Join Early Retirement Today

I'm practicing for "Life after FIRE"
Old 07-29-2010, 12:42 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm practicing for "Life after FIRE"

DH & I are aiming for 2011 to retire; probably June before we can gracefully extricate ourselves. We are currently 62 (him) and 58 (me).

Meanwhile, I took this week off for a "stay-cation" to practice. So far, it's been a success, and one of the best weeks I can remember.

Monday: Walked with DH early morning. Pruned all 35 rose bushes (in our climate, I moderate-prune mid-summer for a fall flush) and basically cleaned up a lot of the garden. Made homemade yogurt and drained a batch for "Greek yogurt." Made a Bruschetta sauce out of the tomatoes that were piling up on the counter and canned three jars of it. Ate another jar with french bread for dinner.

Tuesday: Another morning walk. Made another batch of yogurt; ate a lot of it. Paid bills. Took MIL to the store and bought some casual clothes for myself.

Wednesday: On our morning walk (is this a new habit?) I mentioned a bike that I wanted to look at. We stopped by Walmart for a few things and then headed to the bike shop. I fell in love with an Electra Townie 21, test-rode one, and came home to think about it. Made a batch of Orange Ginger Jelly from our oranges; canned 7 jars while DH ordered my bike by phone. Picked up my new bike; came home and went for a ride. Watched MLS soccer game. Best day in a LONG time.

Today - DH and I went for a neighborhood bike ride and our 20-yo DD went with us. Vacuumed, watered the garden, and think I'll make another batch of jam. Maybe.

Even though I'm only pretending to be retired, I love it. Yesterday I kept forgetting what day it was, and found my brain trying to make it into Saturday.

Haven't had a bike in probably 25 years - I am really looking forward to enjoying this one. Meanwhile, I'm still practicing this week and am already dreading next Monday. I'm ready.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2010, 01:34 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBored View Post
DH & I are aiming for 2011 to retire; probably June before we can gracefully extricate ourselves. We are currently 62 (him) and 58 (me).

Meanwhile, I took this week off for a "stay-cation" to practice. So far, it's been a success, and one of the best weeks I can remember.

Monday: Walked with DH early morning. Pruned all 35 rose bushes (in our climate, I moderate-prune mid-summer for a fall flush) and basically cleaned up a lot of the garden. Made homemade yogurt and drained a batch for "Greek yogurt." Made a Bruschetta sauce out of the tomatoes that were piling up on the counter and canned three jars of it. Ate another jar with french bread for dinner.

Tuesday: Another morning walk. Made another batch of yogurt; ate a lot of it. Paid bills. Took MIL to the store and bought some casual clothes for myself.

Wednesday: On our morning walk (is this a new habit?) I mentioned a bike that I wanted to look at. We stopped by Walmart for a few things and then headed to the bike shop. I fell in love with an Electra Townie 21, test-rode one, and came home to think about it. Made a batch of Orange Ginger Jelly from our oranges; canned 7 jars while DH ordered my bike by phone. Picked up my new bike; came home and went for a ride. Watched MLS soccer game. Best day in a LONG time.

Today - DH and I went for a neighborhood bike ride and our 20-yo DD went with us. Vacuumed, watered the garden, and think I'll make another batch of jam. Maybe.

Even though I'm only pretending to be retired, I love it. Yesterday I kept forgetting what day it was, and found my brain trying to make it into Saturday.

Haven't had a bike in probably 25 years - I am really looking forward to enjoying this one. Meanwhile, I'm still practicing this week and am already dreading next Monday. I'm ready.

Now slow down all the activities so it takes you a month to accomplish them then you are practicing retirement !

Old 07-29-2010, 02:24 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

When I staycationed earlier this year, I found it amazing how long it takes to do mundane things when you are not in a hurry... Wake up at 8:00 am. Fix my breakfast, eat it leisurely on my patio while watching my vegetable garden grow, do the dishes, take a long hot shower. Wow, it's already 11:00 am! What are we gonna eat for lunch? Think about it for a while, grab a few tomatoes and some basil from the garden, make some fresh mozzarella, eat lunch leisurely, do dishes. Time for a nap or a walk. Holy cow, it's already 3:30pm! What are we gonna eat for dinner? Oh my, go to the store, get the stuff I need, prepare dinner. Eat it leisurely with a glass of wine. Do the dishes. Watch a spot of TV, surf the internet, and then start wondering how I can fit a full time job in my day. The day went by so quickly, I didn't even have time to tackle any of the projects on my list...
Old 07-29-2010, 02:36 PM   #4
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
When I staycationed earlier this year, I found it amazing how long it takes to do mundane things when you are not in a hurry...
A little over 6 months into retirement and this sounds like my routine day.
The DW wants to know why I didn't get more done today.
She thought I would be able to work wonders in retirement.
Things not moving as fast as she dreamed.
Oh well, to bad, get used to it, I'm retired !!!
Its beginning to come to that !!!
Rome wasn't built in a day...
Steve

PS. Yes, I have had several drinks today.
I will not be held accountable for anything I said or thought during this time frame.
Besides this fact, its almost 100 degrees out side right now !!!
Never forget to add the temperature in your arguments firedreamer
Old 07-29-2010, 03:03 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevewc View Post
Never forget to add the temperature in your arguments firedreamer
I do blame the steamy Bama summers for my low productivity around the house... Were humans really designed to live in a sauna 24/7?
Old 07-29-2010, 03:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREdreamer View Post
I do blame the steamy Bama summers for my low productivity around the house... Were humans really designed to live in a sauna 24/7?
Yes, its always either to hot or to cold.
Steve
I rest my case...

OK dreamer, how many days left, I've lost count?
Old 07-29-2010, 03:21 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

Your post describes Heaven on Earth, but don't your teeth hurt?

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverBored View Post
Ate another jar with french bread for dinner.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:24 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevewc View Post

OK dreamer, how many days left, I've lost count?
D-1
Old 07-29-2010, 04:58 PM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

DH is newly retired and I'm off from my itty bitty PT job for the summer. We've really been enjoying the "not hurrying" aspect of all this free time. I can take my time when I'm out rather than trying to keep up a pace so that I can be done by a certain time. He gets an idea of what he'd like to do and aims for it but if something else comes up, oh well, there's always tomorrow, another Saturday.

I just have to be careful that I don't stay up too late and therefore need to sleep too late in the morning. I love late nights but I also love early mornings and trying to have both doesn't work.

FIREdreamer, congratulations and I hope you enjoy your new status!
Old 07-29-2010, 05:23 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Your post describes Heaven on Earth, but don't your teeth hurt?

Amethyst
You know, that must be what did it.... got carried away I guess.
Old 07-29-2010, 05:27 PM   #11
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moemg View Post
Now slow down all the activities so it takes you a month to accomplish them then you are practicing retirement !
Point taken. I run in overdrive most of the time anyway, and am trying to at least choose activities I WANT to do. I feel like I have to cram it all into this week.... which isn't really true.

The best part is that I really lost track of what day it was. I'm usually so scheduled there's no way that can happen. I think I'll take a nap.
Old 07-29-2010, 06:26 PM   #12
Give me a forum ...

By George, I think she's got it

Old 07-29-2010, 08:48 PM   #13

I did some practice runs myself. It was fun to imagine what it would be like. Still not the same. I am just over a month into my retirement and I still haven't quite gotten into a groove. I do love it though.

flyfishnevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2010, 09:02 PM   #14
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfishnevada View Post
I did some practice runs myself. It was fun to imagine what it would be like. Still not the same. I am just over a month into my retirement and I still haven't quite gotten into a groove. I do love it though.
Took me about 2 years. However, I have that German work ethic thing in me big time. Lots of time worrying about not being "productive" and losing my identity which was wrapped up in my profession. It wasn't easy for me like some others but I'm just about there now.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:13 AM   #15
Recycles dryer sheets

I am a "Do-er" -- you know, with a legal pad to-do list, which includes things like "pay bills, buy toothpaste" as well as "prepare knitting project for vacation, make salsa." I've juggled marriage, raising 3 great kids, a career, hobbies, volunteer work, helping DH with his business, yada, yada. I had a full page on my list for the week, and most of them are crossed off.

It will take me a lot of practice and probably time to relax from that way of life; my goal this week was to concentrate on doing the things I wanted to do rather than what needed to be done.

Buying the bike was an enormous step for me. I'm putting the laptop away now and going for a ride. ;-)
Old 07-30-2010, 06:28 PM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
I just have to be careful that I don't stay up too late and therefore need to sleep too late in the morning. I love late nights but I also love early mornings and trying to have both doesn't work.
Just put the sleep phase between the early morning and the late night rather than between the late night and the early morning!