Join Early Retirement Today

Old 02-09-2013, 10:47 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Welcome back Rich!

Hope you're managing your illness at a level that doesn't crimp your style too awful much.

Regarding the vote: I vote for "The City by the Bay"... The WARM one...Tampa.

I've lived in SF and surrounding Bay Area (~10 yrs), in middle America (St Louis), and in Florida (east coast-Cocoa Beach). As long as I could live on the water in FL (which is still way cheaper than SF), and not too far south, I'd choose it over CA almost every time; the one exception being, perhaps, if I had uuuuuuunlimited gobs of $$$. Then, I'd consider further south on the Cali coast.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2013, 10:53 AM   #62

With sufficient funds to live comfortably, I would choose SF, otherwise Tampa.

My dream forever location would be the Monterey Bay area.

Old 02-09-2013, 11:19 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaresWins View Post
With sufficient funds to live comfortably, I would choose SF, otherwise Tampa.

My dream forever location would be the Monterey Bay area.
Beautiful but, too cold and foggy for me.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:27 AM   #64

Rich, Welcome back and wishing you the best on the health situation.

If I was picking purely from my perspective, I would probably rank them from first to last as follows: Columbia, Tampa, SF.

Looking forward to hearing your decision and rationale.
Old 02-09-2013, 11:38 AM   #65
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Friends who have retired to college towns have found many more cultural events than the average student is ever aware of (one said of Champaign, he can have a glass of wine at home and be at a concert in ten minutes). Surely true of Columbia, home of the state's flagship public university.
This is my main point- not all college towns are alike. I realize I am the main Columbia basher around here, but I find Champaign as a town significantly different from Columbia...Champaign is much more like the sort of college town cultural atmosphere you are assuming might be in Columbia. For one thing the University of Missouri system is fragmented around the state in a way the U of I is not, creating a different confluence of cultures. The proximity of Chicago also gives Champaign the edge over Columbia. (No offense to St Louis, which I love and live in...we are not Chicago)
I have seen those "best places to retire" lists which sometimes include Columbia, MO and they only confirm my suspicion that no list can substitute for your own experience, values and desires.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:12 PM   #66
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Welcome back Rich. You'll choose the right one.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:49 PM   #67
Moderator Emeritus

And the answer is...

San Francisco, California (San Mateo, to be exact)

Amazing how closely the comments paralleled our own thinking on this one. In the end, being near the little grandkids trumped all the other factors (maybe my health issues gave me an attitude adjustment). Add to that the pleasures of the area, a walk-to lifestyle, and the urban nature of this old suburb (close to SF) and that was the decision that worked best for us. Our Tampa house is sold, rental of modest condo is in place, and now it's time to forge ahead.

I'll start a new thread for dealing with the financial impact of our choice. It's daunting interesting.

Thanks for your replies - fascinating.

Rich

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:06 PM   #68
Administrator

Hope you have a wonderful move, and I'm sure you will greatly enjoy exploring your new hometown!!!

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:10 PM   #69
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
And the answer is...

Amazing how closely the comments paralleled our own thinking on this one. In the end, being near the little grandkids trumped all the other factors (maybe my health issues gave me an attitude adjustment). Add to that the pleasures of the area, a walk-to lifestyle, and the urban nature of this old suburb (close to SF) and that was the decision that worked best for us. Our Tampa house is sold, rental of modest condo is in place, and now it's time to forge ahead.

I'll start a new thread for dealing with the financial impact of our choice. It's daunting interesting.

Thanks for your replies - fascinating.

Rich
How exciting! Welcome to San Francisco, Rich.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:11 PM   #70
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Should we expect a name change, something along the lines of "Not_so_Rich_in_San_Mateo"?

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 05:18 PM   #71
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
How exciting! Welcome to San Francisco, Rich.
Where are you in the area? We are very excited but will be needing all kinds of advice, no doubt.

Rich

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:20 PM   #72
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Should we expect a name change, something along the lines of "Not_so_Rich_in_San_Mateo"?

I was thinking maybe just a space character or two to symbolize the new frugality. Like " ".

Old 02-09-2013, 05:20 PM   #73

Sounds very nice. How soon will it be Rich In San Mateo? Grandchildren definitely make other factors less important. They will enrich your life and you will enrich their life. Have fun!
Old 02-09-2013, 05:27 PM   #74
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Weather-wise San Diego would be about perfect all year round vs. SFO fog. We bought for winter use in La Quinta (think Palm Springs), which qualifies for too damn hot during several months of the summer - but it's a short hop by air to SFO, or a 7 1/2 hour drive. Point is, you might be well served a bit out of the city proper..
Old 02-09-2013, 05:50 PM   #75
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
And the answer is...

I can't resist:

Be sure to wear some flowers in your hair .

I agree about the trump card of grandkids!
Old 02-09-2013, 05:55 PM   #76

OK, now I'm jealous. Just kidding Very happy for you Rich. Enjoy the move.

BTW, Nini's Coffee shop is a great little neighbor place for breakfast. Don't miss it, brings you back to days gone by.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:57 PM   #77

Congrats and enjoy one of California's unsung glories- the local farmers' markets! Even if you ever find the summer cool temps too cold, just head inland and you can quickly find the hotter weather you've known in Tampa....
Old 02-09-2013, 06:27 PM   #78

Welcome to the Bay Area!
Old 02-09-2013, 06:30 PM   #79
Administrator

Quote:
Where are you in the area? We are very excited but will be needing all kinds of advice, no doubt.

Rich
All the coolest kids live on the west coast

I can see that the "choose a new handle for Rich" contest is going to be very fun, btw....
Old 02-09-2013, 07:12 PM   #80
Recycles dryer sheets

Rich,

Welcome back. It sounds like your decision to move to SF was carefully considered and is the right one for you and your family.

I'm glad to hear that your health issues are under control. I still remember the kind words you sent when I was being treated for pancreatic cancer six years ago.

I think it was Jimmy Buffett who sang about changes in latitude and changes in attitude. Good luck on the move.

2soon2tell