Join Early Retirement Today
Old 08-17-2007, 03:38 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by My Dream View Post

25 years ago I read "The Wealthy Barber" well that kick started my LBYM. The next book I read which was given to me by my FA was Rich is a state of mind: Robert Gignac, Michael Townshend but I think that was more tailored to working with a FA, it didn't educate me in the art of investing. Then The Lazy Investor, Stop Working, it taught me what I was already doing, but still an interesting book. My last book was The 4 Pillars Of Investing, excellent book and exactly what I was hoping for, it was so interesting that I even got new prescription reading glasses since I though it would help with my headaches, well the headaches continued since I wasn't comprehending what the author was trying to teach me. I was both interested and confused and finally gave up.

I know that I should get back to the 4 Pillars but I just can't seem to rap my head around it.
IMHO - you should consider some basic investing books that focus on diversified asset allocation strategies with mutual funds. Nothing too fancy. Something that describes how to allocate the portfolio across some asset classes and a basic time based rebalancing strategy.

I prefer no-load, low cost mutual funds... usually index funds. Vanguard is probably the leader in the low-cost indexing market.

You do not need to be a market wizard, but you do need a realistic plan and a strategy for managing your portfolio. Reading some of the threads on this site will be helpful.

chinaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2007, 09:20 PM   #22
Full time employment: Posting here.
Having read this thread and as a fellow Canadian, I would suggest you read Shake's primer Shakespeare's Primer and in particular the sections on Asset Allocation, Cost Control and Portfolios. There is a lot of really good information there with most of it quite straightforward.

You can implement a very cost effective index mutual fund portfolio uing TDW e-funds (with TDWaterhouse) with as little as 4 index mutual funds. You can do a similar thing with index ETFs at slightly lower cost than the TDW e-funds. The advantage with ETFs is that there are many to chose from.

You can chose 4-5 CAD ones with Barclays IShares (Canada) as in for example XIU or XDV (for dividend bias) for Canada equities, XIN and XSP for International and USA equities respectively, and XSB (short term bond) or XBB (long term bond)for your fixed income allocation. You could also implement a simple 5 year GIC ladder (instead of XSB/XBB) for your fixed income component if you do not have the stomach for variations in capital value of your fixed income component.

Instead of using XIN and XSP for your ex-Canada component, you can buy US domiciled ETFs in USD off NYSE/American instead. The popular choices are Barclays (USA) and Vanguard. For example, with Vanguard (my personal favourite ETF company), you can cover the USA with either VTI (Total Market) or IVV (S&P500) or VTV (value slice of the US market), and VEA to cover Europe, Asia and Pacific (or VGK and VPL to cover Europe and Pacific in different slices separately).

Investing does not have to be complicated. There will always be market volatility. The current 'correction' is quite tame compared to other drops when you look at this You need to think about your ability to weather ups and downs and fit your asset allocation accordingly, e.g. is it 60/40 equity/fixed? or is it 40/60 equity/fixed?

P.S. I agree IG is not where you want to be. Their IG mutual fund performances are mediocre at best and have very high MERs. I put them and Edward Jones in the same bucket. Lots of sweet talking individuals with a lot of glossy brochures, presentations and hand holding, but short on performance.

AltaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 07:32 AM   #23
Full time employment: Posting here.
There seems to be some great advice given so far. Thanks everyone, I think it's now up to me to get myself out of this low point and somehow change my attitude. I know the potential is there, so I have to pull up my socks, educate myself, take direction and get to it.

Let's see if I follow through.

My Dream is offline   Reply With Quote