Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-25-2018, 08:57 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

If transporting and storing is a concern, check out the folding sit-atops that are available. Iíve seen one that folds in half across the middle so it fits in the trunk. You can also get paddles that come apart for transport.

If mobility, lower body strength, or balance is an issue I recommend sit-atop kayaks. It is easier to get on/off a sit-atop than to get in/out of a sit-in kayak.

One doesnít have to spend a lot of money on a kayak to enjoy occasional outings on flat water. We bought our lake kayaks at Costco, under $200 each for a package deal with the paddle. Add a pfd and we were set to go. Since our lake paddles are usually less than two hours at a time a few times a month, the cheap recreation boats fit the bill.

Longer boats track (go straight) better than short, but are harder to transport and store.

Someone mentioned splurging on a paddle; Iíll add that you should splurge on your pfd. Find one that is meant for paddlers (more shoulder mobility) and can be adjusted to fit you like a glove. If itís not comfortable you wonít wear it, but you should wear it.

Philliefan33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Aquaglide
Old 06-25-2018, 09:34 AM   #22
Confused about dryer sheets

Aquaglide

We went with the Aquaglide Chelan HB Tandem XL. It is inflatable and rated for 3 people. Very stable, handles well and is fast. You can usually get one for around $1,000. Not cheap but we feel secure in pretty much any kind of water. The huge (obvious) upside is that the boat fits in a large backpack and is super easy to transport. The only downside for me is that you have to be careful that the boat is dry before storage to avoid any mold forming. This can be a PITA but I guess with the transport and storage advantages everything is a tradeoff.

dratcliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 12:06 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlefty View Post
If I was down at our place in Bradenton I'd let you borrow mine. But since I'm not there... go to the Surfer Bus on Manatee Avenue and rent one (you have to pay on-line). he has 13' sit on singles or 15 tandem. Or Kayak Jack in Robinson Preserve. Both places will give you a good experience and help you decide.

I have a 12' and a 13' that I put on the top of my Kia Soul and have no problem getting them up there. (only one at a time) Make sure whatever you buy is in the 50-60 lbs. range.

Lots of fun places to paddle in that area. PM me if you want more suggestions. Enjoy.
Oh how kind of you to say you'd do that!

I just found out from the homeowner that they actually have a kayak for their rental guests but we are free to use it as well, as long as we coordinate with the rental agency. So we don't need to purchase one quickly nor rent (unless it isn't a tandem kayak), but I still want to purchase sometime soon. We really love getting out on the water. I'll PM you about places to paddle!

(50, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 54. I am semi-retired as of 2015 (still have a part-time gig), Mr. Simple Girl hopes to fully retire 2019 (yep, we have the OMY syndrome...healthcare inflation is the culprit...and he wants a boat...not happening)
simple girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 12:18 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbo111 View Post
We have a Malibu Two kayak that is a tandem. DW simply does not have the arm strength to paddle any great distance, so it works out best for our needs.
That's one of the main reasons I am leaning towards a tandem. I can't overdo it with my arms due to a history of multiple surgeries. We've rented here at least 4 times and although I liked the independence of my own kayak (as did hubby!) my arms were not happy paddling over longer open water, especially when it was windy. So hubby may be stuck with me...lol. Oh well, we've made it 27 years so far so I guess he knows what he is in for.

Quote:
I also echo those who recommend that you rent before buying to determine what works best for you. Also rent several times to see if you are really interested in kayaking. There are lots of nice and newer looking kayaks for sale in my area that were probably purchased by someone who fell in love with the concept of kayaking and became bored after doing it a few times.
If you do decide to purchase, I strongly recommend buying the lightest carbon paddle that you can afford. A light weight makes a huge difference in how long you can paddle, especially as you get older.
We've rented multiple times here and also kayaked on multiple trips with the outdoor club in Alabama. I would say we've rented maybe around 15 times. So we have a pretty decent amount of experience with kayaking - enough to know we really enjoy it. I guess I consider myself a semi-novice since I don't know much about the styles/features of the kayaks - I've never researched the options. It seems like all of the kayaks we rented were very similar.

(50, married; Mr. Simple Girl, 54. I am semi-retired as of 2015 (still have a part-time gig), Mr. Simple Girl hopes to fully retire 2019 (yep, we have the OMY syndrome...healthcare inflation is the culprit...and he wants a boat...not happening)
Old 06-25-2018, 02:09 PM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

We live in the Bradenton, Fl area and there are always numerous kayaks for sale on Next-door, some look like they were hardly used. Great deals also.
We got hooked on kayaking after we went to Crystal River (Three Sisters Lagoon) and had about 100 manatees floating below and beside us. It was incredible.
manatee.jpg
cbo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 02:28 PM   #26
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple girl View Post
That's one of the main reasons I am leaning towards a tandem. I can't overdo it with my arms due to a history of multiple surgeries. We've rented here at least 4 times and although I liked the independence of my own kayak (as did hubby!) my arms were not happy paddling over longer open water, especially when it was windy. So hubby may be stuck with me...lol. Oh well, we've made it 27 years so far so I guess he knows what he is in for.
I've done both single and tandem, as well as SOT vs. sit ins. I would definitely recommend against a tandem, they just aren't that fun, and the one doing all the paddling gets worn out. Take a serious look at the pedal kayaks. I've never used one, but when I go fishing (in a power boat) there's a guy out there with a pedal fishing kayak. He really can go! Also it leaves his hands free for fishing, and he doesn't get his paddles tangled in his poles and gear. My next kayak I'll probably go that way.

As far as SOT vs. sit in, the SOTs are lighter and easier to handle. And since every rental place I've ever seen in SWFL rents SOTs, I don't think the gator/shark issue is really a problem. Just don't dangle your feet over the side like I do.
Old 06-25-2018, 02:43 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post

As far as SOT vs. sit in, the SOTs are lighter and easier to handle. And since every rental place I've ever seen in SWFL rents SOTs, I don't think the gator/shark issue is really a problem. Just don't dangle your feet over the side like I do.

Actually, that can go either way. My sit-inside weighs only a little over 50 lbs.. I've used some SOTs that weighed far more than that.
RAE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 06:46 PM   #28

Quote:
We live in the Bradenton, Fl area and there are always numerous kayaks for sale on Next-door, some look like they were hardly used. Great deals also.
We got hooked on kayaking after we went to Crystal River (Three Sisters Lagoon) and had about 100 manatees floating below and beside us. It was incredible.
Attachment 28833
WOW! What a photo! I definitely want to experience that!

Old 06-25-2018, 06:52 PM   #29

Quote:
I've done both single and tandem, as well as SOT vs. sit ins. I would definitely recommend against a tandem, they just aren't that fun, and the one doing all the paddling gets worn out. Take a serious look at the pedal kayaks. I've never used one, but when I go fishing (in a power boat) there's a guy out there with a pedal fishing kayak. He really can go! Also it leaves his hands free for fishing, and he doesn't get his paddles tangled in his poles and gear. My next kayak I'll probably go that way.
I will give them serious consideration. I saw someone on one of those fishing. It looked like so much fun! My husband loves to bike and as soon as he saw the pedal type he was quite enamored. I will have to research to see if I can find one that isn't too difficult to transport and store.

Quote: