Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-09-2013, 05:43 AM   #41

I'd go for Tampa. If I had it my way the only snow I'd ever see again would be on TV.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2013, 06:21 AM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koolau View Post
Just one (perhaps) practical question, Rich. Which of these localities offers you the best health care for your particular situation? If that doesn't enter into the equation, I too would stay in Tampa and VISIT SF (often!) as well as Columbia.

Best to you. Here's hoping you good mileage.
Thanks, Koolau, and a good question. I am well-connected medically in Tampa but the SF bay area is inter-galactically recognized for excellent care. Edge: SF.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:23 AM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Welcome back Rich. No preference on location although I was in St Pete's yesterday cruising around the waterfront and eating downtown. Seemed like a nice location. Don't forget to keep us posted whatever you choose.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:35 AM   #44
Full time employment: Posting here.

I obviously haven't posted much over the years, but have been a pretty avid reader of the forum since 2002. It's great to see you posting again Rich. Wish you all the best with regards to your health and happiness.

Although I suspect it's not your choice, I'm going with #1. SF is one of my top 2 cities in the world (the other being Rome) and there is just something energizing about northern California. For me anyway.

Nano
NanoSour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 06:40 AM   #45
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Health issues can throw some water on your FIRE. I was just diagnosed with T1a PC and am on expectant management.

I went to school in the Bay area, and loved it day trips to Napa excellent.

Does the Grateful Dead still have free concerts?

I am in the southern Arizona mountains now love the heat.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:50 AM   #46
Administrator

Welcome back, Rich. My family all live in MO. Unfortunately, the last 30 years of living here in CT have rendered it impossible for me to return there, except on a tourist visa.

I'd choose SF first, but I'm betting you chose Tampa.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:03 AM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Welcome back, sorry to hear about your health problems, but you sound like you're taking it all in stride.

We love SF, but we couldn't afford to live there, and with my luck I'd buy a house directly on a fault line.

We lived in Lakeland FL for 3 years, kept a boat on Tampa Bay, and visited Tampa, Clearwater and Orlando often. The novelty wore off pretty quickly and we wouldn't go back, but we also realize ours is not the majority view. We still have friends in the area who would never leave.

So I have to vote Col MO by default. The Midwest just isn't as exciting as right and left, but the COL is helpful and if you live near a world class city like a Chicago, it ain't half bad. I don't know what Columbia MO has to offer.

Target AA: 50% equity funds / 45% bonds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 1.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:28 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack
... if you live near a world class city like a Chicago, it ain't half bad. I don't know what Columbia MO has to offer.
COLUMBIA IS OVER 400 miles from Chicago. The nearest major airport is 2 hours drive away. I would say Tampa and SF are "almost as close" to Chicago as Columbia. I lived there for four years many years ago, but it has not changed that much from the little bland town it was back then. There are a few more chain restaurants.
No offense, as different folks like different things -but I can't emphasize enough how unimpressed my wife was on our return visits to Columbia over the last few years. She did not live there with me, so she has only seen Columbia as a brief visitor (as St Louisans we occasionally have attended sports tournaments for our kids in Columbia). She is from the northeast and we live a Midwest suburban life in St Louis county, but she would not live in Columbia on a bet...and at this point in my life I would find it sorely lacking as a retiree. But that is based on our interests in various ethnic foods, arts and culture, travel. If fishing, boating on small lakes or rivers, or hunting were our interests then Columbia might be i just fine. While Columbia is a college town, the "culture" interests of the college revolve around collegiate sports, and not the sort of college town feel I have seen in "classic" college towns.
urn2bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:39 AM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by urn2bfree View Post
COLUMBIA IS OVER 400 miles from Chicago. ....
I guarantee Midpack was not saying Columbia is near Chicago! Instead, saying although a Midwest city like Chicago has a lot to offer, he doesn't know what a Midwest city like Columbia might have.

Friends who have retired to college towns have found many more cultural events than the average student is ever aware of (one said of Champaign, he can have a glass of wine at home and be at a concert in ten minutes). Surely true of Columbia, home of the state's flagship public university.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:46 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

No vote for where to go. Good to see you back.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:57 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Thanks, Koolau, and a good question. I am well-connected medically in Tampa but the SF bay area is inter-galactically recognized for excellent care. Edge:
SF
That was comforting to read, I must say!

I am sure you will live long and prosper wherever you chose to retire.
Accidental Retiree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 07:58 AM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
RE: choice 4, I never thought of that. NOLA would a good candidate.
As I sit here in Denver (a toasty 23º outside), listening to WWOZ as Mardi Gras gets underway, they played this and reminded me that NOLA is my favorite city.

RonBoyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:12 AM   #53
Recycles dryer sheets

Hi Rich,

Glad you are back and on the mend!

Grew up in Marin County and lived/worked in SF for years. Too expensive for my taste and in fact we are looking to relocating to Tampa. I'll take sultry over hyper-expensive any day (DW is going to take a bit of convincing though).

Good luck with your decision.
JBmadera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:38 AM   #54

Welcome back RIT! It's so nice to see you here again.

My thoughts are choosing the location that makes you the happiest.
SF sounds real good to me if the high cost of living is workable.

Best wishes on managing your health issues and continuing to enjoy your retirement (or is it semi-retirement if you are doing a bit of work?).
powerplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:49 AM   #55
Gone but not forgotten

Welcome back & sorry about your health problems . Kids move so make the decision on where you would be happy .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:55 AM   #56
Recycles dryer sheets

I grew up in Columbia, MO, and have only visited Tampa and San Fran. Columbia is often on lists of best places to retire. I think it boils down to if you like a big city atmosphere or can be content with a smaller town. I'd also take into consideration if your health issues can be well treated at MU hospital.

Anxious to hear your choice and good to hear from you again.
bhoferp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:58 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I'd go for Tampa. If I had it my way the only snow I'd ever see again would be on TV.
+1

Also, I was just reading this to my DH and I saw that you said they were serious health issues. I am so sorry to hear this and I am glad that you are managing them. By the way, DH voted Tampa also. He said that he is thinking more and more of moving someplace warm (as he looks outside at the fresh snow). News to me, but it sounds good some day.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:24 AM   #58
Recycles dryer sheets

It seems there is only one choice that will allow you to keep you on-line name. We won't know you if you change it and I always look for your posts.

t.r.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:29 AM   #59

I vote for Tampa as well!
I am sorry to hear about your health issues, but I am sure they will be resolved in no time
You could always come to Dirty Jerzey!
citrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 09:32 AM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Good to hear from you RIT. The west coast of FL is one of my favorite vacation spots, but have never lived there, or, for that matter, SF or MO...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote