Join Early Retirement Today

"In Praise of Idleness" by Bertrand Russell
Old 01-31-2010, 10:42 AM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

"In Praise of Idleness" by Bertrand Russell

I don't know how many of you follow Jacob Lund Fisker's blog, but he recently put up this compelling Bertrand Russell* essay on early retirement idleness:
In Praise of Idleness By Bertrand Russell

It was written in 1932, so it's an interesting reflection between the Great Depression and the Great Recession...

* Yeah, yeah, I know, WTF is Bertrand Russell. Here you go:
Bertrand Russell
Bertrand Russell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2010, 10:51 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post

* Yeah, yeah, I know, WTF is Bertrand Russell. Here you go:
Ouch! He's one of my favorite philosophers. Excellent writer. Concise and to the point. He explains complicated philosophical notions in understandable terms and puts these concepts and notions in context.

He's a noted mathematician too.

One of my next books to read will be his "A History of Western Philosophy".

Old 01-31-2010, 12:00 PM   #3
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I don't know how many of you follow Jacob Lund Fisker's blog, but he recently put up this compelling Bertrand Russell* essay on early retirement idleness:
In Praise of Idleness By Bertrand Russell

It was written in 1932, so it's an interesting reflection between the Great Depression and the Great Recession...
Thanks for this link Nords. Interesting article and I notice he was 60 when he wrote it and lived on to age 98!

I've been curious about Russell since my early college days. Still have a copy of A History of Western Philosophy which I slogged through one summer. Even back then I was trying to find some solid foundation to a philosophy of life. Nowadays I'm coming to the conclusion that change is the only constant. The parallels with geology are kind of nice. Even those granite rocks will eventually get recycled back to another rock form. But first they have to go back through the mud stage .

Then there is economic theory which appears to rest on a solid bed of hypocrisy. I'll get off my soap box now as I've already said way too much.
Old 01-31-2010, 12:37 PM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Thanks for posting. I always find Russell fascinating.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:21 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Very intelligent man. However, he shared the blindness of his class and generation in England, with their infatuation with the Soviets.

Russell and other leftists and pacifists were a large part of the explanation for England's misunderstanding of Germany's remilitarization in the 30s.

Ha
Old 02-11-2010, 11:34 AM   #6
Dryer sheet wannabe

Thanks for the post, Nords. It made interesting reading and brought back some memories. My late dad, a college professor of Western Philosophy, was a fan (perhaps even a friend) of Bertrand Russell. He hung a portrait of Russell above the piano in our living room, and was ridiculously pleased when a housemaid thought that he was our granddad!
Old 02-11-2010, 12:52 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
Thanks for the post, Nords. It made interesting reading and brought back some memories. My late dad, a college professor of Western Philosophy, was a fan (perhaps even a friend) of Bertrand Russell. He hung a portrait of Russell above the piano in our living room, and was ridiculously pleased when a housemaid thought that he was our granddad!
The help can be so amusing.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:25 PM   #8

Thanks for the post. I read it early in my career, but had absolutely forgotten about its message.

I wonder if it was subconsciously pushing me to ER!
Old 02-11-2010, 03:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
The help can be so amusing.