Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-08-2013, 10:27 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome back Rich

I chose #3, for the following reasons:

1) it seems to be a place you love or at least enjoy
2) On top of high real estate and cost of living in SF/CA, you also have high taxes, YMMV...it's killing me this year...my first in retirement...due to some residual income.
3) kids move. My sis has been after my folks to move closer to her for the past 12 years. Problem is, she moves across the country every 3 years or so...are you prepared to move again (and again, and again) as their work/life situations change? From our experience, it's better to choose where you want to live and then visit the kids/have them visit you. If you choose a place close to them because you like it, it will be convenient for both you and them, until things change. But if things do change, you'll be where you want to be, not just following the kids.

Again, good to see you back, hoping you are doing well.

R

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2013, 10:28 PM   #22

Good to see your posts again Rich.
Let's see, we are currently residing in Missouri and often yearning for the Tampa area--tough decision I bet.
My guess is Tampa.

Old 02-08-2013, 10:28 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

What? Dallas was not one of your choices?

Hmmm...since your username is still Rich_in_Tampa, my guess is y'all picked option number 3.

I'm sorry to hear about your ailments...my papa always told me three drops of kerosene mixed with a teaspoon of sugar would cure anything.

So nice to hear from you darlin'.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:35 PM   #24
Give me a forum ...

It's good to have you back, Rich_in_Tampa. Condolences on the health problems. I hope they are not causing you too much grief.

I vote for Tampa!
Old 02-08-2013, 10:43 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Hey, Rich, great to see you pop in again. Very sorry to hear of your health challenges and wishing you the best.

I'm voting for 2. We've lived in Tampa, it's just too hot 6 months of the year for us. And it's more crowded than it was a few years ago.
The occasional bit of "cool" weather shouldn't bother a guy raised in Wisconsin!

Again, welcome back.
Old 02-08-2013, 10:53 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Welcome back, Rich! Sorry to hear that you are still having some health issues, and most definitely hope for the best.

Hmm... As someone who planned to move after retirement, and then discovered how easy it was to just stay put, my first thought was that maybe you will stay in Tampa(?). Or not. Missouri and SF are both so attractive, in very different ways.

Maybe you decided to move somewhere entirely different. That's it! Choice #4.
Thanks for the kind words.

RE: choice 4, I never thought of that. NOLA would a good candidate.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:57 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

I was just thinking I hadn't seen a post from you in a while. I'm mostly a lurker here. Great to have you back.

All 3 are great choices. I'm guessing #3 just for the mild winter weather.

Personally MO would be my pick. Much better digs for horseback riders like me.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:18 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
What? Dallas was not one of your choices?

Hmmm...since your username is still Rich_in_Tampa, my guess is y'all picked option number 3.

I'm sorry to hear about your ailments...my papa always told me three drops of kerosene mixed with a teaspoon of sugar would cure anything.

So nice to hear from you darlin'.
Good to be heard from. Sounds like you are in good spirits.

P.S. Your Papa was wrong, bless him. But it might work with a good bourbon.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:48 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

None are my cup of tea and I have no idea what you would like. But, I would pick San Francisco. Combine that with several 2-3 week trips every year to visit the kids in MO. After all we are retired and can travel now.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:03 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Good to be heard from. Sounds like you are in good spirits.

P.S. Your Papa was wrong, bless him. But it might work with a good bourbon.
'Spirits' .... 'Bourbon'... Coincidence? I think not.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:25 AM   #31

Just one (perhaps) practical question, Rich. Which of these localities offers you the best health care for your particular situation? If that doesn't enter into the equation, I too would stay in Tampa and VISIT SF (often!) as well as Columbia.

Best to you. Here's hoping you good mileage.

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 12:40 AM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Great to have you back Rich! Any one of the three choices would be great, just depends on which strong points appeal to you most. I have an inkling it might be Tampa.

Sending good wishes your way!
Old 02-09-2013, 01:11 AM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

I'd go with Columbia, MO. College town, wine ain't too bad a little south of there (St. James-not exactly Napa but still good imho), no earthquakes, and 4 seasons - can't imagine winters are that severe, cheap/moderate cost of living, good fishing and golf. You can always take a few weeks to vacation in Tampa or S.F.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:15 AM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Rich, hi. I hope you will be OK.

I presume you know where you want to live. But if a doctor can't retire in the Bay area, who possibly could?

You could always rent. If somehow it gets too expensive for you, just high tail it back to the Midwest, which should never be too expensive.

One thing that occurs to me- will one of your children feel rejected if you choose to live near the other one?

This even concerns me, although I live 1.5 miles from one son and 4.5 from the other.

Sibling rivalry can go deep.

Ha
Old 02-09-2013, 01:46 AM   #35
Full time employment: Posting here.

I have live in Columbia, MO. I have visited the other two places in the summer. The "sultry ness" of Florida is not really that different from Midwestern summers. Plenty of heat and humidity in Columbia to rival Florida...but other than the daily rainstorms the summers are similar enough to cancel the summer weather out as a factor. I would also take issue with calling Columbia much of a vibrant intellectual community. By comparison to its surrounding it is an oasis of educational diversity in a sea of less educated rural homogeneity, but compared to San Francisco or even to Tampa it is embarrassingly barren. The shopping and food choices are severely limited. the nearest international airport is 120 miles away. Regardless of the university being there, Columbia is quite simply not in the same league as the other two cities (figuratively or literally- no major league sports for over 100 miles). Add in the cold winters, the higher taxes in MO vs FL and good ole inertia....and I would stay in Tampa. But then again as a physician myself I would rather take a part time job taking tickets at Disneyworld than do another minute of medical work when I finally get to hang up my stethoscope...so of course YMMV.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:58 AM   #36

Welcome back, Rich. To answer your question, I would vote for Columbia, MO.
Very conservative with investments. Not ER'd yet, 48 years old. Please do not take anything I write or imply as legal, financial or medical advice directed to you. Contact your own financial advisor, healthcare provider, or attorney for financial, medical and legal advice.
obgyn65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:50 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Welcome back Rich great to have you back. I am partial to San Francisco, although only if they replaced all of the elected officials and half the states residents.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:03 AM   #38

Great to be seeing your posts again Rich! I would have to go with #2. I like the midwest, and prefer small towns over SF and Tampa.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:03 AM   #39

I vote for Tampa (I live in the Tampa area also).

I'm originally from the Seattle area and miss all that it has to offer (like SF), but I can't give up the sunshine. My mother moved here about 2 years ago from Seattle and I know the warmth and sunshine has added years to her life.

I also lived over 15 years in the Midwest and there is no way I would go back to those winters.

Stay in Tampa and travel to meet your other needs!

Hmmm. We haven't heard from you for awhile. Have you been busy moving?
Old 02-09-2013, 06:42 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Sorry about your health problems. Would you like me to write you a prescription for the med's I take? I highly recommend them.

I would stay put. I'm sure your have lot's of friends in sunny Tampa and what's not to like about the beach? Your kids are just a hop and a skip away via air travel.