If you were to buy a kayak, as a semi-novice, what would you buy?

That's one of the main reasons I am leaning towards a tandem. I can't overdo it with my arms due to a history of multiple surgeries. We've rented here at least 4 times and although I liked the independence of my own kayak (as did hubby!) my arms were not happy paddling over longer open water, especially when it was windy. So hubby may be stuck with me...lol. Oh well, we've made it 27 years so far so I guess he knows what he is in for. :D

I've done both single and tandem, as well as SOT vs. sit ins. I would definitely recommend against a tandem, they just aren't that fun, and the one doing all the paddling gets worn out. Take a serious look at the pedal kayaks. I've never used one, but when I go fishing (in a power boat) there's a guy out there with a pedal fishing kayak. He really can go! Also it leaves his hands free for fishing, and he doesn't get his paddles tangled in his poles and gear. My next kayak I'll probably go that way.

As far as SOT vs. sit in, the SOTs are lighter and easier to handle. And since every rental place I've ever seen in SWFL rents SOTs, I don't think the gator/shark issue is really a problem. Just don't dangle your feet over the side like I do.

As far as SOT vs. sit in, the SOTs are lighter and easier to handle. And since every rental place I've ever seen in SWFL rents SOTs, I don't think the gator/shark issue is really a problem. Just don't dangle your feet over the side like I do.

Actually, that can go either way. My sit-inside weighs only a little over 50 lbs.. I've used some SOTs that weighed far more than that.

We live in the Bradenton, Fl area and there are always numerous kayaks for sale on Next-door, some look like they were hardly used. Great deals also.
We got hooked on kayaking after we went to Crystal River (Three Sisters Lagoon) and had about 100 manatees floating below and beside us. It was incredible.
View attachment 28833

WOW! What a photo! I definitely want to experience that!

I've done both single and tandem, as well as SOT vs. sit ins. I would definitely recommend against a tandem, they just aren't that fun, and the one doing all the paddling gets worn out. Take a serious look at the pedal kayaks. I've never used one, but when I go fishing (in a power boat) there's a guy out there with a pedal fishing kayak. He really can go! Also it leaves his hands free for fishing, and he doesn't get his paddles tangled in his poles and gear. My next kayak I'll probably go that way.

I will give them serious consideration. I saw someone on one of those fishing. It looked like so much fun! My husband loves to bike and as soon as he saw the pedal type he was quite enamored. I will have to research to see if I can find one that isn't too difficult to transport and store.

:eek::eek::eek:

Back
Top Bottom