just did not think about it, nor had the need to. ...(snip)...
I don't want anyone to think I'm a complete male chauvinist, not that you're thinking that ... In my defense I do the Bar-B-Q thing once in awhile. And when we get pizza, I'm the one who goes out and gets it -- bet you are all impressed by that . Also I make my own breakfast and lunch. Also really do a lot of things around the house.

I have thought about making a few dishes that are my specialties. But seems like things get in the way and I never quite get to it. Tomorrow my wife is going to visit a friend out of town and I have to fend for myself. Will have to make the spaghetti she left me and find something else for the next night.

Oh and I forgot, I'll have to make the dog his meals .
Old 08-10-2009, 07:55 PM   #66
Give me a forum ...

I really think my wife feels threatened by my cooking. In a way, it reduces my reliance on her. Imagine if your wife suddenly learns that she can change the engine oil, pull the spark plugs, or do whatever you have been proud of doing.

First, you say "Great, I can have some rest". Then, you will soon find yourself standing over her shoulder asking "Are you sure that spark plug gap shouldn't be 0.032 instead of 0.030?" And she said "Butt off, you didn't even buy one of the right heat range last time". That gets you shaking at the knees, no?

Yeah, I can show my wife that I can fend for myself, in the kitchen and in the grocery stores. She's really worried now...
Old 08-10-2009, 08:44 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

[quote=lsbcal;843899]... In my defense I do the Bar-B-Q thing once in awhile. /quote]

Is that when the wife decides what will be cooked , marinates the meat , make the side dishes and asks you to flip it on the grill and you get to claim you cooked ?
Old 08-10-2009, 08:45 PM   #68
Moderator Emeritus

I would not send the steak back if it was slightly overcooked or undercooked (unless it's still mooing). My MIL sends back food all the time though, I find it truly embarrassing.

By the way, in France, chefs are often revered and considered true artists. If you dine in a fine restaurant, sending food back to the kitchen would be worse than spitting in the chef's face. To truly enjoy the experience, you have to accept the fact that you are merely a pupil getting educated by a culinary master. HE knows how to cook meat properly and YOU have to learn how to eat it the way it should be eaten. That's how passionate people are about food there. And no, in a French restaurant, the customer is not always right...
Old 08-10-2009, 08:48 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I really think my wife feels threatened by my cooking. In a way, it reduces my reliance on her. Imagine if your wife suddenly learns that she can change the engine oil, pull the spark plugs, or do whatever you have been proud of doing.

First, you say "Great, I can have some rest". Then, you will soon find yourself standing over her shoulder asking "Are you sure that spark plug gap shouldn't be 0.032 instead of 0.030?" And she said "Butt off, you didn't even buy one of the right heat range last time". That gets you shaking at the knees, no?

Yeah, I can show my wife that I can fend for myself, in the kitchen and in the grocery stores. She's really worried now...
Hmmm....worried like a fox? Has your DW exhibited any real threatened behavior patterns. Or is it just clever camouflage? I'm assuming you have not presented your cooking skills in a challenging way. Then again, I might be just the suspicious sort .
Old 08-10-2009, 10:52 PM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Hmmm....worried like a fox? ... I might be just the suspicious sort .
Maybe!

But then if I can make the dish I want to try and she doesn't know how, I don't consider that I have lost.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:01 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I'm still trying to convince DH.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:55 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
...By the way, in France, chefs are often revered and considered true artists. ...That's how passionate people are about food there. And no, in a French restaurant, the customer is not always right...
The Italians are also very serious about their food.

There are "real" restaurants in the US where the chefs take their craft seriously. Not all of them are expensive, particularly the ones by younger chefs who have not been well established. We do not eat out much when we are home, but when travelling have been fortunate to stumble on a few restaurants where there were chefs, not cooks, working in the kitchen.

Michael Ruhlman in one of his books (The Soul of a Chef?) called steak houses "heat and serve" places. Think about it, this is all very true. So, the cook, not chef, should be able to prepare the meat to the degree of doneness as ordered. What else is there? Still, I would not send a steak back if it's just slightly off. It's not that big a deal.
Old 08-11-2009, 06:35 AM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

You should have seen dh2b when I installed the carburetor rebuild kit on the snowblower, without removing the carburetor linkages completely off the machine. That really blew his mind.
Or the time the generator wouldn't start. He was ready to do a complete teardown. I mentally went through the small engine troubleshooting sequence - check ignition, carburetion, compression, and power (stroke) systems. Spark was excellent, gas was flowing but we figured out it was old enough gas to warrant an empty and refill. One pull wonder!
Granted I have the advantage of being taught small engine repair by a master mechanic, but I am very careful not to gloat. Honest!