Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-02-2013, 10:19 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronocnikral View Post
I agree as well. Typically when I travel I avg about 4-5 hours of sleep (working the rest of the time), plus then I have to slog through airports on each end which is a whole day even both coming and going. If a bean counter has a problem with me buying myself a nice steak on the company dime at the end of it after being away from my family for a week, working insane hours and eating ramen noodles the rest of the time, s/he can go screw themselves.
That's all fine and good. But...

Since Megacorp requires you to use the card, and they only reimburse to the card approved expenses, and since the card is in YOUR name, you are screwed.

Break a policy, no reimbursey for you. You have to pay the shortage.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2013, 10:32 AM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWras View Post
That's all fine and good. But...

Since Megacorp requires you to use the card, and they only reimburse to the card approved expenses, and since the card is in YOUR name, you are screwed.

Break a policy, no reimbursey for you. You have to pay the shortage.

Hahahahahahaha! I never met the employee who could not figure out ways to skirt such policies, especially if they felt the powers that be had done them a bad turn on this stuff.

- Will Rogers
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 02:39 PM   #63
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
Hahahahahahaha! I never met the employee who could not figure out ways to skirt such policies, especially if they felt the powers that be had done them a bad turn on this stuff.
Exactly!

Smart people (which are the kind a company SHOULD be hiring) can usually figure out ways around stupid policies.

When the Megacorp I was at first instituted its draconian travel policies, another one of the things they came up with was...you will take the cheapest flight regardless of the airline, or how many connections it was, provided you can still get to your destination on time. So people would search for flights on the Internet before talking to the corporate travel agent, see what was available, then fudge the days/times they could leave with the travel agent so that the only available flight they could make that would still get them there on time was one they wanted.

Hire smart people, and don't nickel and dime them to death when they have to travel on behalf of your business. No, I wouldn't want to see an employee of mine order a $300 bottle of wine with a dinner while on a business trip. But would I throw a fit if they had a nice meal periodically while out of town for me? Hell no. More power to them.
Old 05-02-2013, 03:04 PM   #64
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well, the whole "use our card or else" thing is what I'm getting at.

We've had some just crazy stuff here. People go on trips, but some auditor questions them for weeks on end in order to approve it. Meanwhile, it goes "late" on Amex, and the person who holds the card now holds the bag. We've had other weird things like payments from Megacorp go in and be short due to supposed currency translation issues. Then the holder is late on the small shortage.

All sorts of incompetent crap. That's over and above the "we won't pay for the steak" kind of thing. It is just a real pain in the butt. A per-diem is really the best way to go to avoid all this nonsense.

I could go on. I could tell you about how a coworker of mine got a $59 dollar motel they would not reimburse because he didn't get the approved $169 room. Just nonsense.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:46 PM   #65

I always was an independent consultant when I had to travel. I just added up the receipts and attached them to an invoice and marked "Due upon receipt of invoice".

Never had a problem.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:34 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeAtLast View Post
I always was an independent consultant when I had to travel. I just added up the receipts and attached them to an invoice and marked "Due upon receipt of invoice".

Never had a problem.
Get hired on and try that as an employee and see how it goes
Old 05-03-2013, 06:54 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoneAspen View Post
Get hired on and try that as an employee and see how it goes
I can't recall ever getting an expense report questioned or delayed during my 35 year career with 4 different employers. Certainly none in the last 15 years, and I traveled extensively during that time.

If you knew the rules and kept them in mind when traveling it was easy. Perhaps my employers were better than average in that regard.
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:09 AM   #68

This thread is hilarious.

One of my jobs was managing the folks that reviewed expense reimbursement, and another was setting reimbursement policy. That led me to be a big fan of the travel per-diem. Give a fixed amount, let the employee figure it out. The number of people trying to game the system was unbelievable.

A 30 page policy is beyond dumb. One page, maybe two. More rules only lead to greater efforts to get around them. If folks are going to spend time being sneaky, better to redirect that initiative to making the revenue goals or something equally productive.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:35 AM   #69
Give me a forum ...

What is the policy for compensating employees who have to fly out on a Sunday to attend a Monday morning meeting? Never mind. I think I know the answer.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:17 AM   #70
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanky View Post

I am curious as to why you would spend differently then you would if it was your own money? I understand you are not the only one who thinks like this, but I never understood why.
Here are two reasons;

1. Many of us flew on our own time, often giving up weekend days or after already working a nearly full day.

2. When away from home for day after day, many personal things did not get done and we sacrificed time and experiences with family and friends.
Old 05-03-2013, 12:48 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
This thread is hilarious.

A 30 page policy is beyond dumb. One page, maybe two. More rules only lead to greater efforts to get around them. If folks are going to spend time being sneaky, better to redirect that initiative to making the revenue goals or something equally productive.
+1 That was exactly the point of my OP.
Old 05-03-2013, 01:17 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuirWannabe View Post
+1 That was exactly the point of my OP.
I was agreeing with you on that. IRS compliance is also legitimate but at the same time badly abused as an excuse. In my experience it is more about narrow minded control.