Join Early Retirement Today
Old 02-10-2013, 02:48 PM   #21
Moderator Emeritus
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
There are some cheap place to eat in SF, like chinatown, but not a lot.

Since you are renting in SF and presumably still have a residency in FL, for 2013 it might make sense to check out the residency requirement for CA. I think if you spend enough time out of state, say visiting the kids in MO, you maybe able to remain a resident of FL for 2013.

It is PITA to do file multiple state income tax forms, and IMO California is extraordinarily aggressive about want to tax income you have earned in other states.
Hmm.. good ideas.

San Francisco Area
ESR'd March 2010. FIRE'd January 2011.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2013, 03:05 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Wish you the very best in this move.
Though My CA experience lasted only lasted a few years... work, not living there... my view may be through rose colored glasses. Enough to see and experience within a 2 hour drive, to last several lifetimes.
My territory ranged (central) Oakland... to Grass Valley and Auburn, Placerville, Sonora, and Twain Harte and Watsonville. The mountains Tahoe, and down to Yosemite, just fabulous. Got caught up in the "Gold Rush" history culture, and totally enjoyed San Francisco, as well as Sacramento. First experience with calamari , Fisherman's wharf....1983, when I didn't realize it was squid... @ $14.95.
A great place... culture, climate, history, and enough to stay busy forever.

The only downsides, for us, would have been #1... we couldn't afford it... #2 it takes a while to build a circle of friends and we're getting a little old in the tooth to do that... ok when young, but a little harder as we age. #3. just us, but grand kids are great 'til about age 13-15, after that, not so much.

Affordability is relative. IMHO, it's a personal thing, and based on my short experience here, there aren't many who would take a chance based on a wish and a hope. Am certain you have that figured.

Looking far ahead, one thought... in the event of need for short or longer term assisted, retirement or rehabilitative living, what are the relative costs? Comparable costs in our area, (appt. for 2) is about $40K/yr. Our friends in Long Island are looking at equivalent costs of nearly $100,000/yr.

Last thing... Will you do the move?... or as I'd guess have it done. After 7 company paid/managed moves, the reality of self moving is/was a nightmare. If/when we move again, will pray for a fire!

Envy your new adventure. A truly great part of the world.

One of the "Lucky Few"
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 03:34 PM   #23
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Originally Posted by imoldernu View Post
just us, but grand kids are great 'til about age 13-15, after that, not so much.
This is such a good point.
Looking back, I had a really marvelous relationship with my grandparents (Mom's parents) all through my childhood. For a few intervals, we all lived in the same house, extended family, for 2-3 years at a time.

But when I got into high school, my world opened up to so many new interests that there was no longer time to spend with them, so they decided the time had come to move to Florida.

It was great while it lasted, but I think my memory of it must be fairly typical.
braumeister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:37 PM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Rich, just some random thoughts from someone who moved 5000 miles after ER:

Consider NOT moving your "stuff". I always like to tell the story of moving to Paradise in 4 suitcases (two air fares = 4 bags). This was prior to the airlines "gouging" for luggage handling - as cheap as I am, the story now might have been 'moving to Paradise wearing the clothes on our backs.' We calculated what it would cost to move our stuff and found out 1) Nothing we owned was worth the cost of moving it. 2) Most of our stuff would not fit our new life-style. 3) Believe it or don't, we could store our stuff cheaper than we could move it assuming we disposed of it within a few years. The added advantage of storage is that you can 'come back' if the move doesn't work out. Truly a YMMV scenario if ever there was one.

You may actually SAVE money by moving closer to kids/grand kids. Our situation is the reverse. We moved AWAY from everyone. So now one of the big prices of Paradise is returning regularly to the mainland. Now, you no longer need to travel to SF because you're already there.

You will quickly learn how to ameliorate the costs which typically enter into the scary C-O-L comparisons you read about moving to a so-called "high C-O-L" area like SF (or Hawaii in our case). You've already figured out that cars are a good place to cut back (substituting PT). You'll find many more once moved. Our favorite example is substituting frozen blueberries for fresh. (Fresh can cost upward of a dollar per ounce at times).

Slight disclaimer here: We ARE spending considerably more than we had originally calculated for our change of venue. Fortunately, so far, it is not a problem to us. If it becomes a problem, we know how to fix the problem without moving back to the mainland. Spending several months on the mainland each year is the single biggest "unplanned" expense we face. If that becomes a problem, we can adapt. Again, YMMV.

Best of luck!

Ko'olau's Law -

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote