Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

I'm FIRE & "and thanks for all the fish."
Old 07-14-2006, 07:19 PM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm FIRE & "and thanks for all the fish."

*”and thanks for all the fish” from the Hitchhiker Guide to the Galaxy – read the book

So this is it. The day is finally here. My last day at work and I will begin my new journey on Monday. This is a journey that started a very long time ago. I knew I wanted to do it ever since I was young. When I was a kid I was the one how went off by himself just to see what was around the corner. I lost the RE focus along the way but now I have found it. When we focus on school and work we tend to lose focus on what is important in life. I think what if important is the same all around the world – family, friends, fun, love, and laughter. I know I don’t have enough of any of those things and have to work on them.

Some religions believe we are living this existence because we have something to learn so that we can go onto the next level. I don’t believe this but I do believe we have things to learn that would make us happy in this world. What we have to learn is different for each of us. Whatever is holding you back from RE (i.e. your fears) may be what you have to learn.

Do I have fears? Yes, but I also appreciate the opportunity I have and it would be wrong not to allow my fears to steal my future happiness. I think that is what others that have retired have mean that after awhile you wonder why you didn’t do it earlier.

Thanks for all the help along the way. It is a difficult journey and I know there are things that can trip me up but I appreciate the life I have and will try to do good with it. I’ll be traveling some but will try to keep in touch with the board.

If you are thinking about RE write down all the reason why you don’t do it. Then think of those reasons as the bars to your cell – holding you in a prison of you own making. Work on eliminating those bars so you will be able to walk out of that prison.

For all of you new to the board I’ve pasted links below the threads I started along the way that you may find interesting.

If you were to ask me the kind of life I would like it would be comprised of a little of:
www.retireearlylifestyle.com with a dash of growing mentally, a dollop of robust physical activity, a pinch spiritual growth, and an excess of love and laughter.

When I was young the scene from “Then Came Bronson” spoke to me when I saw it. It says what I am about to do and those I leave behind.

Regards,
Dex
__________________________________________________ _________________
“Then Came Bronson”
Opening scene: busy city street...a harried businessman at a stoplight turns to his left, where a young man is revving his motorcycle, and asks...)

"Taking a trip?

"What's that?"

"Taking a trip."

"Yeah."

"Where to?"

"Oh, I don't know...wherever I end up, I guess."

"Pal, I wish I was you."

"Really?...well...hang in there."

The businessman smiles wistfully and nods. The light changes, and off goes the laconic motorcyclist, gunning it out of the city, toward open space and adventure.

The cyclist is Jim Bronson. Although his economy of speech would not suggest it, he is freshly an ex-newspaperman.

Only a few days earlier, a friend, Nick, had lepta to his death from a bridge, but not before asking Jim to buy back the motorcycle from his soon-to-be widow. Jim had originally owned and customized the bike, then sold it to Nick when he became a reporter.
Bronson began thinking about the meaning of his own life. He decided to quit the rat race, simplify, see the country, visit some old friends and discover what life would put in his path.

That is the premise of the 1969-70 NBC series, Then Came Bronson, starring Michael Parks.

Easy Rider was a hit in 1969, a movie about two young counter-culture cyclists looking for the "real" America. Perhaps Middle America was not quite ready for that story on the small screen, but "Then Came Bronson" expressed some of the themes of that movie in a way more palatable to the mass audience (the pilot movie was completed before Easy Rider hit the screen, so TCB was not an Easy Rider knockoff.)

The idea of getting back to basics was "blowin' in the wind" at that time. "Natural" food, ecology and hippie communes were other expressions of this philosophy. However, promotional literature assured us that "for the necessities of life, Bronson works". He owned only his motorcycle, his bedroll and the clothes on his back. Those clothes usually consisted of corduroy pants, black tee shirt, leather jacket, and watch cap (according to Michael Parks, he took this costume from the Jack London bio, Sailor on Horseback).

The two hour pilot movie told the story of how Bronson began his peregrination. Martin Sheen was Nick. Bonnie Bedelia played a runaway bride. After a rocky first meeting and some character-revealing incident, Bronson develops feelings for her that conflict with his need to continue his journey and come to peace with himself.

Then came Bronson
http://tulsatvmemories.com/bronson.html

First Post to the board – it now seems a bit naive.
http://early-retirement.org/forums/i...sg2762#msg2762

On the Path Posts
http://early-retirement.org/forums/i...p?topic=6347.0

http://early-retirement.org/forums/i...p?topic=6413.0

http://early-retirement.org/forums/i...p?topic=6790.0

http://early-retirement.org/forums/i...p?topic=6943.0

http://early-retirement.org/forums/i...p?topic=7355.0

http://early-retirement.org/forums/i...p?topic=7768.0

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Re: I'm FIRE & "and thanks for all the fish."
Old 07-14-2006, 07:40 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

dex, Bon voyage!

Have a great trip to wherever you end up.

Old 07-14-2006, 07:57 PM   #3
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Congratulations and good luck.* A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step; so they say, and now, you've taken it. Carry on.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 08:27 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Congratulations Dex. I have enjoyed reading about your journey over the last couple of years.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 12:12 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Yay! You're still going to keep sending a check into social security for the rest of us, right?
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 04:50 PM   #6

Gratefull Dead: "...what a long, strange trip its been...."

Enjoy
Old 07-15-2006, 06:14 PM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Way to go Dex! I found your inspiration for retiring very intriguing. I remember going to see "Easy Rider" 3 times in the early 70's when it first came out. The movie characters knew how to live life to the fullest. You'll feel even better Monday morning.

--Henry David Thoreau
Retire Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2006, 10:54 PM   #8

Dex:
Quote:
If you were to ask me the kind of life I would like it would be comprised of a little of: www.retireearlylifestyle.com* with a dash of growing mentally, a dollop of robust physical activity, a pinch spiritual growth, and an excess of love and laughter.
Congratulations, Dex! The best to you all ways.

Never underestimate the value of your own contribution to your retirement happiness. Trust yourself, believe in yourself and embrace your future.* With the above 'prescription' for well being, you should do darn well!

How exciting! YAY!

Stay in touch.
Akaisha
Author, The Adventurer's Guide to Early Retirement
Old 07-16-2006, 07:20 AM   #9

[i]*”and thanks for all the fish” from the Hitchhiker Guide to the Galaxy – read the book[/i

To quote another famous literary source...

This is it (thiiiiiis...is it). This is life- the one you get- so go and have a ball!
And whle you're here, enjoy the view.
Keep on doing what you do.
Hold on tight you'll muddle through.
One day at a time.

Congrats on the retirement. Enjoy!!
Andre1969 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2006, 02:05 PM   #10

Congrats! My own retirement is this coming up Friday.
I'm proud of myself for FIRE through saving and investing, even though earning a low salary. But you can be even prouder of yourself, RE on such a good salary and the minimal stress you say your job gave you. I think it's wonderful that you chose the pursuit of happiness over
continuing to make more money.

Here's hoping Monday gives you both a sense of peace and excitement (I think it's possible to have both---that's what I'm hoping for my own RE!)
Old 07-16-2006, 02:37 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

[looks up dex's posting history]

A fascinating and rather inspiring story! Good luck with the leap* 8)
Scrooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2006, 09:22 PM   #12
Recycles dryer sheets

Send a message via AIM to JonnyM Send a message via Yahoo to JonnyM

You're gonna LIKE it!

8) :
Old 07-17-2006, 09:39 PM   #13

Congratulations Dex - You've certainly given this a lot of thought and I wish you happiness and health in your retirement!
Sheryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2006, 06:18 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Thanks for all the good wishes.

This is my 4th day and I can honestly say I'm not missing work. I have my RV and in the Santa Fe, NM area for a couple of days. The temperatures are a bit lower here; the beer is cold and I have wifi internet access. Life is good!
Old 07-20-2006, 09:38 PM   #15

Glad to hear that you are enjoying yourself. Congratulations.
Dreamer is online now   Reply With Quote