Join Early Retirement Today

I'm baaaack...
Old 02-08-2013, 07:15 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

I'm baaaack...

I was very touched by numerous forum friends asking about my well-being and it's time to bring you up on my shenanigans.

First of all (and I won't dwell on them here), I have developed several serious health issues, none of which will likely do me in but which certainly are slowing me down a touch. I expect slow progression and have no intention of rolling over but am learning to pace my energetic self. Thanks for all your messages and words of support, my dear friends. It means a lot.

Currently I am doing lots of reading and a bit of writing. Exercising regularly, enjoying this wonderful part of the world, and hanging out with friends of wonderful diversity. I am still practicing telephone medicine for a large national company: do it if I am in the mood, skip it if not; pays little but it gets us an extra dinner out once or twice a month.

The retirement plan is working, an index based mix of stocks, bonds and cash in a "buckets" type plans, 50:50% stocks to bonds. No worries so far.

Many of you know we have been in a quandry regarding relocation to be near one or the other of our kids and grandkids. Now it's time to reveal the plan. Pick one of the below plans and be prepared to defend yourself. Our decision is already made, final. For the 99% of you who don't give a darn, bear with us.

CHOICE 1: Are you kidding? San Francisco with its wine regions, world class food, weird free entertainment, mild climate, on and on. Slam dunk.

Oh yeah - houses of the type we like (modest but well located) are around $1mm and higher. Much higher.

CHOICE 2: Columbia, MO. Middle America where we raised the kids (Wisconsin in our case). Four seasons (i.e. the weather sucks) but lots of lakes, woods. Univ or Missouri right there with classes and all kinds of people around. Lakota Coffee Shop - one of the best. 100,000 population and rising. Modest cost of living, inexpensive houses.

CHOICE 3: Tampa. Beautiful beaches, familiar, lots of friends. Know it like the back of my hand. Sun galore; summers (read June through November) a bit sultry, I admit.

Your answer is...

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2013, 07:20 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post
Your answer is...
The same one you chose, of course.

Great to hear from you! I thought you might have tripped on your stethoscope, suffered a head injury and thought all this was just a dream...
Old 02-08-2013, 07:29 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
The same one you chose, of course.

Great to hear from you! I thought you might have tripped on your stethoscope, suffered a head injury and thought all this was just a dream...
Death by stethoscope. Horrible. Just horrible.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:29 PM   #4
Administrator

Great to hear from you Rich, truly pleased to see this post appear

Our choice would be #3. But whatever decision you have come to is perfect for you.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:30 PM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

San Col-Tampa? San Tamplumbia?
Old 02-08-2013, 07:36 PM   #6
Administrator

And here I figured you were living the "vida loca" on a beach somewhere in Mexico.
MichaelB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:40 PM   #7

I like #2. I enjoy visiting beaches, but not enough to deal with the throngs of people and high prices. OTOH, I quite like having four seasons, and living in a university town. All those intellectuals and students bring a wonderful vibrancy to a community.
Old 02-08-2013, 07:41 PM   #8

Good to hear from you Rich. I've been a little slow on postng myself lately but always keep an eye out for you. I'm voting for staying where you are, not that my vote makes any difference, but you asked. Good luck on what ever you decided to do.
JOHNNIE36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:47 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_in_Tampa View Post

CHOICE 1: Are you kidding? San Francisco with its wine regions, world class food, weird free entertainment, mild climate, on and on. Slam dunk.

Oh yeah - houses of the type we like (modest but well located) are around $1mm and higher. Much higher.

CHOICE 2: Columbia, MO. Middle America where we raised the kids (Wisconsin in our case). Four seasons (i.e. the weather sucks) but lots of lakes, woods. Univ or Missouri right there with classes and all kinds of people around. Lakota Coffee Shop - one of the best. 100,000 population and rising. Modest cost of living, inexpensive houses.

CHOICE 3: Tampa. Beautiful beaches, familiar, lots of friends. Know it like the back of my hand. Sun galore; summers (read June through November) a bit sultry, I admit.

Your answer is...
I guess I'd vote Tampa as it's the devil you know and your kids would enjoy the sunshine on winter visits.

But the other two places are great in very different ways too. Can't wait to hear where you ended up.

PS: welcome back!
Old 02-08-2013, 07:59 PM   #10
Full time employment: Posting here.

Welcome back Rich_in_Tampa. CHOICE 3: is my pick. Glad to know you are still kicking. These health issues seem to come with age. I am working out a few myself. Good luck and Good Health. oldtrig
oldtrig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:19 PM   #11
Full time employment: Posting here.

Welcome back!

Well, I live in the SF Bay Area, so I know about #1, including the insane price of real estate here. Assuming I were retired (which I'm not yet, but this is how I'd think about it)...if I could buy a home here and my retirement funds were still enough for me to enjoy life without having to work, then I'd go for it. If it reduced my funds so much I couldn't enjoy things, or would have to go back to working, then no way. As nice as SF Bay Area is, it doesn't outweigh severely cutting ones lifestyle, or forcing someone to go back to work.

Your other two choices...I don't have much input, other than knowing Tampa would not be a good fit for me personallly. I have relatives in Tampa, and visiting them one August almost killed me. I grew up in the South, and even I can't take that much heat and humidity anymore.

Looking forward to seeing your decision, and if you're moving away from Tampa.
LoneAspen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:20 PM   #12

Best of luck to you,
The choice I would make is #2. Being near a major college town in the Midwest is an excellent experience for a family with all the intellectual impacts they have especially on smaller towns. The savings on living means you'd be able to use your funds to have excellent vacations in both of the other locations.

https://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f44/why-i-believe-we-are-about-to-embark-on-a-historic-bull-market-run-101268.html
Running_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:21 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Great to hear from you Rich, truly pleased to see this post appear

Our choice would be #3. But whatever decision you have come to is perfect for you.
Good to hear from you, Alan. Thanks for the welcome.

Rich

Old 02-08-2013, 08:22 PM   #14
Recycles dryer sheets

Good to see you back Rich. No particular vote here. Wherever you're comfortable and happy.
Best wishes on the improving health issues.

...open up your mind and see like me...
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:57 PM   #15

No idea so no vote from me. But glad to see you back. Always enjoy your posts.
growing_older is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:59 PM   #16
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Welcome back. It is good to see your screen name popping up again. Sounds like you have had some trials but are dealing well with the cards you have been dealt.

I like all of them.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:07 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome back Rich!

Based on your description of the 3 possible destinations, it seems like you can't hide your enthusiasm for the city by the bay. The Tampa Bay that is. So I think you picked #3.
FIREd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:11 PM   #18
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Welcome back, Rich! Sorry to hear that you are still having some health issues, and most definitely hope for the best.

Hmm... As someone who planned to move after retirement, and then discovered how easy it was to just stay put, my first thought was that maybe you will stay in Tampa(?). Or not. Missouri and SF are both so attractive, in very different ways.

Maybe you decided to move somewhere entirely different. That's it! Choice #4.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:16 PM   #19

Good to hear from you Rich. Sorry to hear that you are having the health issues, but glad to hear that they are not serious.

I think that my choice would be #3. There is something to be said for lots of friends, familiarity and beautiful beaches. Sounds like home for you. You can always vacation in the other places. Glad to hear that you have already made the decision. Will be waiting to hear your decision.

Welcome back.
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:20 PM   #20

Welcome back, Rich.

For many facing health issues, staying put to get continuity with medical providers would be important. With M.D. after your name, I'm thinking that's not a top priority.

So, I guess #1 because it's different from the places you have lived before.
Htown Harry is offline   Reply With Quote